Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I'm interested in picking this up. Can anyone advise if there are often "wipes" when new versions are released. I've been playing Naval Action for a year and I can't take another game that will take away everything I have.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

A few pages back in this thread there  was a quick discussion about whether elite had seamless transition from space to planet flight. This is a great video showing what it looks like it's pretty good now. Don't bother with the whole video go to 7:30 minute mark and watch to whenever you get bored. It's pretty seamless.

NOTHING compared to what SC is trying to create so if not comparing. Just answering the question

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spBXAgho3fw

I believe you do "drop" out of glide mode but it's only a second of pause really
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

I just want it to be clear for the record...when I used the word "seamless" I did not mean to imply that the transition from space to planet/moon in Elite is not a "seamless" transition. In comparing it to the SC experience, I just meant that SC will have a much more immersive experience in that transition from FPS, to vehicle, to ship/vessel, to planet, etc. will be entirely seamless. Its a much more complete and robust experience in my opinion.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Elite IS amazing and I do not play it nearly enough. Planetary entry is modelled very cool.

There is a ton of content now with factions, horizons and loads and loads of jobs. The feeling you get when flying around and entering/exiting bases is still exactly what you'd expect it to be like.

I need to build more money. I still only have 1/2 a mil of credits.

Regarding your question on wipes for Star Citizen, I genuinely don't know. All I know since I bought in is there's been a couple of updates and I haven't lost anything.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

The issue of wipes seems pretty unclear at this point. I believe the intention was to have no wipe between beta and retail.

Presently, in alpha, wiping is not really a concern because other than a few outfits and personal weapons, there is not much of an economy and you do not lose your ships in game in the present build either, so you do not really need to worry about building and keeping a balance. This will start to change in 3.0 with the addition of new objects, careers, etc. The economy will begin to grow substantially.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

For the record. 3.0 is going to have a planet...they are ahead of schedule and plan to include a planet and a landing zone as a stretch goal.

Delamar / Levski (STRETCH GOAL)

We are adding the planet Delamar and the landing zone, Levski
    Following meetings on what we could aim to achieve for 3.0.0, we have moved our date out to accommodate this goal.
    ETA is 30th June (was 1st June)

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

vyshka

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 20, 2017, 12:54:35 PM
Elite IS amazing and I do not play it nearly enough. Planetary entry is modelled very cool.

There is a ton of content now with factions, horizons and loads and loads of jobs. The feeling you get when flying around and entering/exiting bases is still exactly what you'd expect it to be like.

I need to build more money. I still only have 1/2 a mil of credits.

Regarding your question on wipes for Star Citizen, I genuinely don't know. All I know since I bought in is there's been a couple of updates and I haven't lost anything.

I'd been away for quite a while, but have been playing ED this past week and with the way missions work now it seems a lot easier to generate cash. Back when I was playing before I had to run a lot of rare goods trade runs to build up the money to buy my Cobra. In this past week of playing I currently have $5M in the bank, and a fully loaded viper mk3. Even running around the region I'm in is generating decent money from discovery scans (added an advanced scanner and surface scanner to the cobra). I'm looking forward to see what RSI does with Star Citizen, but I plan to hold off until it is more complete.

Jarhead0331

The whole two hour and thirty minutes Gamescom 2017 presentation

A good 10 minute summary/overview

3.0 is about two months behind schedule at this point, but it is so close! The wait is so painful.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Alpha 3.0 has been released to first wave testers of PTU!!! Subscribers and concierge members to follow, server stability permitting!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Watch this and tell me Star Citizen is just a scam....

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Downloading Alpha 3.0 now. Just posting to kill time.

<elevator music>
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

3.0 keeps giving me connection errors even in the hangar. Crusader just disappeared from my menu.
As soon as I left the game my son was able to log into starcraft. Thing seems to be heavy on something. My connection is 100MB a second.
I noticed their website is being hammered as well.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on November 24, 2017, 09:41:20 PM
3.0 keeps giving me connection errors even in the hangar. Crusader just disappeared from my menu.
As soon as I left the game my son was able to log into starcraft. Thing seems to be heavy on something. My connection is 100MB a second.
I noticed their website is being hammered as well.

I had trouble earlier today logging in. Was receiving a 15006 error. Apparently, it was a server end issue with CGI needing time to upload the names and account data for all of the PTU invitees. This evening though I've had no problems. Its clearly not optimized and there will be major issues, but remember, this is still just an alpha and its a huge update, so I'm expecting lots of bugs.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Excellent to know it's not just me. Will try again later when the traffic dies down and all you boys head to bed.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

mikeck

After talking to Jarhead off-line, I'm going to pick this up when I get cash (divorce has a way of making your money disappear but a cop will go through 2-3 of 'me) my question is a general one. I'm sure this is MMO but is there a solo mode or some method of playing in a univers where groups of 16 year old kids don't hide behind a space station blasting newbies in their brand new ships. My game time is my quiet time and I'm not usually in the mood to have to talk to real people