LnL - rules and difficulty

Started by JudgeDredd, May 13, 2017, 02:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Thanks Crossroads.

I am going to leave it for the moment. But the Falklands hugely interests me - so I will definitely keep my mind open to learning.

No point in investing the time in the rules at the moment (given the complexity for ma wee heed) if Rebellion is coming soon - so I'll just get a few games of CoH in - which does seem to be considerably easier to grasp.

Thanks all.
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on how Rebellion is to learn. I have it but have yet to read the rules.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Richie61

I too found the LnL Band of Heroes series to be a complex set of rules to read and figure out. No matter how much I wanted to and tried to read the rules I kept getting overwhelmed. So I sold off all the
games I had and bought CoH and Panzer.

Now I never looked into the series after Mark sold it and the LnL series was revised, so it could be a better read now.

I do really like CoH and Old School Tactical  :)
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

GJK

Play against other experienced players - the more times you do and the more different experienced players that you play against, you'll learn the game ten-fold quicker than you ever will be reading the rules or watching videos.  It's how I learned ASL (and probably the only way to learn ASL (or similar) tbh).  VASSAL is a good substitute if you lack actual opponents in your area.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

panzerde

Show up at Origins and I'll teach you to play in about five minutes. It's really that easy.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JudgeDredd

I do tend to overthink rules and start looking at (or creating) grey areas.
Alba gu' brath

panzerde

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 24, 2017, 12:39:49 AM

Nah, it's not you, the rules really do seem complex. Particularly the rules as they were prior to being rewritten. LnLT is one of those games where the rules cover a lot of things you aren't going to encounter every turn. Once you start playing it and get the core mechanics down it is really pretty easy and fast to play.

The best way to learn it really is to have someone play it with you. You can grasp it in about five minutes, and then use the rules for clarification. I'm happy to hop on Vassal sometime and show you, or lean on Barth, who actually made those Vassal mods.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

mirth

Quote from: panzerde on May 24, 2017, 07:30:30 AM
Nah, it's not you, the rules really do seem complex. Particularly the rules as they were prior to being rewritten. LnLT

I wouldn't say complex so much as poorly written. And I'm not knocking LnL. I own a bunch of the games and I love the WaW system, but the rules were always the weak spot, imho. I was glad to hear they were being rewritten and cleaned up.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JudgeDredd

You know the best set of rules I've ever come across in my short life as a boardgamer - Conflict of Heroes and for 3 reasons

• Well written
  • Well structured
and more importantly
  • they give reasons as to why a rule is there...which helps remove your "Why is that like that then?"

There was another game with superb rules - Battle of Britain. Superb rules, easy to follow and implement. I picked that game up in no time
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: panzerde on May 24, 2017, 07:30:30 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 24, 2017, 12:39:49 AM

Nah, it's not you, the rules really do seem complex. Particularly the rules as they were prior to being rewritten. LnLT is one of those games where the rules cover a lot of things you aren't going to encounter every turn. Once you start playing it and get the core mechanics down it is really pretty easy and fast to play.

The best way to learn it really is to have someone play it with you. You can grasp it in about five minutes, and then use the rules for clarification. I'm happy to hop on Vassal sometime and show you, or lean on Barth, who actually made those Vassal mods.
Thank you. I'm currently focussing on Star Wars:Rebellion at the minute though.

I'm pretty sure Barth helped me before - I can't remember if it was on Vassal or just through the forums - but I believe it was Vassal. It was some time ago though and I've played/read several board game rules since. I should stick to one for a while at least.
Alba gu' brath