Battle of Empires 1914-18

Started by Boggit, March 04, 2019, 09:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

I need some help...

Every time I launch the game it crashes during the movie, just as the game proper is about to start. I have never actually been able to play the game as a result. I have a Radeon R270 graphics card which is more than sufficient, and otherwise match all the hardware requirements. I can play Men of War, Red Tide and MOW2 without a hitch, so I'm surprised as this is a paid for mod based on this engine.

I've tried running the game at default settings and at minimum settings, even though it shouldn't make any difference. I've also contacted their "support" twice and am still awaiting a reply. Needless to say I am not holding my breath... :-\

Anyway, it seems clear from the Youtube videos and activity on the Steam discussions that people can play the game, so please, please, please give me some advice as I have been looking forward to playing this for some time now.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Gusington

I thought that support for this game had ended...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I have the game, but having never played it all I can ask is whether the opening cinematic can be disabled? -- and if so does it still crash upon load?

Maybe also checking the executable file to see if compatibility has been set back to, I dunno, Win 8.1 or something stable that the engine would be more familiar with. (Vista???)

Also, before checking the other things, I'd try a Steam verify. My Dawn of War: Soulstorm gets corrupted dll files or something very easily, and needs reverification every once in a while. (I've been playing mp with W8taminute recently; this affects him, too, I've noticed.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

The game plays fine for me. I have Win 10. I know that doesn't help...except to confirm that the game does work.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Boggit

Well thanks for the advice so far. It's a comfort that the game works on other machines in the sense that my problem is more likely the way my PC is set up as I really doubt that my PC isn't capable of running the game. I did do a verify, but Jason's idea about disabling the cinematic (if I can - I have no idea how I'd do this though), and checking the compatibility on the executable is worth a go.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know. At this point in time nothing (well almost - I'm not formatting my drives!) is too crazy to consider. ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Skoop

No advise to add, but my son was learning about WWI so I got this game on steam.  He fell in love with it and racked up a hundred hours in my steam account.

bobarossa

In some games you disable the cinematic by find the video file and moving it out of the folder.  File is usually in an appropriately named folder.

bbmike

Have you tried launching the game directly from Steam (in your Steam Library press the 'Play' button)? With some games that actually works.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Boggit

Quote from: bobarossa on March 05, 2019, 06:33:20 PM
In some games you disable the cinematic by find the video file and moving it out of the folder.  File is usually in an appropriately named folder.
I had a look, but nothing stands out. To be honest they seem embedded in the *.pak campaign files and I've no idea whether it's even possible to extract them. I am just hoping that one of the developers will see the discussion thread and take pity on me... :-"

Boggit

Quote from: bbmike on March 05, 2019, 07:09:18 PM
Have you tried launching the game directly from Steam (in your Steam Library press the 'Play' button)? With some games that actually works.
That's how I normally launch games in my Steam library. That said I've also tried it direct from the folder using Explorer.

GeneralHawk

Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

Boggit

Thanks GeneralHawk, I'll give it a try. :)

Boggit

I tried it, but it still CTD's during the video just before the game itself is about to start. Thanks for the idea though.  :)

Any more ideas are worth trying though as I'd like to play this.

I'm just wondering... I'm using Win7, would that be a problem? Surely not, but I don't know.

trek

I haven't played it in a couple years but it's in my Steam library. I'm using Win7 Pro 64-bit and it installed and ran fine. Hope you get it figured out.

Gusington

Just as an aside, is this game finished or is it still in early access?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd