Russia Besieged Deluxe is out

Started by solops, August 29, 2018, 12:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Russia Besieged Deluxe, from Compass Games is out. It is the third iteration of the game, which was really good the first time around 12 years ago. I have it on order and have read the designer notes from the manual online. It looks like they have really polished up an already good game. I have both Russia Besieged edition 1 and edition 2 and I really liked each of them. I was (am) an avid player of the old SPI War in the East and later Fire in the East/Scorched Earth. Unless you want to go to that level, Russia Besieged is my favorite East Front game.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

ArizonaTank

Quote from: solops on August 29, 2018, 12:41:03 AM
Russia Besieged Deluxe, from Compass Games is out. It is the third iteration of the game, which was really good the first time around 12 years ago. I have it on order and have read the designer notes from the manual online. It looks like they have really polished up an already good game. I have both Russia Besieged edition 1 and edition 2 and I really liked each of them. I was (am) an avid player of the old SPI War in the East and later Fire in the East/Scorched Earth. Unless you want to go to that level, Russia Besieged is my favorite East Front game.
+1 just got my copy.

Deluxe includes the expansion scenarios and counters.  Also 5/8 counters for my older, now less than nimble fingers... plus a bunch of new stuff based on years of tournament play.

Here is a BGG discussion from the designer on what is in the Deluxe version: 
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2028396/reprint
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GJK

Not a fan of some of the new artwork - Pripyet has that "mold growing on the map" look to it.  That said, it's a very fun game and the level is perfect if you don't want to bog down in a heavy East Front game but want a little more meat on the bone than what The Russian Campaign gives you.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

ArizonaTank

Quote from: GJK on September 01, 2018, 07:35:45 AM
Not a fan of some of the new artwork - Pripyet has that "mold growing on the map" look to it.... 

thanks for pointing it out....now I can't get it out of my head...  :hide: 

Some of graphics for mountains and forests look like thick globs of paint that have been boiled...  But it really isn't that bad...I can get accustomed to it.

I agree...with your sentiment...they would have done better to just stick with convention in terms of graphics. 

A good pic at BGG if anyone wants to see for yourself...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/4266356/russia-besieged-deluxe-edition

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bob48

I used to have the L2 version and sold it; I know it generally has good reviews, but, for some reason, I just couldn't take to the game at all.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Rekim

I traded my L2 version on BGG just last month due to poor prospects of finding an opponent (I try to avoid becoming a collector). The wife was quick to point out the low odds of finding someone to play my newly acquired copy of Rommel In The Desert with. I know a couple of local peps who enjoy block games, so haven't given up hope on that front just yet.

The insane part is, I'd still love to get my hands on a copy of the new Compass release of RB.