Star Trek: Ascendancy

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, July 30, 2017, 10:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've been playing the Star Trek full conversion mod on Stellaris and having fun with it (which is weird as I'm not a Trek fan) and I saw more than a few posts on the forum recommending the board game, Star Trek: Ascendancy.  I watched a few let's play and review vids and it looks interesting but there does seem to be a lot of down time between turns.

Anyone played it?  Any thoughts?

bbmike

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 30, 2017, 10:23:08 PM
I've been playing the Star Trek full conversion mod on Stellaris and having fun with it (which is weird as I'm not a Trek fan) and I saw more than a few posts on the forum recommending the board game, Star Trek: Ascendancy.  I watched a few let's play and review vids and it looks interesting but there does seem to be a lot of down time between turns.

>:D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

I saw this being played at Origins. The two things that keep me from buying it are the HUGE board size and the fact it is 3+ players.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: bbmike on July 31, 2017, 05:22:05 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 30, 2017, 10:23:08 PM

>:D

What?  I just don't get that into the show.  I watched the original series when I was a kid and enjoyed some of the episodes well enough.  I liked Enterprise as well.  Didn't care for TNG too much.  I've only seen 5-6 episodes of DS9 but they were all pretty much the most retarded things I've ever seen put on screen.  My friends who are fans tell me I just had bad luck and saw all the worst episodes.  Maybe that's true but those episodes did make it to air when they never should have seen the light of day.  Vulcans smugly playing baseball?   Ridiculous!  Never have seen a complete episode of Voyager. 

Anyway, my problem isn't so much with the show, but the obsessive nature of many of the fans.  It can be a little off-putting. 

I've enjoyed the Star Trek based capital ship combat games I've played.  I'm just not that into the characters and stories that much.   

BanzaiCat

I own it. It's a pretty good game; I really like the variable map and warp lane lengths. It can get a bit crowded, so have a decent-sized table. The game only comes with three races, but there's expansions for two others I think (it comes with the Feds, Klingons, and Romulans, but they sell expansions for the Ferengi and Dominion, I believe).

Besides the varying map, it's a co-op game, so you can play it solo very well. If you're looking for something to solo, you'd like this one.

There's a lot of components to it (ships and such), but it's pretty easy to get a hold of.

Been wanting to do a gameplay video of it, actually.

Barthheart

Ascendancy is not a coop game. Star Trek Frontiers is the coop game.

I looked at Ascendancy a couple of time but as there's no real way to solo and it feels to me to be a pasted on theme I passed. It could have been generic SciFi people's and would work just as well.

BanzaiCat

Ach, my bad. Right, it's NOT co-op; Frontiers is co-op.

However, I've played Ascendancy solo with no trouble. It's better to play with other people, though.

mirth

Coop game? Where do you get the coops?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Probably in some German-made eurogame with farm animal molestation.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

BanzaiCat

mirth

Minus the blitz. Too war-like.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I ordered it because...you know...i need another big box game on the shelf that will likely not get played.  And there are expansions being released for it so I will be able to spend even more money!

Barthheart

Well if we ever meet up on the left coast I'll play it with you.