Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Redwolf

Is there a way to configure DCS to recognize two mice as separate devices? I have two mice and I would like to use one to look around (like when pressing Alt-V) and one to operate cockpity things.

mikeck

Quote from: Redwolf on September 22, 2019, 01:20:10 PM
Is there a way to configure DCS to recognize two mice as separate devices? I have two mice and I would like to use one to look around (like when pressing Alt-V) and one to operate cockpity things.

I'm sure I'm the 100th person to say this...but save the money on the 2nd mouse and get a basic Trac-IR. Not expensive at all (maybe $40?). I can't imagine playing any DCS module without it. Same with HOTAS
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Pete Dero

Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2019, 08:51:36 PM
get a basic Trac-IR. Not expensive at all (maybe $40?). I can't imagine playing any DCS module without it. Same with HOTAS

This is my first head tracking experience :

https://delanengineering.com/products/head-tracking-delanclip-gamer/  (for £ 40)

You attach the clip to a headphone, install the software (I use the free Open Track software https://sourceforge.net/projects/opentrack.mirror/), adjust to your preferences and you are good to go.
Works great in DCS !

A full guide : https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34403-a-complete-guide-to-set-up-head-tracking-opentrack/

And like Mickeck said you will need a HOTAS to really enjoy DCS.

The Thrustmaster T.1600M is a good starter model you can get for around $120.
https://www.amazon.com/ThrustMaster-2960778-Thrustmaster-T16000M-HOTAS/dp/B01KCHPRXA/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=thrustmaster+t16000m&qid=1569245330&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Redwolf

Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2019, 08:51:36 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on September 22, 2019, 01:20:10 PM

I'm sure I'm the 100th person to say this...but save the money on the 2nd mouse and get a basic Trac-IR. Not expensive at all (maybe $40?). I can't imagine playing any DCS module without it. Same with HOTAS

Ah, yes, I forgot about that one. Ordering now.

Thanks, folks.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Redwolf on September 23, 2019, 12:26:17 PM
Hmmm, wait. Which product are you talking about, specifically. This is what Amazon brings up, for $160.

The ones you found are the full priced TrackIr plug and play units.

The do it yourself tracking units are not sold on amazon, but the Delan Clip I linked in my post works just as well.

The DCS fan site Grim Reapers directed me in their direction :

Jarhead0331

TrackIr is the gold standard. Unless you really can't spare the extra cost or do not have plans to switch to VR, TrackIR would be my recommendation with or without the pro-clip. If you are really into flight simming you will easily get your money several times out of the product.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

Thank you again. I can afford those $165, so I'll go with the original.

Next question:

Every time I start DCS, in non-VR mode, it starts up that #$**$*!@@&^ Oculus software package. How do I prevent it from doing so?

Who does that anyway, is it steam, or oculus, or the game itself? Any way to prevent that without disconnecting the headset or moving away the software?

Jarhead0331

Tomorrow...

I'm finding a way to set up a rig somewhere with some basic flight gear. It must be done...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 02, 2019, 09:08:31 PM
Tomorrow...

I'm finding a way to set up a rig somewhere with some basic flight gear. It must be done...
Just in time.

I recently bought an Oculus Rift S. I didn't see myself ever wanting to do so because of the plethora of keys required in DCS. But I did after seeing JH having considerable fun with it and asking his opinion.

I want to point JH spent ages the other night trying to help me get it setup - thank you very much. There was nothing wrong with the Rift S or setting up - it was all very straight forward. However the reason I needed his help was because I couldn't complete the setup of it and it turned out to be a bad install of new nVidia drivers. Once I'd uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers, everything went swimmingly.

The first thing to say is the family were like "How much?". But once I stuck the unit on their head and showed them some demo programs, they were giggling like school kids at how super fantastic this piece of kit is.

The next thing is DCS. Absolutely WOW. I fired it up this morning and I was literally sitting in the cockpit of an F/A-18. For those of you who have an love TrackIR - I can't explain to you the difference except that I was actually inside the cockpit of an F/A-18. I hadn't plugged my HOTAS in because I just wanted to see what it looked like this morning. So I used the controller and I was holding the "virtual" joystick with my "virtual" hand and flying an F/A-18.

The experience of actually sitting in a cockpit was something I couldn't understand when people were telling me about it. I kept referring to my TrackIR and thinking "Yeah - but I'm in the cockpit and I can look around and interact with stuff...so I am in the cockpit"....nope. You most certainly are not. It is absolutely sublime.

I had 10 minutes this morning so I dived down to the deck to have a look at ground level. The speed sensation as I looked left and right whilst skimming the ground was something I never, ever got in TrackIR.

Don't get me wrong. TrackIR was amazing and I loved it. But this is just something else.

Graphics - there's certainly a difference between playing it on the monitor and playing it in VR. But the difference feels - real. The graphics I was being shown seemed "right". It's hard to explain. They weren't blocky and they didn't have the clarity (or crispness) of my monitor - but there was just something about them that made me not give a crap. It may be that "real" feel or it could be the fact you are buzzing a tower sitting IN the cockpit of an F/A-18. I don't know but something about the experience made me not care about the loss of crispness that my monitor gives the graphics. Everything is perfectly readable that I could tell.

I haven't messed around with buttons, graphics or any other settings yet - I just wanted to see what the fuss was about. I'll maybe come back in a few days once I've looked at my settings.

Anyway - F-16 just in time for my VR - woohoo   O0

Also - last time - thanks again JH. I know you've got alot going on at the minute so it was very gracious of you to help out with the VR.
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Anytime, JD. Very glad you got it working and thrilled to have another convert to the DCS VR world. One of the most important settings for VR in DCS is pixel density. The higher you set it, the clearer the image, but the more taxing it is on your system. I usually keep mine between 1.5 and 2.0. Now that I have a 2080ti, I'm going to try to push the limits. You can sometimes compensate for the drop in FPS, by lowering shadows, turning off msaa, etc.

In any event, sounds like you're already having a positive experience, so it can only get better from where you are. Enjoy!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

Well...now I know which way to go once we hopefully get house A sold and house B bought and Daddy gets some "quality," time by his lonesome and the PC.

Wait...that didn't sound right...

:-"

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Downloading the Viper!

4 day week end and I have DCS Viper along with IL2 mustang, lightening, and tempest to put through the paces. 

Not to mention all the press coming out about Microsoft Flightsim 2020, it's shaping up to be a great year for flight sims.  I may have to get a VR headset for Christmas instead of a monster 60 inch 4k monitor.