Lots of buzz on Trump preparing a strike on Norks with China support

Started by JasonPratt, April 12, 2017, 08:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 12, 2017, 09:28:19 PM
Hey look! It's the same quote I used, but since Con is quoting WSJ, y'all are gonna buy it

Well, he did use a credible source.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Steelgrave

Quote from: bayonetbrant on April 12, 2017, 09:28:19 PM
Hey look! It's the same quote I used, but since Con is quoting WSJ, y'all are gonna buy it

Quote from: Steelgrave on March 12, 2017, 08:04:43 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 12, 2017, 08:00:30 PM
^^^^^
And where did you learn about such transfers?

It wasn't Breitbart, Rush Limbaugh, or Drudge.

Seriously, weren't you alive back then? It was all over the news. And linking me in any way to those three sources is offensive. But just to refresh my memory, I went back and read stories from the NYT and CNN before posting.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1997/10/29/china.summit/
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/11/world/clinton-approves-technology-transfer-to-china.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/oct/15/inside-the-ring-2059116/
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/05/22/china.money/
http://www.npolicy.org/article.php?aid=452&tid=2

Sigh....consistency, Brant, consistency.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Steelgrave on April 13, 2017, 06:57:49 AMSigh....consistency, Brant, consistency.

I'm totally consistent - a part of me dies inside every time one of y'all asks for more info about something that we already answered in a front page article... :-\
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Does anyone know where I can find a review for OOB: Winter War?

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on April 13, 2017, 07:07:21 AM
Does anyone know where I can find a review for OOB: Winter War?

Not that I'm aware of....let's ask Brant   8)

OJsDad

China is not accepting coal from China. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/12/trump-says-china-took-big-step-in-sending-coal-ships-back-to-north-korea.html

QuotePresident Trump said Wednesday that China took a "big step" in easing tensions between the two nations by turning away North Korean coal ships the day before and returning them to their home port of Nampo.

At a joint press conference with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg on Wednesday, Trump described his relationship with Chinese President Xi Jinping as one with "good chemistry" and praised China's apparent commitment to banning coal imports from North Korea.

"We have a very big problem in North Korea and as I said, I really think that China is going to try very hard, and has already started—a lot of the coal boats have already been turned back—you saw that yesterday and today—they've been turned back," Trump said.

"The vast amount of coal coming out of North Korea going to China, they've turned back the boats—that's a big step and there are many other steps I know about so we'll see what happens, it may be effective, it may not be effective—if it's not effective, we will be effective—I can promise you that."

Reuters first reported the North Korean ship movement Tuesday. According to Reuters, China banned all imports of North Korean coal on February 26—cutting off the country's most important export product—after repeated missile tests from the isolated nation that drew criticism from around the globe.

A senior defense official told Fox News on Wednesday that the Reuters report was "credible."

While the White House said it would not comment on the Reuters report, State Department spokesman Mark Toner told Fox News that all UN Member States are required to implement sanctions resolutions in good faith, and that the U.S. "expects them to do so."

"Full implementation of this resolution will demonstrate global consensus in imposing stronger sanctions on North Korea's sources of revenue for its UN-proscribed nuclear, ballistic missile, and proliferation programs," Toner said in an email to Fox News.

The report also suggested that China's ban of North Korean coal could be beneficial to the U.S. economy, if the U.S. makes up the difference and considers selling coal to China.

According to Reuters data, there was no U.S. coking coal exported to China between late 2014 and 2016, but shipments rose to over 400,000 tons by late February, amid Trump's repeated commitment to restoring the U.S. coal industry and rolling back Obama-era coal regulations.

Under the Obama administration, the coal mining industry lost approximately 36,400 jobs, and between 2009 and 2015, the number of coal mines in the U.S. declined by 554, leaving 853 mines in the U.S.  by 2015, down from the 1,407 in 2009.

Last month, the president signed an executive order to "end the war on coal" and lift the ban on federal leasing for coal production, as well as the "job-killing restrictions" on the production of clean coal and other energy sources.

"We're going to have clean coal—really clean coal," Trump said at the signing of the Executive Order to Create Energy Independence." 

Fox News' Lucas Tomlinson contributed to this report. 

Brooke Singman is a Reporter for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter at @brookefoxnews.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Staggerwing

China may be getting nervous about the tension but it is also a golden opportunity to try and present itself as the 'grownup' in this thing to other Asian nations. If China's status goes up while the US focuses so much on Norkland it's a Chinese win-win.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 14, 2017, 12:33:56 PM
China may be getting nervous about the tension but it is also a golden opportunity for them to try to project itself as the 'grownup' in this thing to other Asian nations. If China's status goes up while the US focuses so much on Norkland it's a Chinese win-win.

That's what I was thinking too. They get to play mediator and look like the reasonable ones.

Boggit

Quote from: mirth on April 14, 2017, 12:35:49 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on April 14, 2017, 12:33:56 PM
China may be getting nervous about the tension but it is also a golden opportunity for them to try to project itself as the 'grownup' in this thing to other Asian nations. If China's status goes up while the US focuses so much on Norkland it's a Chinese win-win.

That's what I was thinking too. They get to play mediator and look like the reasonable ones.
Well if they can pull it off all well and good. At the end of the day Kim Jong-Un has stated that he is developing nuclear ballistic missiles for the purpose of targeting the USA. How long do you wait until he is ready to launch?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

OJsDad

Can someone explain the objection of S. Koreans to having the THAAD system deployed there.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on April 26, 2017, 01:37:25 PM
Can someone explain the objection of S. Koreans to having the THAAD system deployed there.

The S. Koreans have whackadoos who will protest anything, same as us?

Toonces

I looked at a Reuters article about the protests but didn't glean any info on why South Koreans would protest the system.  So if I had to guess, I'd say that they fear it will destabilize the situation and provoke the North to attack.

The idea is that North Korea's nukes act as a deterrent against the South and the U.S. right now.  Once the THAAD is in place, it would degrade the North's nukes' deterrent effect.  Therefore, the North should strike while it still can before the THAAD system is operational.  The South, fearing this THAAD will provoke the North to do a preemptive attack, therefore protest its installation.

Just a guess.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth