Today's Review - Shiloh from TBP

Started by bayonetbrant, April 18, 2018, 10:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Sir Slash

I agree, very honest and informative review. The counters are a little screwy-looking for sure.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Capn Darwin

Bob, if you have a list of the rules shortcomings, send it to my wife who is now running TBP and she can see about getting things addressed (assuming the designer is willing as well).  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bob48

Thanks Jim. I've pretty much shelved it for now, especially in view of the comments made on the games BGG page (by the designer) stating that those rules are now being rewritten anyway. I did quote his statement in the review :-)

Quote.

"In terms of movement, I say do as you will with the rules because they have been rewritten for simplicity for the final edition of the rules (due to come out with a Perryville & Stones River double pack). If you want I will share those rules on here with you. Just let me know"
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

panzerde

This is basically the review I declined to write at Cry Havoc, because I didn't want to seem overly harsh. Now that the cat is out of the bag with two reviews, I have to say that I agree with both Bob and Jim.

There's a game in there, but this one just didn't cook long enough to let it come out. Jim is dead on - the system is overly complex. There are far, far too many DRMs related to the incessant die rolls to keep straight in your head. There aren't enough markers to mark the constantly changing status of the counters, and so you have to try and remember that, too. With counters that are too close to each other in color with too small print.

I like other stuff by this designer, and I like ACW games of this scale. This one should go back for a major rework though.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres