Major New Steam Annoyance w/Chat - Workaround

Started by Grim.Reaper, July 27, 2018, 05:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Most things typically don't bother me, but with the new Steam client really hate the fact by default when you start Steam, it now creates a separate popup for chat.  Even worse for me is the fact I have Steam start automatically when my computer starts up, so I am always having to move it around or close it.  If you don't like this like I don't, workaround below....although a few steps, well worth it for me....can't believe Steam did not include an option to turn it off...crazy.

1)  Create a new shortcut that points to the Steam.exe file.
2)  Within the shortcut, add the following parameter to it -nofriendsui.  for example C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe -nofriendsui

Now you can start Steam without the annoying chat popup.

If you want this capability and still auto start when your PC starts up:

1)  Go into Steam and turn off the box that says to autostart
2)  Copy/move the desktop shortcut to the startup folder on your PC

** If you don't know where your startup folder is, go to the search bar in bottom left of Windows, type RUN.  When the box shows up, type shell:startup...this will bring up explorer with the startup folder active

If you are OK with the new way of displaying chat, then just ignore this:)

Wolfe1759

Thanks for this, it was getting a tad annoying.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

CJReich46

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose