#TBT: Gaming Nostalgia!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 14, 2015, 09:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Cyrano on August 11, 2015, 11:10:58 PMCome talk to me when you've built a single solar system for this ridiculous creaking mass of an RPG and then we'll have some real nostalgia...

{raises hand}

I actually fought at least 2 battles using the Delta-Vee system, too.  Never again.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Cyrano

I actually LIKED World Killer and the Cartesian representation of 3D space...then again, I liked trig a lot too, so that may be saying something.

Delta Vee, on the other hand, like so much else that SPI did, just drove that sumbitch off a cliff...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

bayonetbrant

Remember when Palladium was all about historical reference books?  So do we!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

you want obscure?  we've got obscure...  O0

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

And yes, Combots is obscure. I may have even played it once or twice, eons ago.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

I don't think I ever heard of Combots. Head of FASA of course, but f&ck them.

mirth

Don't be hating on FASA. Many of my fondest memories of gaming are from FASA games - Star Trek the RPG, Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator, Battletech, the Dr Who RPG...

Barthheart

Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2015, 09:42:46 AM
Don't be hating on FASA. Many of my fondest memories of gaming are from FASA games - Star Trek the RPG, Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator, Battletech, the Dr Who RPG...

+1, why hate FASA?  :o

bbmike

Quote from: Barthheart on August 25, 2015, 09:43:47 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 25, 2015, 09:42:46 AM

+1, why hate FASA?  :o

+2  :o  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

BanzaiCat

I used to love them (LOVE them), but they screwed me on a mail order back in the day. I ordered a copy of "Trader Captains and Merchant Princes" (the first edition, from '83 or '84 or so when it first came out) for the ST RPG. The book was a hot mess - pages double-printed, repeated, not all the content was there, some blank pages...it was an utter and complete travesty that ANYTHING like that could go out the door without being noticed. All they had to do was flip through the bloody thing to see it looked like a thesaurus and dictionary had wicked sloppy sex and left their letter leavings everywhere. And they never made it right.

I might still have it upstairs among my RPG stuff. If I have a chance later I'll go look for it and scan a few pages. As a tech writer/writer in general, sending someone something like that is akin to taking a hot shit into a book and mailing it to the customer. Unforgivable if not made right, and it wasn't.

BanzaiCat

(whoops, cross-posting, no idea how that happened)

mirth

"Trader Captains and Merchant Princes" is one of the few ST:RPG books I don't have (yes I still have all of mine stashed somewhere).

I will grant you that the editing and production values of many FASA ST products left a lot to be desired.

bayonetbrant

y'all oughta check out the ancient TSR ads out there on today's front page :)