Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 18, 2019, 02:29:39 PM
Note that the 25% - 50% DCS sale is also going on at Steam.

Pay attention :

Please note that the DCS: M-2000C (released in 2017), and all future DCS World DLC releases on Steam, will now use Steam Keys instead of Starforce keys. As such, these purchases cannot be activated on the DCS World e-Shop version. Previous purchases will not be affected.
(https://store.steampowered.com/app/411892/DCS_M2000C/)

DoctorQuest

Hmmm. WTF?

I can't use the discount on CMANO: Desert Storm???????

It says...............

Happy Easter Sale!
30% off everything (really)

Anyone else tried to use the coupon?

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 18, 2019, 03:36:44 PM
Hmmm. WTF?

I can't use the discount on CMANO: Desert Storm???????

It says...............

Happy Easter Sale!
30% off everything (really)

Anyone else tried to use the coupon?

Important: The coupon does not apply to Battlestar Galactica Deadlock: Sins and Sacrifice and Command: Desert Storm.

That is stated....

DoctorQuest

in the fine print.

Oh well.

And, sorry, wrong topic.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

JasonPratt

True, you're now locked into either Steam or direct buy -- can't do both (unless you want all your WW2 stuff on Steam and all your modern stuff on ED or something like that. ;) )

So you can either have Starforce DRM, or Steam DRM. The advantage to having Starforce DRM is that you might get some new DCS DLC early.

The disadvantage to Starforce DRM is that you have Starforce DRM on your computer now.  :buck2:

(For young people coming in late, Starforce was notoriously bad disc security once upon a time. Presumably they're better now, but really should rebrand because I see "Starforce" and immediately nope out.   :hide: )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

New version of BMS is on the horizon...not too shabby for a decade old sim. Still competes with the best of them.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DoctorQuest

^And check out the Nordic Theater for BMS that includes functional F-22s and F-35s.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on April 18, 2019, 05:19:10 PM
^And check out the Nordic Theater for BMS that includes functional F-22s and F-35s.

Yup. Have it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 18, 2019, 03:54:31 PM
True, you're now locked into either Steam or direct buy -- can't do both (unless you want all your WW2 stuff on Steam and all your modern stuff on ED or something like that. ;) )

So you can either have Starforce DRM, or Steam DRM. The advantage to having Starforce DRM is that you might get some new DCS DLC early.

The disadvantage to Starforce DRM is that you have Starforce DRM on your computer now.  :buck2:

(For young people coming in late, Starforce was notoriously bad disc security once upon a time. Presumably they're better now, but really should rebrand because I see "Starforce" and immediately nope out.   :hide: )

I believe Starforce is gone from DCS, it was one of the big changes last year moving to the keyless system.  I wish I could transfer all my DCS stuff to steam like 777 did for il2 BOX, might be getting there down the road with the keyless system, but not yet.

Toonces

Wow, thanks for posting that up, Jarhead.  I haven't fired up BMS in...gosh I'm not even sure how long.  6 months at least.  I'd sort of given up on it.

What has me even considering going back into it with 4.34 is the new IFF system.  I swear, the lack of IFF just infuriated me; the inherent limitations with AWACS in the game meant sorting the picture in single player, when it got really busy up by the DMZ, was just an exercise in frustration.

Side note:  You guys probably don't realize this, but I actually brought Nordic out of the woodwork and into BMS.  A really, really long time ago a fellow who used to do a bunch of modding was getting out of the hobby and clearing out his hard drive.  He posted up all the stuff he had and I downloaded it all before he closed his website. 

Much later, I was going through the files and there was a Nordic Theater in there, but the file format was incompatible with Freefalcon, BMS, etc.  It was like in one of the old RP formats.  At some point I sent it to Kronik from Freefalcon and he cracked it open into its individual files.  Then I got together with Demer and reformatted the terrain so it could be edited. 

I messed around with it for a few months but eventually realized that I didn't have the time or skill to fix the terrain; I was always a campaign guy.  So, I put the raw files up on BMS and that fellow from Germany took it and just ran with it.  It's pretty remarkable how talented some of the campaign developers are now.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

DoctorQuest

And there is actually two Nordic theaters now. One for the current era and one for the Cold War. I have just scratched the surface on this addon.

Like some community mods the install was a little wonky. The doc refers to non-existent install exes but if you copy the theater folder to your BMS install and edit the theater definition file correctly it seems to work just fine.

Thanks for your efforts on this, Toonces!

Jarhead0331

...and BMS 4.34 is released.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

DoctorQuest

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

Nice, a crusader will be sweet, now if we could get an official Vietnam map in a DCS to use all these 60s era jets would be awesome.  It would really scratch that Vietnam air war itch.  I tried going back to those old sim lites done by TK and it just doesn't cut it, nor does the militarizing prepar3d.  Dcs Vietnam is our best chance for the era and I hope it becomes a thing.