The 2015 Baseball Thread

Started by MetalDog, February 02, 2015, 07:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

As is fitting for the first post of the season, below are the reporting dates for all 30 Major League teams.  The first date is when pitchers and catchers report, the second is the first full squad workout.  PLAY BALL!!

MLB SPRING TRAINING REPORT DATES

• Arizona Diamondbacks: Feb. 19, Feb. 25

• Atlanta Braves: Feb. 20, Feb. 26

• Baltimore Orioles: Feb. 19, Feb. 25

• Boston Red Sox: Feb. 20, Feb. 25

• Chicago Cubs: Feb. 19, Feb. 25

• Chicago White Sox: Feb. 19, Feb. 24

• Cincinnati Reds: Feb. 18, Feb. 24

• Cleveland Indians: Feb. 18, Feb. 24

• Colorado Rockies: Feb. 20, Feb. 27

• Detroit Tigers: Feb. 19, Feb. 24

• Houston Astros: Feb. 20, Feb. 25

• Kansas City Royals: Feb. 19, Feb. 25

• Los Angeles Angels: Feb. 19, Feb. 25

• Los Angeles Dodgers: Feb. 19, Feb. 25

• Miami Marlins: Feb. 20, Feb. 25

• Milwaukee Brewers: Feb. 20, Feb. 26

• Minnesota Twins: Feb. 22, Feb. 28

• New York Mets: Feb. 19, Feb. 26

• New York Yankees: Feb. 20, Feb. 26

• Oakland Athletics: Feb. 19, Feb. 25

• Philadelphia Phillies: Feb. 18, Feb. 24

• Pittsburgh Pirates: Feb. 18, Feb. 24

• St. Louis Cardinals: Feb. 19, Feb. 25

• San Diego Padres: Feb. 19, Feb. 25

• San Francisco Giants: Feb. 18, Feb. 24

• Seattle Mariners: Feb. 20, Feb. 25

• Tampa Bay Rays: Feb. 21, Feb. 27

• Texas Rangers: Feb. 20, Feb. 26

• Toronto Blue Jays: Feb. 22, Feb. 27

• Washington Nationals: Feb. 19, Feb. 25
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

jump to 1:05

damn youtube embed won't let me specify a start time
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Well I for one am looking forward to another .500 season from the Twins.  I guess these means I need to get off my ass and look at the fantasy league.

MetalDog

.500 for the Twins would be a step up!  And just think, your staff is being led by a Yankee castoff.  How does that make you feel?

Bison

Well I like him better then when Chuck Knobslobber played in pinstripes.

I also feel pretty good it didn't take the Twins hundreds of millions in player salary to reach .500 unlike the Bronx Moneybags.

OJsDad

Yea, baseball season is almost here!!  I can't wai......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Quote from: Bison on February 02, 2015, 09:33:41 PM
Well I like him better then when Chuck Knobslobber played in pinstripes.

I also feel pretty good it didn't take the Twins hundreds of millions in player salary to reach .500 unlike the Bronx Moneybags.

It's a well known fact that Carl Pohlad has more money than the Steinbrenners.  The fact that he won't come off his billions, with a B, sounds like sour grapes on your part.  And I always thought much better of you than that.

Bison

No sour grapes here.  I've long come to accept the fact that Pohlad is a crappy owner when it comes to keeping talent in Minnesota.  I just cannot stand the Yankees, Red Socks, and few other teams and their collective elitist fan bases.  I had to listen to it over Thanksgiving.  Good lord you'd think nothing exists in baseball on the other side of the Hudson River. 

MetalDog

I can understand envy of the winners.  I can even understand fatigue at having Boston and New York shoved down your throat by ESPN and the national media.  I'd hate those teams, too, if I didn't root for them.  What I don't get is the concept of trashing a team because they spend money.  It's not like that formula works or anything.  You can't BUY a pennant.  Everyone still has to perform.  I just think it's sour grapes when you play the money card.  You'd love it if your guys spend money.  And if they don't, then, hop on the bandwagon of the Yankees.  There's always room for more :)

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on February 03, 2015, 07:03:45 AM
You'd love it if your guys spend money.  And if they don't, then, hop on the bandwagon of the Yankees.  There's always room for more :)

Sure of course I'd love to see good players stay in Minnesota.  Frankly I think MLB contracts or over inflated.  I can get the several million a year, but the $20+ million per season just seem freaking absurd.  Don't get me wrong.  Good for those guys that the economics of baseball can provide those types of contracts.

I will never be a Yankees or Red Sox fan.  I love my small market teams like the Twins and Royals.

MetalDog

Rob Manfred, the new commissioner of MLB, is telling Hall of Fame voters,

Newly-appointed commissioner Rob Manfred recently encouraged the voting members of the Baseball Writers' Association of America not to speculate about whether certain Hall-of-Fame candidates used performance-enhancing drugs in the absence of "credible evidence."

"I think it's unfair," Manfred told ESPN's Jayson Stark on Thursday, "for people to surmise that Player A did X, Y or Z, absent a positive test, or proof that we produced in an investigation, or whatever. I just think it runs contrary to a very fundamental notion in our society, that you're innocent until somebody proves you're guilty."

http://www.thescore.com/news/695732

My sentiment is exactly what I put in BOLD, if an investigation proves it, then hold it against the player.  That being the case, how about making the Mitchell report available so we can say, once and for all, who did, and who didn't, that baseball knew about?

OJsDad

Stephen A Smiths take on allowing Pete Rose on the HOF ballot and back into Baseball.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12314114
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Stephen A. usually works my last nerve, but, I have to give it to him...he's right.  We let all the cheaters back in and around the game.  None that I remember ever saying they were sorry.  And Pete can't get on the ballot?  Be allowed to be a broadcaster or work in someones front office?  It's time to give Pete a break.

bayonetbrant

My thoughts on Pete Rose:
He's banned for life, right?  Put him in the Hall of Fame the day after he dies, and prominently mention that he was banned for gambling.  His on-field accomplishments belong in the hall, but he does not deserve to enjoy a single day of being a Hall of Famer.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Why is gambling worse than steroids?  And yes, they won't put any of the steroid cheaters in the Hall either, so I get that, but, what makes them able to continue to play and be eligible for the ballot?