Online Group Wargame?

Started by bayonetbrant, November 25, 2013, 04:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Ubercat on November 26, 2013, 07:25:25 AMThe COIN games all have four factions. Let's do 4 teams! As long as we can get 8-12 ppl, (2-3 per team) it should work.

that's a lot of people...  not sure we can sustain that many.

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 26, 2013, 07:31:45 AMHas anyone done this type of thing previously? We could see how that worked out to avoid any pitfalls

I've seen it done at ACG, CSW, and some other places online.

I think maybe we need to start with something smaller / simpler first, and see how it goes.  The COIN games might be a bit ambitious for a first run through this.
Manoeuvre might be a challenge only b/c of the decision to play cards in the middle of the battle.

Let me think on it a bit and see what I can come up with.  I don't want to go too crazy for a first attempt at this.  Plus, it needs to be something I own if I'm the guy running it ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GJK

Twilight Struggle would be a good one I would think.  Teams would see their hand of cards and make a group decision on whether to play the card for the event or for the Op points and then in what country/countries should they commit to adding influence or conducting a coup.  The rules are online and I or some others that I know play the game here could very quickly get people up to speed on it.  We could use ACTS to keep track of the card deck as well.

Commands and Colors, Memoir '44 would be other suggestions.  Memoir is a very lite "wargame" and CC:A is easy but lots of decisions because every unit type functions differently from the others.  ACTS could be used for that card deck as well.

We could just do an ASL HASL....ok, a bit over-ambitious perhaps...  :)

Some of your games looked good to me too Brant, I like some of those modern titles (Orange Crush, etc). I see that the rules are available for those on your website.

My vote goes to Twilight Struggle though; some geo-political group gaming sounds intriguing to me.  Team US or Team Soviet Union would have to come to an agreement on their course of action for each round of each turn. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Double Deuce

I've done both ASL and SASL as well as WSIM at ACG and some other sites. A lot of work, and much fodder for the rules lawyers. Actually the games went pretty smooth till the last one at ACG where I was getting constant PM's asking me to explain my interpretation of the rules and how I was wrong and needed to replay the turn and so on.

My suggestion is start small with a fairly simple game and then go from there.

I was always keen on doing an aviation game like AirForce/Dauntless but that's a pretty complicated system. If there was a VASSAL Mod for Wings of Glory/War that would probably be ideal.

Barthheart

Brant, how about Tank on Tank? Simple game, straight forward turns, games aren't that long, get to blow shit up!.
Great tactical fun.

GJK

To me, it seems that if it's a game that has lots of units (a dozen or more would be "lots" in this context) and/or it has interactive turns (defensive fire, opportunity fire, etc) then it would be a long, slow process and I could easily see people dropping out or losing interest.

With Twilight Struggle (sorry, my example) - the Team would decide on the card to play for the round, whether they play it for the points or the event, and if for the points, where they allocate those resources.

An example would be as simple as:

Team Soviet Union plays the card "The Cuban Missile Crisis" for the OPS, placing 3 influence points in Cuba.

(that after deliberations in the private area to discuss the next game play).  All know the cards available as dealt from the ACTS card dealer.)

Brant (or I volunteer) would then update the VASSAL board that is used to capture a screenshot of the current situation and then post it to the main forum for the game.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

undercovergeek

I like the sound of twilight struggle - always wanted to play that - I'm easy on the game though, its the premise that sounds great to me

BanzaiCat

Capitalist swine shall be buried under the avalanche of the dialectic warmongering that the imperialism swines create for themselves!

Errm...sorry, flexing my speech muscles for a possible TS game. :D

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

Here's the problem with TS - I don't own it.  Someone else would have to take over running the game at that point.  I can set up the forums for everyone, but can't shepherd the game along.

The more I think about this, tho, the more I wonder if something without cards would be good for a first run, just while we figure out how this whole process might work.

I do like the idea of Tank on Tank just to get started.  The action points would work well in the blind game, too, since neither side would know exactly how many actions they would have as they plot their turns.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 26, 2013, 09:23:28 AM
The more I think about this, tho, the more I wonder if something without cards would be good for a first run, just while we figure out how this whole process might work.

While I'd love TS, I agree with this. Keep it simple for the first run or two, then progress further if we're comfortable with it.

undercovergeek

+1, whatever's easiest until the wrinkles are ironed out

It's also a good opportunity for Brant to get a boardgame AAR on the front page

GJK

I can organize a TS group game.  It wouldn't be difficult at all.  The team captains would set up a game in ACTS and would be responsible for sharing with their team what their current hand is.  The main board would be kept up to date using VASSAL and I would just screenshot it after each round is completed.  TS would work very easily actually.

The rules for the game are available on GMT's website as well.  There are no charts or CRT's. 

I (or whomever) as gamemaster could facilitate any die rolls with an online randomizer and then share the results.  There's not much rolling in TS - just for coup attempts so that would be a plus.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

undercovergeek

A ts splinter group has formed already!

Lol I'd love to play ts it looks awesome.... maybe a poll Brant?

GJK

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 26, 2013, 10:12:17 AM
A ts splinter group has formed already!

Lol I'd love to play ts it looks awesome.... maybe a poll Brant?

You capitalist pigs and your polls!!!  The results should be decided militarily!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on November 26, 2013, 10:19:53 AMThe results should be decided militarily!

you want to pick a fight with the guy who controls the DNS server for the entire site  :o

;D