Stars In Shadow - Another Space 4X

Started by Jarhead0331, September 12, 2016, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuna

Just finished my first game last night, I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome and it's not even an FPS that required fast clicking!!!

Shelldrake

Quote from: Tuna on August 30, 2017, 05:55:54 AM
Just finished my first game last night, I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome and it's not even an FPS that required fast clicking!!!

How do you rate the game? I have had a hard time getting into Master of Orion 4.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Nefaro

Quote from: Shelldrake on August 30, 2017, 10:42:59 AM

How do you rate the game? I have had a hard time getting into Master of Orion 4.

Sounds like an 8.5 on the carpal tunnel scale.

Wait... I thought people were saying MOO4 was too simplified?  Or is your problem just getting in the mood for it?

Shelldrake

Quote from: Nefaro on August 30, 2017, 12:01:20 PM
Quote from: Shelldrake on August 30, 2017, 10:42:59 AM

Sounds like an 8.5 on the carpal tunnel scale.

Wait... I thought people were saying MOO4 was too simplified?  Or is your problem just getting in the mood for it?

Mood is the problem. Same tech tree for all races and really not much difference between playing each anyway.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Tuna

I'd call it beer and pretzels four x. But really the battles are fun, I hate how most 4x, don't really let you control anything in battle. Figuring out how you have to equip your ships, where to focus your research. Races have little differences between them. Some can't build certain classes of ships. Humans start out without a homeworld.

Watch a few videos, you'll get a feel for what it's like. Not a huge learning curve.

bbmike

If you are tired of the too blue space background, here's a mod to change it. Find the following file:

Steam\steamapps\common\Stars in Shadow\Lua state\Drawers\Background\tile_lower_con.png

save a copy (so you can revert back), and change it with this one (right click and 'Save Image As...' over the current one):

Here's what it will look like:

If I get bored I might change out more of the interface and tone it all down.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on February 25, 2018, 09:28:01 AM
If you are tired of the too blue space background, here's a mod to change it. Find the following file:

Steam\steamapps\common\Stars in Shadow\Lua state\Drawers\Background\tile_lower_con.png

save a copy (so you can revert back), and change it with this one (right click and 'Save Image As...' over the current one):

Thanks!

Been wanting much less blue in that game.  Dunno why they went so damn nuts with giving everything a blue tint of some sort.   :idiot2:

solops

I HATE the blue background. Even though it is only a trivial thing, it has really kept me from playing. Sad, huh? I think I will really spend more time with it now. The cartoony races do not bother me because I rarely see them. But the blue background is CONSTANT. SiS is a good and under-appreciated game.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Tanaka

Quote from: bbmike on February 25, 2018, 09:28:01 AM

Thanks for the tip I got the main screen to look so much better but cannot for the life of me edit the space screen with my own pics. How did you edit the pic to get it to fit the full screen? I get overlapping ones?

bbmike

^That looks better!  O0
Not sure what you mean by 'fit the full screen'. I just used the same image size as the original which was 2,048px × 2,048px.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Tanaka

Quote from: bbmike on February 28, 2018, 06:11:19 PM
^That looks better!  O0
Not sure what you mean by 'fit the full screen'. I just used the same image size as the original which was 2,048px × 2,048px.

Yep I did the same thing but if you look at my second pic you will see four images converging. I can't get it to just be one image?

bbmike

Quote from: Tanaka on February 28, 2018, 07:36:11 PM
^That looks better!  O0

Yep I did the same thing but if you look at my second pic you will see four images converging. I can't get it to just be one image?

Yeah, that's a problem with the program itself. They seem to tile the image. Even the original game files look like that if you look closely. I tried to edit the edges of my image to make it less noticeable.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Tanaka

Quote from: bbmike on February 28, 2018, 07:43:49 PM
Quote from: Tanaka on February 28, 2018, 07:36:11 PM
^That looks better!  O0

Yeah, that's a problem with the program itself. They seem to tile the image. Even the original game files look like that if you look closely. I tried to edit the edges of my image to make it less noticeable.

Ah that was driving me crazy haha. Now I know why yours looks so much better! Will use yours then thanks!