Racing Wheel Reccomendation

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 02, 2017, 07:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

well, after purchasing a bunch of racing games and using a controller, thought maybe i will finally give an actual racing wheel a go for christmas.

any recommendations ?  i am not looking for anything fancy or expensive, probably something in the $100-$200 range.  doesn't have to have all bells and whistles, cheap pedals would be great, just want it to work with all the latest games and have a decent feel so that i am not sliding and crashing all over the place:)

or you could tell me nothing exists for that price range worth getting.....

thanks!

Staggerwing

I don't have any specific recommendations but did want to mention that an Xbox wheel may also work with Windows, in case there is a cheap but good one out there.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Thanks Stags....seems like most of the cheaper ones support both consoles and PC.....just looking through Amazon, these were a few that caught my eye....much on the cheaper end and being a casual driver (not into online competitive), just looking for something functional and that works with modern games (i.e. F1, Project Cars, etc.).  But I just have zero clue on this stuff....

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Officially-Licensed-Racing-playstation-4/dp/B00JDYMQ9C/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1512220784&sr=8-11&keywords=Thrustmaster+Ferrari

https://www.amazon.com/HORI-Racing-Wheel-Apex-PlayStation-4/dp/B01LZ3AEFP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512220947&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+racing

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-Ferrari-Racing-Xbox-360-6306200/dp/B005K1SI8A/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1512220983&sr=1-5&keywords=racing+wheel+pc&refinements=p_36%3A-20000

Grim.Reaper

Actually thinking the T150 Forced Feedback from Thrustmasters might be the winner...found for around $140 and seems most reviews think one of the better entry level sets.

Richie61

I have had Logitech G25/ G27 and both have been awesome. I used to do a lot of PC sim racing with them and my sim cockpit.  :D

This is not my unit, but it's the same chassis and wheel/pedals/shifter as mine hiding in the basement  ;)

Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Yskonyn

Thrustmaster's midrange wheels are good quality vs price balance.
T150 is the cheaper one, T300 is midrange.
The drive and force feedback system is better on T300, but both quality wheels.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Yskonyn on December 02, 2017, 09:54:32 AM
Thrustmaster's midrange wheels are good quality vs price balance.
T150 is the cheaper one, T300 is midrange.
The drive and force feedback system is better on T300, but both quality wheels.

Thanks...looks like T300 is close to $300 so probably out of what I would like to spend, especially since I am more casual....think I am just going to go with the T150...if I end liking it and really start playing racing games, then I can upgrade next Christmas:)

JudgeDredd

I have a Logitech GT Driving Force. It's a budget wheel iirc costing around £80-£100. Good quality, lasted me for a few years and still going. You do need force feedback imo.

I'll be honest - I've never tried another make of wheel - it's always been Logitech for me.

Good luck - imo it will transform your racing.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Need is such a relative term:). I went ahead with the t150, now just have to wait until xnas to try it.

Bardolph

Sorry I got here a little late but the Logi G920 is apparently on sale at the moment at Best Buy for $200. The G25/27 wheels have a good reputation, don't know much about the new one myself.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Bardolph on December 02, 2017, 07:19:41 PM
Sorry I got here a little late but the Logi G920 is apparently on sale at the moment at Best Buy for $200. The G25/27 wheels have a good reputation, don't know much about the new one myself.

Thanks...took a look at Best Buy and at least the ones I see say $399.99.  Placed the order earlier today on the T150 so I guess we'll see how that one goes:)

Bardolph

Yeah, sorry, looks like that one ended.
Just saw it in a racing forum post today, should have checked the ad myself.

Sounds like you found a wheel at any rate.

Cheers!

jamus34

You could always buy a Fanatec rig  >:D
Insert witty comment here.

OJsDad

Just got an email for some sales from Microcenter.  One of the items was a racing wheel with pedals for $149. 

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=848796&utm_source=eNews_SE_MISC_20171203_Gaming&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R4649&MccGuid=b8b5ff74-54e0-4c76-b392-e599560a35a8

I was in their store the other day and walked past the aisle with steering wheels.  I was impressed with the selection they have. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: OJsDad on December 03, 2017, 08:38:40 AM
Just got an email for some sales from Microcenter.  One of the items was a racing wheel with pedals for $149. 

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=848796&utm_source=eNews_SE_MISC_20171203_Gaming&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R4649&MccGuid=b8b5ff74-54e0-4c76-b392-e599560a35a8

I was in their store the other day and walked past the aisle with steering wheels.  I was impressed with the selection they have.

You must live by me...that is a store in my neighborhood:)  I actually picked up from Walmart for $139...so I got a little cheaper, but Microcenter is a great place too.