The Endless Kriegspiel, an AAR

Started by bayonetbrant, May 12, 2018, 08:04:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyrano

Are you the kind of kids that read the back of a mystery novel first?

Don't answer that, I suspect I know.

I had no intention of keeping this same pace in subsequent articles -- my latest tranche runs from 13 - 14 and covers seven videos.

Fast enough?

I am pleased that the first article brought at least some interest to the KS as concept and I'd like to keep the ball rolling.

Oh, at @MD: Thanks for the heads-up on the privacy setting.  YouTube gives me the itch some days.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

Put them all out so we can read through what actually happened in the game!  :D

PS. Who won... and how?  ???

Cyrano

I am definitely NOT revealing that until the last video is out.

Hint:  It's a great story.

Latest group delivered to the keeper of the kingdom.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Barthheart

I hope it's a great story... it took 18 months to write!  :D

mirth

Quote from: Barthheart on May 14, 2018, 08:35:06 PM
I hope it's a great story... it took 18 months to write!  :D

I'm hoping it doesn't take 18 months to tell.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 14, 2018, 10:22:28 AM
Enjoying watching the videos and reading the usual Grog-banter.  O0  How did Napoleon and his Guard get all by himself so far north?

It was a safe enough move: the Prussians didn't have enough independent cavalry (assuming Cy even allowed them to function in combat as independent brigades) to threaten a crack division; and my cav division could withdraw back faster than Prussians could chase me -- possibly into an ambush, since I would have interior lines naturally.

Bess' cav didn't have any fatigue to speak of so I ambled forward to a junction point to get some news and see what was going on. Despite the video, I didn't doubt the Prussians had recently gone -- I mean, they weren't shooting at me -- but I couldn't understand the timing information I was getting there and elsewhere (by courier), and I wanted to be sure a detachment hadn't slipped past us heading for our backfield. Nor was I going to chase after a corps with one cavalry division! (Comparisons with Adolphus notwithstanding but appreciated.  :coolsmiley: )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Quote from: Barthheart on May 14, 2018, 07:54:06 PM
PS. Who won... and how?  ???

Oh, I'm not totally betting that we won. Just as I might have made a small contribution to our win by insisting we not fatigue ourselves, I might have also made a big contribution to our loss by insisting we pace ourselves -- thus running out of time!

But it had to have come down to the wire either way.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

I knew it! I just knew we were holding up the entire French army!  :knuppel2:

Also, although your wife is a very nice person.... she should never again be allowed to handle dice....
:pullhair:
:P

Cyrano

First medals awarded.

Re; My beloved, yeah, um, about that...uh...never mind...

JasonPratt

NOT A EUPHAMISM!

...we're the French, trust us, we'd know.  :D

JasonPratt

QuoteNapoleon I himself could never quite figure out where the Prussians were.  He kept punching forward hoping to hit something and never realized just how empty the battle space was.  In the early marches, he failed to catch the divisions guarding the Hof gap and then both Marshals Soult and Ney kept nudging forward along the eastern routes trying to make contact with Hohenlohe's men who scampered as fast as they were able.

True, but (a) they were tiring themselves out; and (b) we weren't (at this point).  >:D

...whether that contributed to our loss or our win, remains to be seen.

There's a real-world reason why we aren't moving faster in the middle, too: it's two days before Christmas 2016 (!!) and I'm not paying much attention to my email.

Quote(Author's Note: I have no idea why I adopted this melodramatic tone.)

Heh, because the action has started.

JasonPratt

My compliments again (as I catch up with fog reveal on the videos) to West Wing, doing exactly what they were supposed to do (assuming they found anyone): stake out Erfurt, draw attention westward, and probing for any weakness then using their superior mobility to defeat the Prussians in detail (although the dice should be given some wine for helping, too. But Murat & Company put themselves in place to benefit from any good luck or Prussian bad luck.)

Iconoclast

Well, I have communicated my interest in the other thread a few times, but let me say this here again:

I can only imagine the kind of ride you guys have been through. This is more than gaming, this is Kriegsspielen!

Cheers. I look very much forward to the next episodes and "eye-witness" accounts.

A
Wer seinen Kinderglauben sich bewahrt, in einer reinen und unbefleckten Brust, und gegen das Gelächter einer Welt zu leben wagt, wie er als Kind geträumt, - bis auf den letzten Tag: Das ist ein Mann!