Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Only have a short time into the 2.0 upgrade so I'm not going to say yet that it is broken or a step backward.  But unquestionably it is plays different now.  The 'no colonizing unless the planet is in your empire' change is huge.  Hope to put more time in today to see how it plays out.

OJsDad

Quote from: Trooperc7 on February 23, 2018, 07:13:38 AM
Im not sure i am liking the fact that colonization can only be done inside your own empire........really slows things down.

I'm not sure it does slow the game down as much as I thought.  Before, you needed Influence to colonize a planet, whether it was inside or outside your borders.  Now you don't.  Instead, you need the influence to build an outpost first.  The cost of Influence to build and outpost is also cheaper, 48 base, instead of the 90 base needed for a colony pre 2.0. 

What may slow things down, is you have to outpost every system you want inside your boarders.  On the other hand, it seems like there are more resources per system.  Not a lot, but not really seeing system with no resources. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Steelgrave

Quote from: OJsDad on February 23, 2018, 10:09:08 AM
Im not sure i am liking the fact that colonization can only be done inside your own empire........really slows things down.

I'm not sure it does slow the game down as much as I thought.  Before, you needed Influence to colonize a planet, whether it was inside or outside your borders.  Now you don't.  Instead, you need the influence to build an outpost first.  The cost of Influence to build and outpost is also cheaper, 48 base, instead of the 90 base needed for a colony pre 2.0. 

What may slow things down, is you have to outpost every system you want inside your boarders.  On the other hand, it seems like there are more resources per system.  Not a lot, but not really seeing system with no resources.

That's a more optimistic take and makes me feel better about starting a new game today.

solops

This all pretty much confirms my pre-patch fears that they were massively mucking up the game. I have PLENTY of other great things to play while (if) they sort this out, so I will not waste my time on playing it...yet. It sounds like, at best, they might wind up with an OK game that is NOT the Stellaris we had or the one that I wanted to buy.

I have been wasting my time playing Civ4 with the new Caveman-2-Cosmos mod v38.1 for 8 hours+ a day for five days in a row. I love being retired. Awesome game, just reached the classical age yesterday ( playing on a sloooow speed ). However, I sense a disturbance in the force....my wife's patience seems to be...ummm...radiating some sort of non-verbal signals.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

bbmike

Quote from: solops on February 23, 2018, 12:08:37 PM
This all pretty much confirms my pre-patch fears that they were massively mucking up the game. I have PLENTY of other great things to play while (if) they sort this out, so I will not waste my time on playing it...yet. It sounds like, at best, they might wind up with an OK game that is NOT the Stellaris we had or the one that I wanted to buy.

I have been wasting my time playing Civ4 with the new Caveman-2-Cosmos mod v38.1 for 8 hours+ a day for five days in a row. I love being retired. Awesome game, just reached the classical age yesterday ( playing on a sloooow speed ). However, I sense a disturbance in the force....my wife's patience seems to be...ummm...radiating some sort of non-verbal signals.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

Sounds like a game breaker to me. I  won't bother playing Stellaris until that is changed.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

solops

In my defense, I did hear her mutter something about "changing the world, one game at a time" during supper a day or two ago. That's good....right?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Gusington

^Absolutely.

Guess I will concentrate on learning Endless Space 2 instead of considering a Stellaris purchase.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

PanzersEast

Quote from: Greybriar on February 23, 2018, 12:27:39 PM

Sounds like a game breaker to me. I  won't bother playing Stellaris until that is changed.

Not really, you have to build Outpost to expand (there is no limit, just a minor cost), however I have not found more than three habitable planets in my immediate vicinity while playing.  I think I prefer the slow growth and focus on deciding where to expand through outpost and building stations to gather resources.  Once you find a neighbor, the rush is on to build Outpost along the border so you do not lose territories.  I cannot stand games where you have to a colonization rush, there is more time to explore and setup and through tech, you can colonize more planets within your domain. 

So far I have numerous Outpost and have +40 Energy and Minerals coming in..... have colonized my max 3 planets, and just about ready to get into a border dispute.

Yskonyn

I am not sure why we are having the 'they broke the game' discussion yet again, because we did discuss the exact same just a few weeks ago and concluded then, after pointing to several dev blogs about the nuances of 2.0, that the changes were not so game breaking after all.
Did you guys enter the Matrix or are you just grumpy and need something to bitch about regardless? :D

The nuance is there. Read the blogs and play the game.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

OJsDad

Quote from: PanzersEast on February 23, 2018, 01:41:51 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on February 23, 2018, 12:27:39 PM

Not really, you have to build Outpost to expand (there is no limit, just a minor cost), however I have not found more than three habitable planets in my immediate vicinity while playing.  I think I prefer the slow growth and focus on deciding where to expand through outpost and building stations to gather resources.  Once you find a neighbor, the rush is on to build Outpost along the border so you do not lose territories.  I cannot stand games where you have to a colonization rush, there is more time to explore and setup and through tech, you can colonize more planets within your domain. 

So far I have numerous Outpost and have +40 Energy and Minerals coming in..... have colonized my max 3 planets, and just about ready to get into a border dispute.

+1

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Greybriar

It wasn't really correct for me to post "Sounds like a game breaker to me. I  won't bother playing Stellaris until that is changed." I was thinking of space 4X games in general. I tried playing Stellaris last year, didn't care for it then, and haven't played it since. I was waiting for the game to be patched until it was something I would like to play. But it hasn't been and I simply do not like Stellaris.

Carry on and I won't intrude in this thread again until I have actually played this game again (which I doubt very much that I ever will).

P.S. Read my sig. ;)
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

solops

Quote from: Greybriar on February 24, 2018, 02:10:37 AM
Carry on and I won't intrude in this thread again until I have actually played this game again (which I doubt very much that I ever will).

Oh, come on! Don't let a few facts ruin a perfectly good theory!

Jarhead0331

Personally, I am not enjoying it. I'm sure there is a wall to break through to positive somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. I'm finding expansion to be extremely frustrating. Without the ability to expand in the early game, its just f@cking boring. Without being able to expand, I'm barely able to defend myself against pirates, which further prevents me from expanding. I'm just not sure why they felt the need to totally restructure the game. Clearly many people enjoyed it as it was...furthermore, it took me damn near half an hour to figure out how to build naval vessels. Why the hell does the UI hide this build menu behind an obscure tab in the starbase menu? I can build civilian ships directly from the spaceport tab in the planet UI, but the only way to build military vessels is to select the starbase and find a hidden UI tab...WTF? It adds two or three clicks to perform a really common function...for what?

Anyway, despite trying to get into a groove with the game on three separate starts, they have only compelled me to go back to Polaris Sector, which I've played for about four or five hours since 2.0 was released.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Alright...perhaps I was a bit quick to judgment. I finally got a fair start and can't say I'm not enjoying myself... :-X
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18