So is World-war-one-centennial-edition by AGEOD?

Started by em2nought, March 10, 2017, 03:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobarossa

Just bought it but haven't tried it yet.  The manual is 229 pages long!!!!!

JasonPratt

I can't recall if WW1Cent combines them, but WW1G featured at least two manuals, one being a 16 page addendum that upgraded the original game to the "Gold".

The page number you reported is exactly the same as the WW1:GreatWar manual, though. You should poke around to see if the "WW1_Gold_Additions_Manual" is included with Cent.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

sandman2575

This is an absolute beast of a game to learn. Part of the difficulty stems from the fact that different rules apply at different times in the war -- notably, the transition from movement to trench warfare by 1915, and the introduction of grand offensives. There's really no way to just feel you way through this one. Studying the manual is mandatory.

You might also ignore the Tannenberg tutorial scenario, which is more confusing than clarifying, in my opinion. Or, glean what you can from it, but don't fret when certain things make no sense and the tutorial doesn't help you make sense of it. Probably just better to move on to the real campaign at that point.

Did we ever get to the bottom of what happened with Centennial Edition? The rumor, as I understood it, was that AGEOD blocked Digital Froggies from continuing to market the game, seemingly because they didn't have the proper rights to distribute it in the first place -- and also, To End All Wars was coming out and CE presented unwanted competition. But it doesn't seem like anything ever got resolved -- Digital Froggies disappeared and CE isn't offered on Steam anymore. Was AGEOD behind the legal challenge?

It's too bad, because frankly, Gold / Centennial Edition was a much better WW1 grand strategy game than To End All Wars.

EDIT -- oops, I see Jason already covered some of this. But I'm still not sure if AGEOD ever copped to being the ones who were blocking Digital Froggies. Lots of questions still surrounding what the heck happened here.

bobarossa

The manual says Centennial Edition at front and top of each page.  Can't find any mention of 1917 campaign so they may have just changed title.  Don't see an Gold manual but there is a Leader list PDF.  My version of game says 1.0 but there is mention of an update in community section.  Did they disable patching when they stopped selling game at Steam?

edit: found a steam thread that says the updated version still shows 1.0   They could have at least made it 1.0a

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on March 13, 2017, 09:55:23 PM
I always enjoy that old man shouting CHARGE!

I created a Sound Mod for the old Gold edition, years ago, because some of those sound effects were just plain annoying after a bit, or lasted too long. 

That old man sound was one of the replaced ones, along with one or two others featuring the "old man yelling in a tin can" sound effect.  Plus some of the others, like 30-second long sound files being used for a map click sound, a rare but long & shrill telephone bell ring, and a couple others.  Adjusted them in a sound mixer, and moved bits from others.  Think I lowered the volume of the background music in one version, too, because it tended to blare out the normal game sounds.

I'd imagine it would still work with Centennial edition unless they changed the changed the sound file names.

Problem is - it doesn't exist on the AGEOD forum anymore, where it used to be hosted.  404'd.  I think their WWI Gold forum was deep six'd.  Not even sure I still have it backed up somewhere.  The only surviving mention remaining is the Matrix one linking to it.  :-\ 

JasonPratt

Quote from: sandman2575 on March 14, 2017, 10:17:33 AM
You might also ignore the Tannenberg tutorial scenario, which is more confusing than clarifying, in my opinion. Or, glean what you can from it, but don't fret when certain things make no sense and the tutorial doesn't help you make sense of it. Probably just better to move on to the real campaign at that point.

This was the main reason I created the AbNewb tutorial -- as an exercise in ordering my thoughts in the wake of the Tannenberg tutorial + the manual(s).

I will give the original GrandGuerre/Gold devs full credit for at least trying to create an in-depth in-game tutorial, though!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Moreb

Quote from: bobarossa on March 14, 2017, 11:53:57 AM
The manual says Centennial Edition at front and top of each page.  Can't find any mention of 1917 campaign so they may have just changed title.  Don't see an Gold manual but there is a Leader list PDF.  My version of game says 1.0 but there is mention of an update in community section.  Did they disable patching when they stopped selling game at Steam?

edit: found a steam thread that says the updated version still shows 1.0   They could have at least made it 1.0a

http://www.ageod-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=240&t=17651
When dongles fly? - mirth

JasonPratt

I know one of my Tutorial/AAR threads (linked above, I think the BGSM) also includes a link to a fan patch that works on Cent.

...dang, all this is making me want to try again. I'm sure the way around the fatal crash is to only turn on manual fights when it's actually my turn, and then turn them off before passing the turn on. And since I started using Shadowplay to take my snapshots from, I don't have to keep reloading to get snapshots, which will get around the problem (not otherwise a problem except for the AAR) of reloads activating new random choices by the AI.