S. Craig Taylor passes on

Started by bayonetbrant, June 24, 2012, 06:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Prolific wargame designer from Avalon Hill and Yaquinto.  Lately of Lost Battalion games.

Good blog post here

http://misternizz.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/the-passing-of-s-craig-taylor/

Profile page at BGG includes a lot of your favorites

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/136/s-craig-taylor

Wooden Ships & Iron Men
Tac Air
Air Force
CV
Flat Top
Firepower
Sergeants! (LBG)
Brawling Battleships
Guadalcanal
Midway
Naval War
several of the Napoleon's Battles series
Platoon
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

:( Sad to hear. He sure was one busy guy though!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Back in the 70s, he was also deeply into miniatures games (the original WISM was a rules booklet for playing with miniature ship models.  We used to get a lot of mileage out of the old Milton Bradley game Broadsides.  The ship pieces were fine for the game.)
His American Civil War rules, Rally Round the Flag, are still used by some groups, forty years after being published.
Battle Line Games was a real font of great, playable designs.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

Sad news. That's an amazing list of games he was involved with. I'm just getting into Flat Top for the first time. My regular gaming group is planning an all day double-blind game for the near future. I'll be sure to raise a glass to Mr. Taylor on that day.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jack Nastyface

I own or have owned a number of his games.  Godspeed, Mr. Taylor...
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

GJK

I remember getting Flattop (Battleline edition).  Bright red/white box with the Rising Sun flag on the cover.  The counters were extra thick via Yaquinto style and the rulebook was filled with detail like I had only seen in Panzer or '88: arm your planes, outfit them with either AP or GP bombs, etc, etc.  It was one of my favorites back in the day. 

More recently, I had picked up a copy of his "Sergeants on the Eastern Front" game and I enjoyed it.  A very dumbed down version of ASL that was quick and easy to get in to and the maps are A4 letter sized so very tiny battles. 

Sorry to hear about his loss, he was a pioneer in the board wargaming community.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Rekim

Thank you Mr. Taylor for the many hours well wasted. RIP

Until this weekend, I had no idea that 3 of my favorite wargames from my youth were attributed to one man:

- Airforce
- Flat Top
- TAC Air

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Oh man. Midway was my very first wargame ever. So in one way, he changed my life by introducing me to a great hobby and lifelong love of history. RIP brother.

GroggyGrognard

Another wargamer brother gone to the other side to play and design wargamers for an eternity. Bless S. Craig Taylor for his priceless contribution to our hobby.

Quote from: Rekim on June 24, 2012, 07:38:52 PM
Thank you Mr. Taylor for the many hours well wasted. RIP

+1   I remember playing 'Naval War' and 'Tac Air' in the late 80's for countless Saturday afternoons down at my local gaming store.  I believe 'Naval War' was my first beer & pretzels game. Good times.
"Strong prejudices in an ill-formed mind are hazardous to government."
-Barbara W. Tuchman, The March of Folly: From Troy to Vietnam

"The owners of this country know the truth: it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin