Main Menu

Darkest Dungeon

Started by Nefaro, February 02, 2015, 09:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

R'lyeh Nurgle Gothic!

........I'm too late for that joke.  :hide:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

I think I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this.  There seems to be plenty of meat here to justify 10 clams...I spent that much on Wendy's the other day.

(can you believe how expensive fast food has gotten?  10 bucks for a Wendy's #1, large size...that's a lot of mullah!)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

Have you guys bought Crimson Court DLC also?

The completioninst in me wants to add it to my basket, but the reviews aren't too good, and it's only marked $2 off regular price.  I could use that money for lunch, you know?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

-budd-

Quote from: Toonces on October 04, 2017, 04:02:02 PM
Have you guys bought Crimson Court DLC also?

The completioninst in me wants to add it to my basket, but the reviews aren't too good, and it's only marked $2 off regular price.  I could use that money for lunch, you know?
Not yet, I will when it hits 50% off. There's enough meat on the main game until it hits my price. If you get the game don't forget to check the workshop for mods. Mainly different visuals and skins and new characters. I use some skins and background images, I didn't add anymore character classes.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Toonces

This is such an interesting game!  I lost my entire party on the second quest, which was a real bummer, but since I'm still learning the game I'm trying not to take it too hard.  I was on the last room of the dungeon, but just didn't have enough food to heal my party up for the last fight.  I'm kind of bummed at losing my characters, TBH.

However, I still have two of the original party that I sent to the tavern and the brothel for stress relief.  That's how I roll.   ;D

Toonces

This game seems like a no-brainer at 10 bucks. 

jamus34

1) gonna lose a lot more than that. Once they gain a level or two then it really starts hurting.
Insert witty comment here.

Con

Wait till you wipe on the last boss with a full level led team equipped with the best gear and epic trinkets. That's a sting you don't forget

-budd-

Don't forget you can run away to save characters, of course you lose the treasure. Too many run away's and you'll fall behind the money curve, it's a balancing act. One of the things i spend money on early is the ability to expand my roster, and i fire anyone will really damaging traits or illnesses. I wait a bit before i invest in a character. I try to have an "A" team and "B" team and some bench players. If your feeling confident go through a dungeon without torches, the treasure is better the lower the light.

Toonces

The game said something about the treasure being better with lower light, but I didn't quite get it.  That's good to know.

I've had a few characters die of heart attacks.  That was amusing.

I dunno...I'm really grooving on this.  Surely for the price it's already been a good investment.

-budd-

Quote from: Toonces on October 07, 2017, 08:01:33 PM

I dunno...I'm really grooving on this.  Surely for the price it's already been a good investment.

Preach Brother  O0

FarAway Sooner

Resurrecting this thread from the dead to say...  I got this game at the Steam Holiday Sale for $8, and I'm totally loving it so far!

I'm a few quests in, had just gotten done breezing through my latest Expedition, and was feeling cocky.  My best character (a Crusader) had rested his soul by Praying at the Abbey, and my loverlorn Mutant Warrior is insistent that he will ONLY spend time in the brothel when left in town, so I was feeling cocky.

***Spoiler Alert***

I'm exploring the first level of one of the easier parts of the Mansion Ruins, when I stumble across a peculiar artifact with the instructions "Insert Torch to Witness the Void".  Well, one of my characters is an Occultist, so I think, "Hey, he's an Occultist and this looks like an Occult thing.  I've cleverly read the instructions, and I've also cleverly made the connection that this funky artifact is an Occult-type thing.  I bet this game will reward me for my cleverness and problem-solving."

Instead, my party is summoned into a nether dimension to fight a horrific creature with 3 times the hit point of my staunchest warrior who summons 2 minions at the start of every turn to serve as fodder.  I'd not discovered the "Retreat" button at the top of the screen, but did so at Round 5--by which time my failure to retreat successfully on that turn proved the death knell of my party.  I lost 3 of the 4, and the 4th is now a shattered hulk of himself who's so freaked out by his trip to the nether dimensions that he's of no use.

Did I mention that I'd spent all my Gold upgrading buildings and outfitting my expedition?   ;D

I think it might be time to start a New Campaign!

-budd-

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on January 29, 2019, 09:26:32 AM
Resurrecting this thread from the dead to say...  I got this game at the Steam Holiday Sale for $8, and I'm totally loving it so far!

I'm a few quests in, had just gotten done breezing through my latest Expedition, and was feeling cocky.  My best character (a Crusader) had rested his soul by Praying at the Abbey, and my loverlorn Mutant Warrior is insistent that he will ONLY spend time in the brothel when left in town, so I was feeling cocky.

***Spoiler Alert***

I'm exploring the first level of one of the easier parts of the Mansion Ruins, when I stumble across a peculiar artifact with the instructions "Insert Torch to Witness the Void".  Well, one of my characters is an Occultist, so I think, "Hey, he's an Occultist and this looks like an Occult thing.  I've cleverly read the instructions, and I've also cleverly made the connection that this funky artifact is an Occult-type thing.  I bet this game will reward me for my cleverness and problem-solving."

Instead, my party is summoned into a nether dimension to fight a horrific creature with 3 times the hit point of my staunchest warrior who summons 2 minions at the start of every turn to serve as fodder.  I'd not discovered the "Retreat" button at the top of the screen, but did so at Round 5--by which time my failure to retreat successfully on that turn proved the death knell of my party.  I lost 3 of the 4, and the 4th is now a shattered hulk of himself who's so freaked out by his trip to the nether dimensions that he's of no use.

Did I mention that I'd spent all my Gold upgrading buildings and outfitting my expedition?   ;D

I think it might be time to start a New Campaign!

Yea, your done, restart. You fall behind the money curve, and it gets even more difficult. Big part of the game is managing your negative traits. i wait a bit before i invest in a character, they start collecting a bunch of negative traits and that can get expensive. Did you figure out your favorite lineup yet, your "A" team so to speak.

FarAway Sooner

I'm having a hard time finding enough healers.  I like having one melee dude (Hellion, Crusader, Man-at-Arms), one shooter/area-effect dude (Highwayman), one healer (Vestal), and one artillery dude.  Not sure yet if I like the Blight Bomber's ability to poison a couple guys and wear them down steadily, or the Arbalest's ability to just lay the hurt on one particular target.