DEC 2013 TS forum game archive

Started by GJK, November 26, 2013, 12:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 27, 2013, 02:22:18 PM
now that we're all here - how much experience do we have?

In terms of the game - non........well, for me anyway.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

were proud defenders of the mushy peas!!!

who needs experience

GJK

Gentlemen....er, Comrades, here is your starting hand:

NOTE: I will be posting an image of the game board "At Start" in the PUBLIC FORUM after I post this.  The USSR has the mandatory influence markers placed in accordance with the rules already.  YOU HAVE AN ADDITIONAL SIX (6) INFLUENCE MARKERS (points) that you can place at your discretion ANYWHERE IN EASTERN EUROPE.  So the decisions that you must now make is which card in your hand will you be playing as your HEADLINE card, and where will you place the six Influence Markers (where and in what value for a total of six).

Note also that you have the "CHINA" card in your possession to begin the game.  It is "face up" as indicated here.

Good luck comrades!
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

GJK

Gentlemen, the following is your initial hand for the game (turn 1):

NOTE: I will be posting an image of the game board "At Start".  Your basic set up is done in accordance with the rules except that you have SEVEN (7) INFLUENCE MARKERS (points total) that can be placed anywhere in Western Europe at your discretion.  So the decisions before you at this time are 1) which card will you be playing as your HEADLINE PHASE card and 2) where and in what values will you be placing the 7 additional influence markers in Western Europe.

Note that the USSR has the "China Card" in its possession to start the game (it is face up - ready to be played as they choose).

Good luck gentlemen!
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bob48

What do we think then team? NORAD?

And it seems we need to place our Influence markers.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GJK

It is 1945.  Nazi Germany has been defeated.  Japan has surrendered thus ending the nightmare that was the 2nd World War.  Now, a new Twilight Struggle begins....

Both teams have been given their initial card hands.  The USSR has the "China Card" (face up) as well as 8 additional cards. The US team has 8 cards as well.

This is the map "At Start":

A larger version can be viewed here: http://www.garykrockover.com/TS/Game_At_Start_Large.jpg

As well as choosing a card to be selected as their "HEADLINE PHASE" card, each team has a number of INFLUENCE MARKERS that need to be placed prior to the beginning of play.  The USSR has 6 IP's that can be placed anywhere in EASTERN EUROPE and the US has 7 IP's that can be placed anywhere in WESTERN EUROPE.  I will post the results of their decisions once both teams have made their choices.

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Staggerwing

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 27, 2013, 02:22:18 PM
now that we're all here - how much experience do we have?

I've experienced a great many things. This game, however, is not one of them.  :D

I plan on reading up on the rules tomorrow (a little bit) and friday a bit more.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

undercovergeek

3 amateurs.... we're going to rock this with unconventional weirdness!

GJK

One BIG tip that I will pass along freely to both teams:  read the text of all of your cards very carefully.  Most have more than one condition that must be met in order for that card to work.  Also, keep in mind that if you play a card for the OPs value and that card has an event that is solely for your opponents side (red star for USSR, white star for USA), that event will automatically trigger after you've played the card for the OPs.  This game is about hand management.  Bad stuff is going to happen to your side; it's managing when it happens and hopefully having the ability to minimize or neutralize the effects rapidly that will take a side to victory.  Also, read about the "Space Race" rules- it is the one way that you can dump a card that has a negative effect on your side but note also, the card will be reshuffled in to the deck so it will come up again at some point.  Is it better to let it happen now or later?  Those are the decisions that you will be facing.

Big government signing out for now.  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone - we shall have a day of peace tomorrow!  :)
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

BanzaiCat

Thanks again for handling the logistics of this, sir. I'm about to sign off for the night and will be back Friday night, more than likely. Happy thanksgiving, even to the capitalist drones out there!

GJK

No thanks needed, I'm going to enjoy this as much as you guys are.  I'm looking forward to getting in to the meat of this one! 
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Ubercat

Comrades, we have to be cautious about what we headline until we know that Defectors has been played. I suggest playing Olympic games as our headline. If Defectors isn't played to cancel it, we should get 2 VP or 4 Ops to play with. If we get 4 Ops, I further recommend that we use them to coup Iran, which makes it harder for the other guys to get into Asia among other things. Or we could just use them to grab influence in Asia since we're holding the scoring card.

I think that Iran is the way to go, though, because the ME scoring card is out there and someone will likely have to play it by turn 3. We may as well get a start in grabbing up the ME. I've generally gotten a lot of VP's out of the ME as the Soviets so it's probably a good bet.

Blockade will probably be better used later in the turn after the other team has hopefully used their higher Ops cards, though that could backfire if they're holding one of ours in hopes of somehow getting rid of it. Playing Blockade earlier wouldn't guard against that, though, so a later play is probably good.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Ubercat

Of course we need to place our 6 influence in E. Europe first. My suggestion there is to first nail down E. Germany and Poland. 1 additional in E. Germany and 4 in Poland will put them both very solidly in our camp at 4 each.

If we put our last point in Yugoslavia, that will give us access to Italy. Either they let us grab Italy later in the turn or they go after it themselves. If they grab it, it may be that our threat forced them to do so, which could mean that we sidetracked them from whatever else they might have had planned. It's always nice to mess with the enemies plans!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Barthheart

I agree with Comrade Ubercat about sponsoring the Olympics. This will be a great show case for the USSR's greatest athletes and our system of training.

Can we get away with flooding Asia with our advisors in this round? We have several plays that should let us get up to Control. If we can gain a large amount of points early it might un-nerve the US and make their future efforts erratic.

I also agree that our agents should attempt a coup in Iran. The middle East will become an important battle ground for our ideology and it's best to get a head start.

Bringing East Germany and Poland more securely into the fold is a good plan and I agree with the faint towards Italy. Lets see how stable the foreign policy of the US is.

Staggerwing

NORAD sounds good. We need to control Canada, no? Only 2 IP and we need 4 total.

EDIT: What do we want to do about placing our 7 IPs? Do we want to line 'em up along the Pink Curtain or put 4 on Bonn and 2 on Ottawa so All Canada's Pootine are belong to us? That would leave 1 extra IP.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys