Predestination. A turn-based sci-fi 4X game.

Started by mbar, July 24, 2018, 09:52:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 27, 2019, 12:40:09 PM
This has been on my wishlist for yonks, it's weird to see it suddenly released without warning.  So...who's gonna take one for the team? :)

I have it...so taking one for the team would mean that I would actually have to play it. Not sure if I'm willing to commit the time...especially with Man the Guns coming out tomorrow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

The v1.1 patch notes looked good and the v1.2 patch (release version) looks really good. I need to finish my current TW:WH2 campaign before trying t.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 27, 2019, 12:42:40 PM
I have it...so taking one for the team would mean that I would actually have to play it. Not sure if I'm willing to commit the time...especially with Man the Guns coming out tomorrow.

Blah blah blah.  Stop typing and get playing!

Barthheart

Quote from: Huw the Poo on February 28, 2019, 12:57:41 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 27, 2019, 12:42:40 PM

Blah blah blah.  Stop typing and get playing!

You tell him Huw!

**quietly steps back out of the splash zone**

mbar

Watched a recently made video of Predestination gameplay. My honest thought was I really should be playing Endless Space 2, Stellaris, or Civ VI.

solops

OK, I have (finally) started seriously mucking around with this game. I am completely adrift :-) in a good way. I have no idea what I am doing. The sandbox game starts in a pre-space era, so everything is focused on research and planetary development. I have found the development model to be more involved than I expected. You have to explore the planet. Then, there are planetary-level improvements to be built that have to be connected to a nearby city. Then, there are city-level developments like you would expect from Civilisation - food, energy, production, government, research, entertainment and storage for most of those things. I do not have a feel for how it all fits together or if it "works" as a game, but I am optimistic due to the level of detail and care I can see in it. I figure I will have to play a couple of games on Easy (which I almost never do) up to spaceflight and then start over in order to be able to have a solid base from which to launch my screaming hordes into space. If the space part of this game is as fleshed out as the planetary part, this could be really fun. I am concerned about possible late-game large-empire management issues (says the guy with one planet of one city and no spaceflight). If you already have the game, I think you should give it a whirl.

Also, the UI is fine so far. Not clunky but not incredibly super advanced easy peasy. Just solid, with a few ease-of-life things that need to be added.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

^I just do not understand why, with a planet-based hex system, they did not include any tactical ground based combat element. Seems like a major missed opportunity.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

solops

At this point, I have no clue about combat, ground or space. I can say that the planetary surfaces are big, not just 10 or 20...more like several hundred hexes. The starting view alone has about 120 hexes and one city. I think you are limited to 4 cities per planet. And the planet is a sphere that you rotate to view. You cannot see the entire surface at once.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - I skipped the tutorial, natch :-)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2019, 01:43:43 PM
^I just do not understand why, with a planet-based hex system, they did not include any tactical ground based combat element. Seems like a major missed opportunity.

Maybe in a patch or DLC? Who knows? I still do not know how it is handled in the current version as the best I can manage right now is fancy paper airplanes. For all I know I might be able to build panzers with dragonfly wings.

Gonna have to put the game up for a while. My son and I are headed out to load some feeders. Hoggy-huntin' time approaches.....

Tuna

Quote from: Gusington on March 13, 2019, 01:54:41 PM
As any red blooded gamer would.

Lol, and then we complain when there isn't one!!! I think we're usually more guilty of not RTFM!

Gusington

It's our God given right to demand a high quality manual and then not read it 👍

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

The more I get into this game, the better I like it. But, I just have not played enough to give a "full-game" recommendation. Early enthusiasm has often led to late-game disappointment. So far, though, this game looks really good.

Huw the Poo

Cool, I'm looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts later then.

bobarossa

Backed this 4? years ago.  Since they finally decided to exit early access I decided it was time to download my drm-free game.  Of course it crashes during loading.  And in sympathy, Firefox on my tablet crashed as I started to type this!