Florida deserves its own thread

Started by besilarius, September 18, 2015, 06:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

I prefer to live in alternate fact bliss.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on July 19, 2017, 07:09:24 PM
I prefer to live in alternate fact bliss.

It might be fake news. But someone posted it on FB, so it has to be truthful! Like a CNN story.  ::)

In all seriousness I assumed it was real, because that picture, tho.

Staggerwing

Original article with pix from the Fish and Wildlife Service was dated 2004, and it happened in Georgia.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Sir Slash

Alligators don't usually carry prey around in their jaws like that, they pull them down and stash them somewhere on the bottom to decompose to make them easier to chew and swallow. So, yeah, it looks a little fake to me too. The head in the close-up pic looks doctored to be bigger than normal also and wouldn't be in line with the body. It would be hanging over to one side unless the animal was still alive in which case I doubt the Ranger would be walking that close by. Still, it would make one hell of a pair of boots.  :wow:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

One of the commenters linked to the real story from FWS and that story mentioned that the pix were all taken from a helicopter. The personnel was actually out there on unrelated business when they spotted the gator.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

Sir Slash

Maybe the alligator was just giving the deer a ride back to shore.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

I remember several years ago, on a cryptozoology board, someone was claiming the photos had been taken in northern Alabama. (Or rather, someone elsewhere was trying that, and someone posted to the crypto board to discuss and check for debunking.)

The photos with the deer are real and untouched (but not from Bama). Consensus was eventually that the photo of the hanging gator was real but from a different incident, with a larger head shopped on to make it seem proportionate to the size of the gator in the copter photo(s). Higher res source now, sure does make the head look fake!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, in actual Florida:

YOU ARE NOT MAKING THE U.S. LOOK BETTER ON GUN SAFETY, GUY!  >:D :buck2:

(Note, the video starts with one of the trucks' tires already shot up.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

It's Miami! There's nobody left from Florida or America in Miami. The guy was probably celebrating, "Castro Has A Hemorrhoid Day"-- very big in Miami. Or else revenge for all those robo-calls.

bobarossa

Can't believe you guys haven't posted about this one.
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170727/authorities-man-robs-bank-then-gets-naked-and-throws-money
Hope it doesn't require a subscription to view.  Guy robs bank, strips off clothes and tosses money as he runs.  Says he hoped it would jump-start his comedy career!

Gusington

Could that be Star of the Goatfury?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Isn't that how Sam Kennesaw got started?

Staggerwing

Considering there were no life-threatening injuries, I'm going out on a limb here and say that much of the sheet-metal damage to that vehicle was caused by the Hurst tools or other extraction gear rather than the initial propane flash. If not, then the careless idiots inside would be smashed by the overpressure as well as turned to cooked meat.