Total War Arena (Free to play on the wargaming.net client) free4public no resets

Started by Destraex, February 23, 2018, 05:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on February 25, 2018, 10:32:29 PM
I've just been PvP'ing lately.   ^-^

I played the total war series from the very, very beginning. Medieval Total War 2:Kingdoms was my favorite, easily in the hundreds of hours. I should be competitive in PvP. I'll see you there when I get to a higher level.

Tuna

Downloaded before heading to work. Which class is needed the most?

Hey no Steam, maybe 2nd would take the hook as well.

I still want to finish the first They Are Billions map though.

DennisS

Quote from: Tuna on February 26, 2018, 11:13:53 AM

Given my limited play experience, I would say that archers are in short supply. They also appear to be the toughest unit to play. Doesn't help that all the soldiers, even those with shields and armor run like Usain Bolt. I appreciate that they want a quick game, but DAMN these guys are fast.

This means that surges and swings happen very quickly. If you have archers, you need to micro the hell out of them to keep them in range to fire, but far enough away from the spears and swords to survive. Not easy. There are locations and overlooks where you can fire down upon the enemy. I am assuming that these perches will become well known over time..and if you can get a shield wall to protect you in these areas, you can snipe the hell out of the enemy, and do disproportionate damage.

This is a good game. My straight up melee is fun to play, and I subscribe to Lord Nelson's instruction to his Trafalgar navy...put your guns alongside of an enemy, or in this case, get in there and hit somebody!

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on February 26, 2018, 11:13:53 AM

The only type I see people playing most often are the Roman legion infantry.  Matchmaking seemed to take longer when I queue up with them because of it.

I guess that makes sense because the Roman infantry are the most straightforward to run.  Spearmen have a Phalanx skill that you have to micro-manage more while in combat; the fatigue management "shuffle" back & forth, and will cause friendly casualties if they're in front while on.  The skirmisher types (archers, javelinmen, slingers) are squishy as all hell so you have to keep aware of what's happening around you, and often have to kite around to avoid getting killed quickly.  Cavalry require you to be quick, sneaky, and not run into the front of infantry or get stuck in melee for long, so even more clicking than usual.

I've been running a Greek infantry phalanx commander (T2 almost T3), and a Greek Archer one (T2) for the most part.  Also enjoying some Barbarian cavalry on occasion, although I may switch over to Alexander + Greek Cavalry after I unlock him as a general and grind him up.

All the different types are enjoyable in their own way.  That definitely helps the enjoyment.  It's still a very team-oriented game, so if you get some yahoos who don't know what they're doing your team could still end up losing despite your good performance.  Like any other Wargaming arena style games.

It's common knowledge that the recently released War Elephants, in the Carthaginian faction, are OP right now.  They available until around Tier 5 though.  Assured to get the nerf bat soon, so I probably won't get to that tier of battles before they get the dev axe. 

One thing to note, regarding tiers compared to other WG games, is that you not only have to unlock the individual troop units for a specific tier with XP, but also advance the Generals to same tier to be able to use them together.  Both types make XP on each battle, so it's just a matter of using them. 

Also.. the battles only last a maximum of 15 minutes.  Often less when a cap or complete wipe happens.  So the matches take less time than other similar games.

jomni

Quote from: Nefaro on February 26, 2018, 03:42:54 PM
The only type I see people playing most often are the Roman legion infantry.

In WW2, everyone wants to play Germans.  In ancient times, everyone wants to play Roman.

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on February 26, 2018, 05:10:50 PM

In WW2, everyone wants to play Germans.  In ancient times, everyone wants to play Roman.

Except me!   <:-)

Although I like the stats on the Roman cavalry, so I'll end up having to do the legions to unlock that line anyway.

Nefaro

jomni

Tuna

Added you as a friend Nef.. Hancock's been playing Rome II. .maybe he'd be into it..

DennisS

Quote from: jomni on February 26, 2018, 05:10:50 PM

Ummm...for a reason. Rome had the best military for about four hundred years.

Destraex

Dennis, the game spans a long time frame. So you get the various dominant militaries of the ancients thrown against each other. A good example is the Alexander the Great Commander and his macedonian phalanx and companion cavalry. Historically the Romans still found the macedonian style phalanx hard to beat and were even beaten by it in at least one battle iirc. Also Carthaginian armies were often led by Greek generals and had huge Greek Hoplite elements and won. I would say their are more Barbarian victories than we know of as well, not just the battles that Rome sent huge armies into.
Also remember that the victors write the history. There may be battles we do not know of that the Romans lost.

I play all factions and find that most are fairly well balanced in thier historical fighting style to mirror what the historical counterparts did. This goes for the Generals as well. In general terms these battles could mirror any total war force match up or even historical army.

The most interesting aspect of the game is the combinations of forces you can have with friends. Some support generals can buff friendly forces nearby!

I am only just at tier 3 now with my Carthaginians.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Tuna

Is this related to the Total War games that we already play and love? It does seem to be different with regards to handling the troops. Also like someone else said, I do think they move way too fast!..

But had fun the three games I played. Kind of stunk that all three games were on the same map. Look forward to playing some more tonight.

Destraex

Yes. The creators are CA (creative assembly) but the publishers are now Wargaming.net for the platform at least. Also I think wargaming.net probably do a lot of the WOWs style balance work and F2P style stuff.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"