Download and Playtest - post feedback here

Started by bayonetbrant, February 28, 2012, 01:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Hey guys...

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

0kult13

Downloaded, will give it a bash over the weekend, looking at the sheets first impression is well produced and thoughtfully layed out. Like the fact there is no cutting out or gluing. This would be ripe for a vassel module.

Barthheart

Quote from: 0kult13 on February 28, 2012, 02:01:13 PM
...This would be ripe for a vassel module.

I was thinking the same thing. :)

I'll give the game a try then see if I have time to whip up a module for it.

bayonetbrant

easy fellas - let's see if it works before you start VASSALizing!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

Couple of questions right off the top:

Builder:
1. So to build a Mill I need to roll a "2" four times or does the circles mean I can build 4 Mills?

2. Is the Silo the upgrade for the Warehouse? Does that mean the Mill has no upgrade?

3. What does "+1B/TR on build" mean under the School? I gain 1 Book per TR? But what's a TR?

4. What's the F in "+1C/5F" under Fountain?

Trader:
5. What's "(1)" mean next to each Trade route?

6. What do the circle's mean?

7.  Only 5 Trade routes listed, is that the maximum I can have?

Map:
8. What re the terrain types? Forext, Hills, Plain?, Desert?

9. What do symbols mean? One looks like a wheat stack, one a scythe  and one a deer's head.

Events:
10. Isn't doubles or four of a kind rolled always even?

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM
1. So to build a Mill I need to roll a "2" four times or does the circles mean I can build 4 Mills?
No.  the (2) is the number of points it's worth at the end.
You need a total of 4 points on the dice to build it.  2+2, 1+3, 1+1+1+1, or a 4.  Roll a 5 and you have to allocate somewhere else.
The pips are so you can cross off as you commit dice to building it.  You don't have to build it all in one turn.  You can commit four 1s to it over four turns.

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM2. Is the Silo the upgrade for the Warehouse? Does that mean the Mill has no upgrade?
Mill, Tavern, Chapel, Smithy have no upgrades.
Warehouse, Fountain, School, Market do

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM3. What does "+1B/TR on build" mean under the School? I gain 1 Book per TR? But what's a TR?
TR = Trade Route

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM4. What's the F in "+1C/5F" under Fountain?
F = typo.  Should be a "G"

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM5. What's "(1)" mean next to each Trade route?
1 point ea/ at end of game

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM6. What do the circle's mean?
check-offs as you're building the routes (see the "mill" explanation above).  You need to check off 5 to build a route to 1st ring of spaces, and 3 more to build to next ring of spaces.

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM7.  Only 5 Trade routes listed, is that the maximum I can have?
Yes.  Can't build 'em everywhere! :)

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM8. What re the terrain types? Forext, Hills, Plain?, Desert?
Forest, Hills, green = clear, yellow w/ crosshatch = farm

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM9. What do symbols mean? One looks like a wheat stack, one a scythe  and one a deer's head.
Wheat you cross off when you plant that space w/ a farmer
Scythe is the mod to the roll when you harvest.  Can't harvest more than you plant
Deer = adjustment for game collected.
So if I plant 4 crops in Moynham (top space, far right column) and I roll a "3" for the harvest, I actually collect 3, +2 for the space bonus, for a total of 5.  If I hunt for game in that space with the hunter, I get a +1 to the die roll.

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 03:43:23 PM
10. Isn't doubles or four of a kind rolled always even?
That refers to the number that appeared as either doubles of 4x.  If I roll four 3s, then I roll a 1d6 and consult the "odd" column.  If I roll four 2s, I roll 1d6 and consult the "even" column.

Good questions - keep 'em coming! :)

bayonetbrant

OK - I updated the file to fix the typo under "Fountain"

I also fixed another typo, and swapped 2 events around on the "location events" table that I meant to swap 6 weeks ago.

Y'all have fun with it!  :)

Barthheart

Ok good so far. Now some rules questions:

Assigning dice:
11. To assist another worker do you have to move it's marker to the location of the helpee, and pay for moving, or is it just allowing the dice to act for the other marker?

Worker Actions
12. Does moving count as an action?

13. Do all worker start in the center hex?

14. To upgrade "Must hit exact combination" does this mean 1st die and second die must match exactly or just have one of each type shown?

15. "To build trading post" - last sentence mentions an initial game setup trading post... doesn't say where that is?

16. Pelts conversion - Rules say 1d6 for each 3 pelts o convert to gold at trading post or city. Does this mean the hunter must move there first?

17. Notes area for Hunter say Pelts = +1G each, +1G if collected adjacent to trading post. Is this in addition to above conversion?

18. Trails - Under Hunter actions is says trails can be cut through any space, but under Concepts is says trails can be cut through forests?

bayonetbrant

At hockey game. Will answer later tonight :)

edited for cell phone typo

Barthheart

Barthheart

19. Under Hunter Actions - "Note that the game hunted/pelts collected cannot exceed the available game in that space" How is the "available" game determined?

20. Wild dice can only be used once each in a game not each turn?

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:12:26 PM
Assigning dice:
11. To assist another worker do you have to move it's marker to the location of the helpee, and pay for moving, or is it just allowing the dice to act for the other marker?
Can move the dice from worker to worker w/o moving the worker

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:12:26 PM
Worker Actions
12. Does moving count as an action?
No.  Can move and take an action, but you have to pay the movement cost

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:12:26 PM13. Do all worker start in the center hex?
yes

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:12:26 PM14. To upgrade "Must hit exact combination" does this mean 1st die and second die must match exactly or just have one of each type shown?
Must roll both of those numbers, but not necessarily in that order.  Just need both of those values on the dice.

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:12:26 PM15. "To build trading post" - last sentence mentions an initial game setup trading post... doesn't say where that is?
That should've been pulled out.  There was a very early version that included the trading post in initial setup, but thought I'd later removed that reference.  May need to put it back depending on how quickly the traders can get a post built for the hunter to start converting pelts.

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:12:26 PM16. Pelts conversion - Rules say 1d6 for each 3 pelts o convert to gold at trading post or city. Does this mean the hunter must move there first?
Hunter needs to move to that location to convert pelts being carried.

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:12:26 PM17. Notes area for Hunter say Pelts = +1G each, +1G if collected adjacent to trading post. Is this in addition to above conversion?
No, that should've been removed.  Originally the hunter was just collecting pelts wherever, but later decided to keep him moving.  Might could switch it back easily enough.

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:12:26 PM18. Trails - Under Hunter actions is says trails can be cut through any space, but under Concepts is says trails can be cut through forests?
Should only be through forests.  Trade routes go anywhere.

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:38:59 PM
19. Under Hunter Actions - "Note that the game hunted/pelts collected cannot exceed the available game in that space" How is the "available" game determined?
The "available game" was replaced by the bonus to the game die roll (the deer icon)

Quote from: Barthheart on February 28, 2012, 07:38:59 PM20. Wild dice can only be used once each in a game not each turn?
1x/game.  Cross them off as you use them.  If you get the bonus dice from the random events tables, you get 1-2 extra, and can cross them off as they are used.

I hadn't touched this thing in 4-5 weeks (basically since we started moving into/renovating the new house) but I was sick of sitting on it, so I thought I'd throw it out for everyone to check out and tear apart.  So far, so good :)

Clearly I hadn't updated the digital files to match the last round of paper scribbles I had on the test sheets I had here.  Thank you for catching all that and chewing it up.

Barthheart

Who won the game?

Ok I think I have enough understanding to try the game. I'll post my first turn here to let you see if I'm doing it right.

bayonetbrant