Main Menu

What next for Goodell?

Started by MetalDog, May 23, 2015, 11:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Kraft did an about face and is finally pissed about the whole thing

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/patriots/2015/07/29/robert-kraft-bill-belichick-tom-brady-deflategate-suspension-upheld-jimmy-garoppolo/30824363/

I wonder if Goodell will survive this. The league owners may not fire him, but I could see him deciding to retire in the next year or so.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Arctic Blast

It truly is astounding watching this idiot absolutely obliterate his own legacy in a short period of time. Hell, he didn't even have time to FORM a legacy before he started smashing it with a hammer!

Bison

I care so little about the NFL anymore.  It's increasing becoming nothing more than a bunch of overpaid drama queens and assholes.  Outside of watching stats for Fantasy Football; I have no compelling interest in watching any of the upcoming season.  I just don't care. 

mirth

^I feel pretty much the same. In the past 5 years or so, my interest has waned a little more each year. It's exactly what happened to me with the NBA. 20 years ago, I watched most of the regular season and every playoff game. Then it was an occasional regular season game and most of the playoffs. Then just the playoffs. Now if I watch most of one NBA playoff game in a season,  it's because I have nothing better to do.

I can sense this is how it's going with the NFL. I'm sick of the off the field drama. I'm also tired of games being decided by a single call or a refs interpretation of a rule. It's an overly stylized game from what I grew up with. And it's becoming less fun to watch each year.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

DoctorQuest

You want to watch good football? Go to a local high school game.

My daughter is the coach of the marching band color guard and we hit all the home games to watch her team perform at halftime. The games are good, you don't have all the ref bs and replays and it gets you outside.

I've never liked Tom Brady mainly because I'm not him. I still like watching some games but you can have the pre-game, post-game crap. And the NFL network could go belly up and I'd never miss it.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MetalDog

In the way men are good at compartmentalizing things, I LOVE watching the games!  Everything else, not so much.  Tired of the entitled feeling I get from athletes who could care less about how they act.  Tired of the juggernaut that is the NFL stomping all over the sports landscape and pissing in time periods considered the purview of other sports.  And tired of the owners and Goodell.  How DARE you hold cities for ransom by threatening to move if the city doesn't spend public money to build you a palace that you keep all the revenue from and pay no taxes on!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

OJsDad

Quote from: MetalDog on July 30, 2015, 05:52:31 PM
Tired of the juggernaut that is the NFL stomping all over the sports landscape and pissing in time periods considered the purview of other sports. 

Not sure I understand this.  Can you explain this.

How DARE you hold cities for ransom by threatening to move if the city doesn't spend public money to build you a palace that you keep all the revenue from and pay no taxes on!

All pro sport teams are doing this so it's not unique to them.  Not that I like it any better than you do.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on July 30, 2015, 08:56:17 PM
Tired of the juggernaut that is the NFL stomping all over the sports landscape and pissing in time periods considered the purview of other sports. 

Idiot NFL news (domestic violence suspension, ball inflation) has dominated the sports airwaves, rather than actual coverage, I dunno... sports!  Like an actual exciting baseball season for the first time in 10 years, NBA/NHL finals, car racing, soccer, the first Triple Crown winner in nearly 2 generations, Wimbledon, and pretty much anything else that got in its way.  We're 48 hours out from a baseball trade deadline where there are twice as many teams 'in it' than any time in the past 20 years and Mike & Mike did 11 segments on Brady vs NFL this morning.  11.

How DARE you hold cities for ransom by threatening to move if the city doesn't spend public money to build you a palace that you keep all the revenue from and pay no taxes on!
All pro sport teams are doing this so it's not unique to them.  Not that I like it any better than you do.

Yeah, the worst of them all was the Marlins, who signed a bunch of players, got the stadium built, then dumped all the salaries 2 months into the season and are back to playing in front 768 people/game.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

But is that the NFL's fault or is it the media's.  Everything you mentioned is on the media. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

MetalDog

Growing up, every sport had its season.  After the Super Bowl, and with the exception of the draft, you didn't hear anything about the NFL until Preseason.  Now, the NFL is king and everything they do throughout the year is made in to a big thing.  Which takes attention away from the sports being played at the time and dimming the attention that should be theirs.  And I don't like that.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on July 30, 2015, 09:40:20 PMBut is that the NFL's fault or is it the media's.  Everything you mentioned is on the media. 

The NFL is the media - they run the NFL network and need to continue to drive content on it.  There's only so many "NFL Films" reruns they can show.  If they keep feeding out nuggets at well-timed intervals then they never recede from the media landscape, by design.  And yes, I firmly believe the NFL does this completely intentionally.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: OJsDad on July 30, 2015, 09:40:20 PM
But is that the NFL's fault or is it the media's.  Everything you mentioned is on the media.

It's a calculated move on the NFL's part.  It's what fuels the major sports networks to the detriment of the ongoing sports, as Brant said above.  Which was also what I meant, but he said better.

Ninja'd by Brant!  twice!!!

mirth

^Total agreement. The NFL knows what it's doing. Through the entire off season, through the NHL and NBA playoffs, through the MLB regular season, the media focus has been on the NFL and Deflategate. It's pretty much genius in that the NFL has become a year round media circus.

OJsDad

Ok, I thought you might have been talking about the length of the season. 

I guess for me, I don't really follow all of the NFL offseason drama, so really don't care.  Nor do I follow NBA, NHL, MLB, Golf, Soccer or Tennis, so I really don't care. 

mirth

Chris Mortensen backed out of an interview with the Dennis & Callahan Show (New England sports talk) this morning.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/31/mortensen-pulls-plug-on-weei-appearance/

The great thing is that they tried to call him anyway. Then they tried to call Mike Kensil, the NFL official who leaked the original deflated balls story to Mortensen (and gave Mortensen bad info). Kensil's wife answered the phone to say he wouldn't be going on air.