7 Wonders

Started by bayonetbrant, January 28, 2012, 08:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Another great city-building game...  this one plays just as fast with 3 as it does with 7.  Great balance and nice mechanics to handle some very simple combat, and a nice injection of history.  Bayonet Jr even went on the hunt for a book about the original 7 Wonders to read about them after seeing them in the game.

Anyone else given this one a whirl?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Some friends introduced me to the game and we even got my wife to play.  It took one game to understand how it worked but after that it plays quick and was loads of fun.  We got the game and even had my in-laws playing.  There are plenty of options and ways to play that it won't get old.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

son_of_montfort

I have almost bought this one about 3 times now, but I heard it plays poorly with two (it uses a dummy player), so I passed on it. There were also a few complaints about card color discrepancies in the second reprint that scared me away.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on January 30, 2012, 11:16:44 PM
I have almost bought this one about 3 times now, but I heard it plays poorly with two (it uses a dummy player), so I passed on it. There were also a few complaints about card color discrepancies in the second reprint that scared me away.

I won't lie, it plays like crap with only 2.  But with 3+ it's a blast.  Here's the best endorsement: my dad won't put it down, and on a recent trip to Louisiana, bought 2 copies for other family member so he could play with them while on the road.  Dad's a huge history buff and was my introduction to wargaming, but he loves this game.

I've got a 2d ed reprint and have no probs with the colors/printing.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

TheCommandTent

Yeah two players is not so much fun.  Most of the games I have played where with 4 but I got in a couple with 6 players which was great as each decision on which card to play held even more weight.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bboyer66

Ya, its a real pain in the ass to play with only two players, which is the only way I have played so far.  I could tell though that it would be much better playing with 3+.

Capn Darwin

Fun game. Thanks for getting us hooked on it Brant.  :P Yet another game my youngest daughter can trash talk us while crushing us underfoot. It is a very fun game. Scoring is a bit of a pain but it works out. Need to break out the expansion and play one of these days.  8)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

New expansion out for 7 Wonders.  It's called "Cities"

Keunert

got to play this one recently and it was really fast and fun. i just didn't get a good grisp of what tactics would be smart to do.
i tried to rely on science but that did not work out that well. it looked like the way of the warrior is more promising.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

bayonetbrant

here's an interesting civ-builder that seems to steal some of 7 Wonders' mechanics

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

MetalDog

Just picked this up at the FLGS today.  I shut down the p&p D&D game for now but wanted to keep the group going.  So, four of us went to look over what we had for choices.  There was soooo much!  The main titles we settled on were Munchkin, Betrayal at Baldur's Gate, and 7 Wonders.  We settled on 7 Wonders.

We took an excruciatingly long time to suss the rules, but, once we did, it was pretty smooth sailing.  Got my butt handed to me twice :(  Can't wait to play again.  Everyone is else is so excited that I had no trouble convincing them to come back in two weeks for another go at it.  We had 4 tonight.  Can't wait to get seven!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's fairly popular at a few of my locals but I'm not really the biggest fan.  I don't actively dislike it or anything but it doesn't really click for me either.  Drafting mechanics aren't really my thing so that's probably the chief reason I'm lukewarm in it.  Fortunately a play through doesn't take long at all.