Avengers: Infinity War

Started by mirth, July 15, 2017, 04:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

As long as they don't do the cheesy comic book BS of bringing characters back to life. They killed Cap in the comics with a sniper bullet then brought him back, didn't they?

Death and the Marvel universe seem to have a love-love relationship.

mirth

I doubt they'll be bringing the Chris Evans Cap back. He's been pretty clear for a while about wanting out of the role.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BanzaiCat on March 19, 2018, 09:08:26 AM
Death and the Marvel universe seem to have a love-love relationship.

The worst one was when they brought back Jean Grey in '86 when they launched the X-Factor book.  It wasn't that they brought her back, it was the absolutely crappy explanation they gave, when there was a perfectly good (and actually plausible) explanation just sitting there waiting all along...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jamus34

Yeah unlike the books I imagine a lot of the actors are ready to move on.

Evans, Downey, Hemsworth.

Also wouldn't be surprised if Cheadle, Johansson want to move on too. I also cannot see Cumberbatch wanting to do this for years.

But who knows, I guess everyone has a price.
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

A lot of it depends on the contracts. Sebastian Shaw signed a 9 movie deal which must be somewhere in the middle now. Evans and Downey are at the end of their contracts and are pretty much done.

I'd still like to see a standalone Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo, but what was done with Hulk in Thor: Ragnorak may be the closest we get.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on March 19, 2018, 09:49:47 AM
A lot of it depends on the contracts. Sebastian Shaw signed a 9 movie deal which must be somewhere in the middle now. Evans and Downey are at the end of their contracts and are pretty much done.

I'd still like to see a standalone Hulk movie with Mark Ruffalo, but what was done with Hulk in Thor: Ragnorak may be the closest we get.

3 standalone Hulk movies have been commercial bombs. They're not making a 4th...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 19, 2018, 09:52:37 AM

3 standalone Hulk movies have been commercial bombs. They're not making a 4th...

There have been two standalone Hulk feature films. The Ang Lee movie with Eric Bana and the MCU movie with Edward Norton.

BanzaiCat

I know I'm in the minority, but I liked the Ed Norton version. It had issues but it was light years better than what Ang Lee vomited on the screen.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on March 19, 2018, 09:58:26 AM

There have been two standalone Hulk feature films. The Ang Lee movie with Eric Bana and the MCU movie with Edward Norton.

I thought there was a third one pre-Ang-Lee.  Guess not.  Still, getting to the second after the first bombed was pretty lucky.  They're unlikely to give him another shot to carry a film.

acctingman

mirth

Quote from: bayonetbrant on March 19, 2018, 10:29:20 AM
Quote from: mirth on March 19, 2018, 09:58:26 AM

I thought there was a third one pre-Ang-Lee.  Guess not.  Still, getting to the second after the first bombed was pretty lucky.  They're unlikely to give him another shot to carry a film.

The first one was outside the MCU when Universal still had rights to the character. The second one wasn't really bad movie, but it was a rare miss for Marvel during the MCU-era.

Ruffalo hasn't had a chance yet to carry a standalone Hulk film and he's been extremely popular in the role. The biggest reason there hasn't been a another standalone Hulk movie is the convoluted state of rights on the character:

QuoteIn April 2015, Ruffalo said Universal holding the distribution rights to Hulk films may be an obstacle to releasing a future Hulk standalone film[129] and reiterated this in October 2015,[130] and July 2017.[131] Marvel regained the film production rights for the character by February 2006,[132] but Universal retained the distribution rights for The Incredible Hulk as well as the right of first refusal to distribute future Hulk films.[133] According to The Hollywood Reporter, a potential reason why Marvel has not reacquired the film distribution rights to the Hulk as they did with Paramount Pictures for the Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America films is because Universal holds the theme park rights to several Marvel characters that Marvel's parent company, Disney, wants for its own theme parks.[134] In December 2015, Ruffalo stated that the strained relationship between Marvel and Universal may be another obstacle to releasing a future standalone Hulk film.[135] The following month, he indicated that the lack of a standalone Hulk film allowed the character to play a more prominent role in Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War, and the latter's untitled sequel, stating, "We've worked a really interesting arc into Thor[: Ragnarok], Avengers[: Infinity War], and [the latter's sequel] for Banner that I think will – when it's all added up – will feel like a Hulk movie, a standalone movie."[136]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Hulk_(film)#Future

bayonetbrant

jamus34

I think the blending of hulk / Thor properties was pure genius as Thor was probably the 2nd weakest property and on the low scale in quality of movies. Getting rid of Portman was a great start though. Man has she really gone downhill as an actress IMO.
Insert witty comment here.

mirth

She's quite a good actress, but that was not a good role for her. The Jane Foster character didn't really work in the movies. It was a smart move to ditch the character.

Sir Slash

I knew he should've jumped into that hot Sif's armored pantaloons when he had the chance. I would put the hammer down for her.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.