Warhammer - Vermintide II

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, March 12, 2018, 11:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I picked this one up a few days ago from GMG during the March Madness sale.  I really enjoyed the first one (didn't think there'd be a second what with the first being the End of Days and all).  This one features the same base characters from the original game but they've tweaked it a bit so that you can choose talents for each character as you progress, customizing their abilities to suit your play style.  I've only been able to level one character up enough to crack my first talent but I think I like the idea.  One idea I don't like that they seem to have borrowed from pretty much every other MP game in the last few years is the Loot Box system.  I keep getting rat necklaces...

If you enjoyed the first one (or never played it but liked the co-op aspect of Left 4 Dead), give it a whirl.  One thing though, they cranked the difficulty up to 11.  You aren't even allowed to play on any difficulty except RECRUIT until you break level 5 and even then, all of us died on the first dozen missions I tried. 

In the original, I played the elf 90% of the time and the witch-hunter the other 10% so I decided to try the opposite end of the spectrum and go for the dwarf.  I seem to be horrible at playing the dwarf.  The only category I seem to get the Number 1 rating in at the end of each run is "damage taken".  I really want to get a shield and go the block/shove/slash route but I never, ever seem to get my hands on one.  The game is toying with me and just tossing two handed hammers and pickaxes at me while hiding all the lovely shields....

Destraex

I grabbed it. Waiting to play it with some friends who will get it. I played vermintide 1 a bit but with the rat men being very bland and rail roaded levels combined with endless spawning of enemies when you lost your way it got very boring and I think we only completed it once if we did at all. We got none of the expansions.
This is literally left4dead in the warhammer world. It's good for a couple of goes but it is not as good as war of the roses for combat. It's an OK game. One for those that love clicking a billion times without thinking too much.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

I got it too, but will probably be awhile before I get the chance to try it out.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

I'd be interested in checking it out, since I'm a fan of the setting & subject, but the video footage tells me it's another FPS that would give me motion sickness.  :hide:

I'm so weak and sickly.  :crazy2:

Destraex

Nefaro I am often the same these days. I get dizzy and have headaches with mechwarrior online. So have not played that for a year.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Father Ted

Quote from: Nefaro on March 13, 2018, 02:17:10 PM
I'd be interested in checking it out, since I'm a fan of the setting & subject, but the video footage tells me it's another FPS that would give me motion sickness.  :hide:

I'm so weak and sickly.  :crazy2:

I used to have this problem until about a year ago when someone suggested I tried video-gaming sober.  Worked a treat - haven't played a game since.

Only joking guys, it must really suck not being able to enjoy FPSs.

Gusington

As I have grown older I have become less good when it comes to fast paced shooters or RPGs too.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

That's how it starts. Next comes missing your belt loops when you put a new belt on. When you're my age, stationary targets are moving too fast to hit them.  :-[
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Gusington on March 14, 2018, 05:01:12 PM
As I have grown older I have become less good when it comes to fast paced shooters or RPGs too.

Play the dwarf.  You don't have to aim.  Just click the attack button and he does a wide arcing swing that hits everything in front of him.  Most of the time you'll just be holding the block button, back-pedalling like mad and swearing at your teammates for not coming to extricate you from your situation.  Just like real life.