Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

soon: Perhaps an early access announcement?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

I'm going to be in the middle of a God damn deposition when this feed goes live, damn it!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Jarhead, that was an amazing video! Loved it. Perfect song after Danger Zone for this kind of video :) TOP GUN Maverick 2 producers are you listening! That got me so parmped, I feel like Arnie right now after the gym.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on December 07, 2019, 02:03:39 AM
Jarhead, that was an amazing video! Loved it. Perfect song after Danger Zone for this kind of video :) TOP GUN Maverick 2 producers are you listening! That got me so parmped, I feel like Arnie right now after the gym.

Yes. Looks so awesome.

Would you believe there are people complaining about "stiff" deck crew animations. How can any fan of DCS walk away from THAT video complaining. Rare breed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JasonPratt

Good Lord! -- how walkable are those carrier models?!?  :o
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MOS:96B2P

Quote from: Destraex on December 06, 2019, 09:15:05 AM
soon: Perhaps an early access announcement?

Now THAT is a cool video!!!

SirAndrewD

I'm going to try the free portion on the standalone platform tomorrow. 

I know the game is available through Steam.  Is it generally preferable to go forward with Steam or Standalone from everyone's experience?

I've been 100% Standalone on IL2 Great Battles.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Destraex

10:45 Gents. Corsair video for DCS at the virtual airshow and interview with the devs it seems, Essex class carrier will come with it?:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/518261786?t=10h45m19s

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on December 07, 2019, 10:38:56 PM
I'm going to try the free portion on the standalone platform tomorrow. 

I know the game is available through Steam.  Is it generally preferable to go forward with Steam or Standalone from everyone's experience?

I've been 100% Standalone on IL2 Great Battles.

I prefer standalone because new modules and early access builds are almost always released on the standalone DCS World platform first. Availability on steam varies and there are sometime pretty substantial delays. Also, I'm not sure if the beta builds are all available on steam. I would assume they are if you subscribe to them, but I'm not sure how that works on steam. I run the open beta version of DCS World since this has the most current updates and content. New modules are always released to open beta first.

Finally, sales on steam are inconsistent. Sometimes the DCS Stuff will be on sale on their website, but not on steam.

I use the GUI launcher/Updater by skatezilla. It's a very powerful little program.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Also be mindful that you cannot mix and match modules between Steam and standalone. It's 'either / or'!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

mbar

I bought my DCS through Steam before they moved to a keyless system. Moving forward I had to decide where I was going to continue making my module purchases, Steam or Eagle Dynamics. I chose going with ED because it's module manager had been updated, is real simple to use and as Jarhead said you get beta access to modules.

ED has been timely releasing modules on both Steam and ED for the last year or so.

JasonPratt

Ah, with Supercarrier on the way, I wondered how long it would be before we started seeing WW2 carriers!  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Well, I finally ripped off the bandaid and tried DCS. 

Sadly I seem to have a bit of a glitch that I'm going to have to troubleshoot.  My X-52 would operate quite well for a stretch but then would start glitching with a hard irrecoverable pull to the left that was intermittent at times and then sometimes full on.  It wasn't a trim issue as far as I could tell as it came and went and no input could correct it when it happened. 

Weirdly, all my calibration settings are good and no similar performance in other sims, so I guess I don't have things calibrated properly somewhere. 

Still, I liked what I saw with the Su-25 for the moments it wasn't glitching into a death spiral.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mbar

Odd. I used an X-52 for awhile without issue but that was prior to DCS major 2.0 update.

Jarhead0331

I hate to say it, but I am really digging the JF-17. I can't really speak for it's capability or lethality in combat, because I am yet to try weapons, but I love how it handles and the glass cockpit...oh-my-God...the glass cockpit. It is amazing how much information is digitally at your finger tips. The MFDs are extremely versatile and very powerful. So easy to get information on fuel, engine operation, flight plans and navigation, stores, datalink, comms, etc. It is all there and so plainly laid out. It is no wonder current gen fighters like the F35 are very popular among its pilots. The aircraft through its advanced avionics really does become an extension of your senses.

I do wish it was a little heavier, and at the risk of sounding a bit too "'Merican", I'm not a big fan of its Pakistani and Chinese origin. Otherwise, it is a lot of fun to fly and a big change from other aircraft in DCS. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog