Star Wars Battlefront II - PC

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 12, 2017, 05:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Well, of course I caved on this as well....picked it up today (can't resist Star Wars, whether good or bad) and so far totally completed the 1st mission and a little of the 2nd.  Also got some time in with the single player Arcade mode.

I won't go into spoilers, but the first two missions had a good feel to it....of course linear kind of feel but love the graphics and Star Wars atmosphere.  Guns a blazing with the sound of lasers!  First mission had a little stealth/blast your way out fun across a ship and the 2nd put me on a planet for continuing dealing death blows to my enemy.  It's a unique feel as you play as the Empire....and I feel a little guilty as I line up the Rebel scum for head kill shots!

Arcade mode seems like it could be good light fun too for those that don't like multiplayer....basically allows you to setup a battle and play against bots for training.  Had a good time running around as Rey slicing the bad guys!  I can see myself playing this mode for some good mindless fun in the Star Wars universe.

I didn't bother trying multiplayer yet, really not why I bought it and likely won't play that much anyways.

If the rest of the game continues down this path, I can see myself enjoying it, nothing earth shattering...like COD WW2, I didn't expect this to be game of the year material and it certainly won't be mine.  But I feel like a little kid in a Star Wars sandbox so I will get some decent fun out of it.  The campaign is supposed to last 5-8 hours, which on the surface does seem short but sounds like they are already adding additional single player missions in December so maybe they will continue to make it more robust.

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

nope, very little interest in multiplayer with or without loot boxes.

Jarhead0331

How are you playing this? It doesn't release until 11/17?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Moreb

There is some kind of special edition out now and if you buy it you get to start playing it early. To me, the space flight sim of the game looks very good but I'm not sure about the on foot combat. I have to see map sizes first.

https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/star-wars/star-wars-battlefront-2/deluxe-edition
When dongles fly? - mirth

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 12, 2017, 06:28:45 PM
How are you playing this? It doesn't release until 11/17?

ea has early access...it's a subscription you can buy to play games early up to 10 hours plus you can play other games they have.

Jarhead0331

^That doesn't release until 11/14. I think the only way to be playing now is with the First Trial which is only accessible if you have a subscription to Origins Access.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Grim
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Moreb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 12, 2017, 06:46:06 PM
^That doesn't release until 11/14. I think the only way to be playing now is with the First Trial which is only accessible if you have a subscription to Origins Access.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Grim

I stand corrected. I knew I saw it somewhere earlier today when I had Battlefield 1 open. That must have been it.
When dongles fly? - mirth

Grim.Reaper

Fully completed the 2nd mission which turned into a space dogfight.....flight controls take a little getting use to.  But in the end the x-wing and y-wings were no match!

In the early access you can only play the first 3-missions of the campaign so I will save the last mission for another day this week.

SirAndrewD

I'm having a lot of fun with it.  It's a much better game than the first Battlefront, which I was turned off of in the Beta. 

But yeah, the loot crate system is absolutely horrific, especially since the heroes are locked behind a credit paywall.   You essentially have to decide to pay in game credits to level your character, or pay them to buy a hero and instead rely on real money to progress. 

But, man it's really solidly well made.  The starfighter assault mode alone is worth the price of admission.   You just have to ignore the progression side of the game.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Silent Disapproval Robot

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 12, 2017, 11:30:23 PM
Does it accept joystick input?

Nope, but it's much easier to use emulators like Joytokey to make up for it than the previous game. 

As much as I want to use my HOTAS, the Starfighter Assault is fun even without.  It's completely viable to fly from the cockpit, even preferred for a couple of the ships.   It's not even remotely comparable to Battlefront 2015 and it's the most fun I've had in a starfighter since Tie Fighter.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Silent Disapproval Robot

OK, I hope it's better because using M+KB to try to fly fighters in Star Wars: Battlefront was not fun at all.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 13, 2017, 01:32:14 AM
OK, I hope it's better because using M+KB to try to fly fighters in Star Wars: Battlefront was not fun at all.

i am using an xbox controller for the pc to play and so far pretty straight forward.  didn't even try using the mouse and keyboard, no idea how easy that would be but nowadays i mostly stick to controllers even if not as precise as mouse when targeting.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 12, 2017, 11:20:13 PM
I'm having a lot of fun with it.  It's a much better game than the first Battlefront, which I was turned off of in the Beta. 

But yeah, the loot crate system is absolutely horrific, especially since the heroes are locked behind a credit paywall.   You essentially have to decide to pay in game credits to level your character, or pay them to buy a hero and instead rely on real money to progress. 

But, man it's really solidly well made.  The starfighter assault mode alone is worth the price of admission.   You just have to ignore the progression side of the game.
Are you talking multi-player here specifically?
Alba gu' brath