Today's Unboxing - Pavlov's House!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 11, 2018, 09:32:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Cyrano

Like the game a great deal, actually.

And the designer is now officially designated FoG :).

Did you get the play mat?
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Cyrano on July 12, 2018, 09:26:32 AM
Like the game a great deal, actually.

And the designer is now officially designated FoG :).

Did you get the play mat?

Play mat? You mean the mounted board?

Somehow I think whatever you're referencing is going well over my head, like 95% of the stuff around here.  :-\

JasonPratt

Nazis at the Ramparts Ultra-Deluxe!  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Cyrano

Neoprene Mat

• $25: Neoprene mat version of the game board (33" x 17")

KS add-on.

@jason:  There's a bit of "States of Siege" there to be sure, but I really like the interplay between the operational and the single-man tactical level.  A pal and I split the two and it's a good "us-against-the-machine" experience with enough for each to do to seem worthwhile.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

BanzaiCat

Nope. Just the normal mounted board. That sounds cool though.

skirmish_tactics

Thanks so much for spreading the good word! Hanging with the Grogheads crew was the highlight of Origins for me.

If anyone has any questions about the game, let me know!

Also, if you didn't get the companion book (it was included for Kickstarter backers), but want to know all about the history surrounding Pavlov's House, you can check it out here: http://digitalcapricorn.com/Pavlov/Downloads/Companion_Final.pdf (warning - it's the full res (print) version, so the file size is hefty).

BanzaiCat

Quote from: skirmish_tactics on July 12, 2018, 10:12:27 PM
Thanks so much for spreading the good word! Hanging with the Grogheads crew was the highlight of Origins for me.

If anyone has any questions about the game, let me know!

Also, if you didn't get the companion book (it was included for Kickstarter backers), but want to know all about the history surrounding Pavlov's House, you can check it out here: http://digitalcapricorn.com/Pavlov/Downloads/Companion_Final.pdf (warning - it's the full res (print) version, so the file size is hefty).

Thanks for the link, ST. I'm intending to do a full review and if time allows, an AAR as well.

skirmish_tactics

Quote from: Cyrano on July 12, 2018, 03:41:50 PM
A pal and I split the two and it's a good "us-against-the-machine" experience with enough for each to do to seem worthwhile.

Glad to hear you liked the co-op option. I've been hearing lots of feedback from solo gamers, but not many folks have tried the co-op option. That's my favorite mode of play.

BanzaiCat

A question: the only way to move Suppression Tokens from the Supply Box to the Suppression Box, is for one of our valiant defenders to take a Suppression Action...equal to the counter's Suppress Value...correct?

It would therefore be silly to have a Soviet counter do a Suppress action if they don't have any Suppress value, I imagine (which seems to be A, M, and G-rated defenders, though there's a few it seems that do have both).

BanzaiCat

Second question: I've drawn an Assault card for the Wehrmacht. The first (green) area has one Rifleman with a Suppress Value of 1. The rules for Assault say to add up all the Suppress values (which in this case is 1) and then to resolve the Suppress Action on page 10.

So that means I go and roll four dice? The Suppress Action detailed there is for a Wehrmacht mortar, which has a Suppress Value of 4. I'm assuming I just roll ONE die (since it's a 1-strength Rifleman unit) to see if that equals or exceeds the defense value of the green side of the building. Is that correct, just one die? (Or however many dice it adds up to for multiple infantry counters?)

Thanks!

JasonPratt

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 13, 2018, 08:13:40 AM
Thanks for the link, ST. I'm intending to do a full review and if time allows, an AAR as well.

Vote = yes
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Don't encourage him. He has like a million AARs he needs to finish.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Third question (heh, sorry): I'm somewhat confused about Resupply/Storm Group cards.

So once the Resupply side is resolved, the rules state to flip it over to its Storm Group side.

Does that Storm Group card immediately go to the Storm Group portion of the game board, or do you leave it and move on to the Soviet Counter phase, then the next round's Soviet Card phase, and then resolve it in that next Wehrmacht Card phase?

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on July 14, 2018, 06:43:23 PM
Don't encourage him. He has like a million AARs he needs to finish.  :P

You're not wrong.