#TBT: Gaming Nostalgia!

Started by bayonetbrant, July 14, 2015, 09:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 21, 2015, 09:33:55 AM
Today?  Bond... James Bond.

I really liked how the 007 modules differed from the movies enough to make them playable and at least somewhat surprising.

And who didn't create a 007 character without the 'weakness for women' trait?  ^-^

mirth

umm yeah, it was my 007 character with that trait
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Like anyone here needs to figure out how to role-play 'horny.'

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on July 22, 2015, 10:05:01 AM
Like anyone here needs to figure out how to role-play 'horny.'

And welcome to my sig line.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Huh.  I never knew there was a game. Was it bad?  It seems like it would be bad.

bayonetbrant

Not from our site, but still a chuckle - local newspaper ad from a toy store in Spokane WA in the early 80s.

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

That's the only D&D set I ever owned. I wish I still had it.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

Sir Slash

Mars needs.... Pizza. Don't remember this one. Did it ever go anywhere or just a flash in the galaxy?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Bison

I don't recall this one either. 

bayonetbrant

I played the hell out of this game from 4th grade to about 8th grade. The car chase rules were a lot of fun, and all of our adventures always seemed to have several chases.
For straight up new planetary exploration, Justifiers is a better game, as it's designed with that in mind. But for urban science fiction adventuring, Star Frontiers was a ton of fun

RedArgo

Star Frontiers was my group of friends second favorite rpg after AD&D.  There was also a ship combat add on (I guess, that was a long time ago) that played similar to Star Fleet Battles.

here it is Knight Hawks
http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2010/11/retrospective-knight-hawks.html

MetalDog

In order:

Had 007.  Never had anyone to play the game wit.  Bought it mostly because I liked Bond.

Read the Elfquest graphic novels.  Even read some of the anthologies.  Never played the RPG.

Totally dug Star Frontiers.  Easier than Traveller to get into.  Also, the only sci-fi RPG I had after someone got my Traveller rulebook.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Cyrano

Sorry lads, Star Frontiers was for whoopsies and great women's blouses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe_%28role-playing_game%29

Come talk to me when you've built a single solar system for this ridiculous creaking mass of an RPG and then we'll have some real nostalgia...

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806