Predestination. A turn-based sci-fi 4X game.

Started by mbar, July 24, 2018, 09:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Quote from: bobarossa on March 16, 2019, 07:43:51 PM
  Since they finally decided to exit early access I decided it was time to download my drm-free game.  Of course it crashes during loading.  And in sympathy, Firefox on my tablet crashed as I started to type this!
Outstanding! Long live technology making our lives simple and care free.

I think the game has a few teething problems, but they have issued several hotfixes in the last week and seem responsive to reports of issues. They have promised support and free content for some time and we may even see some DLC. The planetary development system is a game by itself. They have included some templates so that you can just tell a planet to build a whole program of buildings (ag planets, R&D planets, etc). This should help with MM in large, long games. I am having trouble with the ship design/build windows right now.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

FarAway Sooner

Quote from: bobarossa on March 16, 2019, 07:43:51 PM
Backed this 4? years ago.  Since they finally decided to exit early access I decided it was time to download my drm-free game.  Of course it crashes during loading.  And in sympathy, Firefox on my tablet crashed as I started to type this!

Consistency is often under-rated, don't you think?   :hug:

bobarossa

And their comment on downloading the drm free version is that the would contact me after major updates.  I didn't realize they would offer only minor support for that version.

bobarossa

So I recently built a new Win 10 computer and tried Predistination on it.  Still crashes.  Anyone get the DRM free version of the game to run?

solops

Predestination just got a fairly significant update with hints about future work.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Martok

Awesome!  Glad to see they're still supporting/improving the game. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

al_infierno

Is it any good?  It's 50% off on Steam so I might just grab it
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

It is worth a look. I have not played enough of the recent iterations to say more - not enough time. I WILL be playing it sometime. It has several different twists to it and is worth a look, I think.

bobarossa

They supposedly fixed a problem with DRM free versions back in June but still haven't sent me a link to download the fixed version.  They are apparently working on a new game and had put this one on hiatus for a while. 

solops