Online Group Wargame?

Started by bayonetbrant, November 25, 2013, 04:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Hey guys -

What would y'all think if I pulled out a solitaire game like Empires in America or (Lord help us) the solo rules for something like A Distant Plain, and we run a game that posts here in the forums?

Or, we discuss in the forums, decide a COA here, and recap the turns as an AAR to the front page?  Are enough of y'all interested that we could sustain a game here?

What about a game with teams here in the forums?  We could easily create some limited-access sub-forums just for the teams to discuss and post their moves, and then update to a dedicated 'game results' thread that would let everyone into the game.  We could really cast a wider net then, and pull out something like Maneouvre or Crisis 2020, or even something not yet released, like Orange Crush or Asian Thunder.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 25, 2013, 04:20:16 PM
Hey guys -

What would y'all think if I pulled out a solitaire game like Empires in America or (Lord help us) the solo rules for something like A Distant Plain, and we run a game that posts here in the forums?

Or, we discuss in the forums, decide a COA here, and recap the turns as an AAR to the front page?  Are enough of y'all interested that we could sustain a game here?

What about a game with teams here in the forums?  We could easily create some limited-access sub-forums just for the teams to discuss and post their moves, and then update to a dedicated 'game results' thread that would let everyone into the game.  We could really cast a wider net then, and pull out something like Maneouvre or Crisis 2020, or even something not yet released, like Orange Crush or Asian Thunder.

i think the team things sounds great, get supporters on either side of the forum and get everybody contributing - i would like to see that

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

I'd be interested in the team game idea.

GJK

Asian Thunder looks really interesting Brant - I'd like to participate in something like that.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

I would LOVE to play one of the COIN games via Vassal. I don't think that any of them really work as team games, though. Even A Distant Plain really only has alliances of convenience due to common foes. In Andean Abyss, the government and AUC come close to being a team. In the upcoming Fire in the Lake, the US and South Vietnamese government come closer, as do the NVA and VC, but in the end there can only be one winner. Semi team game?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

BanzaiCat

Sounds like it would be a great idea. I don't own any of those games, though...

bayonetbrant

No one needs to own anything.  I'll post pics and SITREPs and offer up options for next moves, roll dice for combat and update the map and post more pics, etc.

If we do it as a front-page AAR, we'll put some narrative behind it all, but no need to own anything unless you want to.

As to the COIN games, the idea would be that we're all the same faction making decisions as a group, and the other 3 players would be controlled by the "AI" that's built into the rules with a flowchart.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Ahh, I see what you're saying now. I like it.

Double Deuce

Maneouvre might be fun to try.

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 25, 2013, 09:56:23 PM
No one needs to own anything.  I'll post pics and SITREPs and offer up options for next moves, roll dice for combat and update the map and post more pics, etc.

If we do it as a front-page AAR, we'll put some narrative behind it all, but no need to own anything unless you want to.

As to the COIN games, the idea would be that we're all the same faction making decisions as a group, and the other 3 players would be controlled by the "AI" that's built into the rules with a flowchart.

Having said that and having a group of players make executive decisions surely it would be more fun to have the other side as another team.... you could recruit on the forums for either side but still have just 2 guys actually making the game moves over vassal....it could be a great exercise in diplomacy and democracy with maybe spies in each camp and defections.....unless I'm a bit too enthusiastic!

GJK

I don't know if you're able to add restricted areas to the forums, but if so, we could have two teams with each team having their own "private" forum to discuss their moves without worry of being seen from the other side.  Of course, there could always be "spies" as well. In game turn results could be posted to the general forum for all to see.  Then, at the end of the game, those private forums could be opened up for general public view perhaps or just removed.  Sounds like a lot of work for you though Brant.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GJK on November 26, 2013, 06:42:48 AMI don't know if you're able to add restricted areas to the forums, but if so, we could have two teams with each team having their own "private" forum to discuss their moves without worry of being seen from the other side.

that's pretty easy, actually

Quote from: GJK on November 26, 2013, 06:42:48 AMSounds like a lot of work for you though Brant.

nah - take a few pictures, roll a few dice, let y'all argue about what to do in between.

Ubercat

The COIN games all have four factions. Let's do 4 teams! As long as we can get 8-12 ppl, (2-3 per team) it should work.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Staggerwing

I'd be interested but I don't own the rules to any of these games. Would you just be posting all possible moves for each unit previous to each turn? That sounds like a lot of work. It would be easier if someone on each team had a copy and could guide their side during discussion of next moves.

Has anyone done this type of thing previously? We could see how that worked out to avoid any pitfalls

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys