Main Menu

12 Strong

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, January 25, 2018, 03:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Just to be clear, my penis and I came to a mutually agreeable accommodation years ago.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tuna on January 29, 2018, 11:46:32 AM
I still love the Tigers in The Battle of the Bulge!

To be clear : Tigers participated in the Battle of the Bulge  (source : https://www.amazon.com/Time-Trumpets-Untold-Story-Battle/dp/0688151574https://history.army.mil/books/wwii/7-8/7-8_25.HTM#p651)

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 301 (attached to the 9th Panzer Division) had Tigers I.
Kampfgruppe Peiper (Schwere Panzer Abteilung 501 attached to the 1st SS Panzer Division) had a few Konigtigers (Tiger II)

Free book : Battle of the Bulge by Hugh M. Cole https://history.army.mil/html/books/007/7-8-1/CMH_Pub_7-8-1.pdf
Part of this very large collection : https://history.army.mil/catalog/browse/title.html#u

mirth

He was referring to the fact that the "Tigers" in the movie were Pattons that had been painted gray and given German markings.

That film was rife with historical inaccuracies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge_(film)#Historical_inaccuracies
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

On the other hand, it did give us this scene

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on January 29, 2018, 01:45:58 PM
He was referring to the fact that the "Tigers" in the movie were Pattons that had been painted gray and given German markings.

That film was rife with historical inaccuracies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge_(film)#Historical_inaccuracies

mirth

Pete Dero

Quote from: mirth on January 29, 2018, 01:45:58 PM

I see.  But that is true for most WWII movies.

Patton : The tanks used in the major battle scene in North Africa are post-war tanks. On the German side the M48 tank (1953) was used and on the American side the M41 Walker Bulldog (1953), M46 Patton (1949) and (mostly) M47 Patton tanks (1952). Ironically, the M46, M47 and M48 were named "Patton."  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066206/goofs

Saving Private Ryan : The Tiger tanks portrayed in the movie are actually Soviet T-34s. You could tell by looking at their wheels. Real Tigers had interleaved wheels. These Tigers had the T-34 suspension. Obviously, Tigers are so rare (only one operational Tiger left) that another tank had to be substituted. But an excellent job was done to make the T-34s look like Tigers. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120815/goofs/?tab=gf&ref_=tt_trv_gf

mirth

^sure. I know about all of those. I was just pointing out that Tuna's comment wasn't meant to imply that there weren't Tigers at the Bulge.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on January 29, 2018, 02:22:50 PM
^sure. I know about all of those. I was just pointing out that Tuna's comment wasn't meant to imply that there weren't Tigers at the Bulge.

There weren't

The entire battle was fought personally between Hitler and Roosevelt piloting Atomic Battle Krakens.  Roosevelt slew Hitler with a blow from his servo-hammer, only to be betrayed by his former ally Stalin, who arrived in his Kraken "Red Fury" and stabbed FDR in the back with a hyper lance.  This is how Truman became President. 

I should know, I'm a history teacher.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

But it is true that after commanding Tiger tanks in the Battle of the Bulge, the German Colonel changed his name, moved to America and hunted sharks for the rest of his life. BIG sharks.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Quote from: SirAndrewD on January 29, 2018, 02:56:39 PM

There weren't

The entire battle was fought personally between Hitler and Roosevelt piloting Atomic Battle Krakens.  Roosevelt slew Hitler with a blow from his servo-hammer, only to be betrayed by his former ally Stalin, who arrived in his Kraken "Red Fury" and stabbed FDR in the back with a hyper lance.  This is how Truman became President. 

I stand corrected.

mirth

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 29, 2018, 03:01:51 PM
But it is true that after commanding Tiger tanks in the Battle of the Bulge, the German Colonel changed his name, moved to America and hunted sharks for the rest of his life. BIG sharks.

That's what I love about this place. You learn new things every day!

BanzaiCat

There weren't

Goddamit, you just gave Harry Turtledove another good idea to destroy in 600 pages of mediocre writing.  >:(

Tuna

Mirth's got my back! O0

mirth

Quote from: BanzaiCat on January 29, 2018, 04:12:32 PM

There weren't

Goddamit, you just gave Harry Turtledove another good idea to destroy in 600 pages of mediocre writing.  >:(

I've already submitted a copyright application for  "Atomic Battle Kraken"