Main Menu

Venom

Started by mirth, February 08, 2018, 12:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

I feel like we're missing some CGI tentacles in there.

Also, I feel confounded whenever I see evidence that this film isn't a hoax.

Also, that sounded like Terrance Mackie (or whatever his name was, who was the first to play Rhodey, pre-War Machine, in Iron Man 1). Not like Tom Hardy??

Also... so is this going to be about Eddie Brock (the original Venom) at all? Are they going straight to some version of the Flash Thompson Venom (who operates a lot like G I Joe's Snake Eyes)? I have to infer not entirely, since he still has his legs: the point to Thompson getting the symbiote suit was that he had lost his legs in action in the Middle-East, which would be a much better hook for a film adaptation I think; but I guess he's in the MCU now, so never mind...

Also... I really, really, reaaaallllyyy don't care for Venom. More looking forward to the Cat-and-Sable project.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

And write a haiku
You should about the new Venom
Bane voice read it in
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Sir Slash

This could poison the MCU.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

It's not in the MCU ;)

Sir Slash

Isn't he the 'evil twin' of Spidey?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mirth

Basically, but it's a Sony movie and afaik it's in the other Spidey-verse. You know the one that gave us Emo Tobey Maguire and hipster Andrew Garfield.

Since Sony totally effed up Spiderman, they are now trying to build a Sinister Six franchise and I think Venom is the first step down that road.

mirth

JasonPratt

Rumors were swirling pretty recently that the Tom Holland Spider-man would have some kind of cameo in this film. I don't doubt Sony considered it, but I do doubt he's in there. There have been slightly stronger rumors that this will be set in Sony's Amazing Spiderverse but absent Andrew Garfield (unless Garfield decides to come back which is unlikely).

I see that this is, in fact, supposed to be Eddie Brock, although without a strong connection to both Parker and Spider-man I fail to see how this character could possibly develop into a monster version of Spider-man (or why even bother calling him Brock). Ditto for Kletus Cassidy / Carnage, whose form is based on a more twisted version of Venom.

I appreciate that the creators of the film are aiming for a mix of Cronenberg and Carpenter body-horror. That's a smart move for this property, as long as they're committed to distancing themselves from Spider-man per se as a part of the property. But then why would he look like Evil Spiderman? -- and if he doesn't, the Venom fans (such as they are) will be miffed.

The whole thing gives me a headache.  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

Maybe the Sony Spidey will go one-on-one with the Marvel Spidey in some future movie.

JasonPratt

Apparently that's going to happen, sort of, in the animated Spider-film coming up! -- which is about alternate continuity Spideys.

BanzaiCat

JasonPratt

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 08, 2018, 05:01:41 PM
Rumors were swirling pretty recently that the Tom Holland Spider-man would have some kind of cameo in this film. I don't doubt Sony considered it, but I do doubt he's in there. There have been slightly stronger rumors that this will be set in Sony's Amazing Spiderverse but absent Andrew Garfield (unless Garfield decides to come back which is unlikely).

I see that this is, in fact, supposed to be Eddie Brock, although without a strong connection to both Parker and Spider-man I fail to see how this character could possibly develop into a monster version of Spider-man (or why even bother calling him Brock). Ditto for Kletus Cassidy / Carnage, whose form is based on a more twisted version of Venom.

I appreciate that the creators of the film are aiming for a mix of Cronenberg and Carpenter body-horror. That's a smart move for this property, as long as they're committed to distancing themselves from Spider-man per se as a part of the property. But then why would he look like Evil Spiderman? -- and if he doesn't, the Venom fans (such as they are) will be miffed.

The whole thing gives me a headache.  :buck2:

I have a feeling this movie may be a way to introduce a new Spiderman without doing a full re-reboot of the Spiderman franchise. Even if they make him a relatively minor character, they could recast the role in the Venom movie and then do a new Spiderman flick down the road. Entirely speculation on my part, but it would be a way for Sony to handle recasting the character.

Andrew Garfield grew on me after I watched his Spiderman films a couple times. Not that those were particularly good movies (the second one was supremely stupid) but I came around on Garfield in the role.

BanzaiCat

But was Amazing Spider-Man 2 at a Spider-man 3 level of stupid?