Gaming with Kids

Started by Bison, November 06, 2016, 11:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I love gaming with the kids and wife.  It really has been a blessing for us as a family. 

Things I've learned over the past few years:

Young kids don't like conflict...generally speaking.  Co-op and low conflict games are great.
Not all games are equally loved by all.
Games that play quickly are good.
Kids love using their imagination.  Role playing games are fun.
As they get older and play more games...you better know the rules dad.

Anyway...I've got a list of games and many, many thoughts about them.

I hope others will chime in with their thoughts and experiences too.

Moreb

Well I was so intrigued by the Mice and Mystics that I ordered the base game and both expansions a few moments ago.

When dongles fly? - mirth

Moreb

The Heart of Glorm is out of print, expensive from most places, but I was lucky to find a copy at cost. They had 2.

WOW, the place I just ordered from is now out of stock also.

Bison

I've heard good things, but that is not a game we've played.  I wonder if that game time is correct.  I'd definitely make sure I have it setup in a location that we could play and come back to after a break.

I'd also consider some quick and easy card games.  Gamewright makes a variety of card games that play in 10-15 minutes and cost like $10 or less on amazon.  Light on rules, quick game play, plus a little math/memory skills.  A good example is:

Rat-a-Tat Cat
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3837/rat-tat-cat
or
Zeus on the Loose
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22864/zeus-loose

My youngest daughter loves Sleeping Queens.  Plays in 10 minutes and she loves the princess art.  I'll admit that I enjoy the game too.  The best part is she knows the rules and can explain them to me. 

Bison

What sort of themes is your grandson into?  Like superheroes, animals, cars....

Moreb

Keep them coming Bison. The funny thing is that this weekend I have remodeled a bedroom into a gaming room. New paint. Ripped up a laminate and installed new underlayment and a luxury vinyl plank. New doors, although the main door isn't hung yet. I was looking earlier for some decent folding gaming tables. We've yet to order the furniture but I plan on putting my new computer build there along with a t.v. . Bookshelves will be added for all my ASL games with any new additions to be stored there also.

A few days ago my adult daughter invited us over for a gaming night. We've missed the past couple of weeks.

Moreb

Quote from: Bison on November 07, 2016, 12:01:18 AM

He loves both cars and superheroes. And he loves hearing stories so I took a gamble with it.

Bison

Quote from: Moreb on November 07, 2016, 12:08:14 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 07, 2016, 12:01:18 AM

He loves both cars and superheroes. And he loves hearing stories so I took a gamble with it.

I think you'll be alright.  The minis should make the game that much cooler for him.

I'd also consider just picking up a cheap deck of cards with marvel superheroes on them.  You can play go fish, memory, or war with them. 

Moreb

Good Idea. We've played a bit of Go Fish and Memory. I might have been a little hasty is stating that he needs to mature a bit because since I originally asked about games in May he has in fact matured quite a bit. I enrolled him in Karate for some self esteem. The first lesson he was to view a class in session before starting his own. He was so nervous and told me so several times as we waited. Like I said he is incredibly intelligent but a bit socially awkward. At least he was. While we were sitting there he says, 'Pepaw, I don't like karate. I like playing video games, watching t.v. and riding my bike'. So I tell him 'Ain't nobody says you can't still do those things. Give it a try and if you don't like it, you don't have to do it'.

Well he loved karate and broke right out of his shell and has done really good at it. Not that it's like any contact at this point, but the structure, exercise, and self control lessons have been great. So now I do think it's time to try and do some more gaming with him.

I bought him an xbox 1 for Christmas last year and from the beginning he was a wiz at it. All the buttons and things he just picked right up on. But I don't want him relying too much on digital so I am going to take what you said to heart because I think you've found a time tested activity to spend some quality hours at. The simpler things in life are things my family strives for. We are fishers, hunters, hikers, bike riders etc. Time to add a little bit more of what I enjoyed immensely as a kid, gaming. It's something my wife will participate in because she loathes anything digital.

Yskonyn

Cool thread !

My Son is turning 4 soon and he already has interest in games. My aunt says he should be ready for Catan Junior, but I am curious what you guys share here as well!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Bison

I'd check out the games lineup from HABA too.  German company that makes a great assortment of kids games.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamepublisher/384/haba-habermaass-gmbh

The younger kid games (3+ years old) are generally dexterity type games, but the important part is the structure of "rules". 

As far as the Junior games like Catan and Stone Age, I have mixed feelings.  Brant and others have spoken highly of them and they have good judgement on games. 

bayonetbrant

I'll second Gamewright as a great source for kids. 

My daughter digs Sleeping Queens, and Pounce, and Castle Keep.

Both of my kids started with Kids of Carcassonne (now re-released as "My First Carcassonne" - same game, new box) and my daughter also loves Monster Factory (another tile-laying game).

My daughter is almost ready for Ticket to Ride, but there's apparently a kids version of that one, too, that I need to track down and check out
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

and look at what popped up in my "on this day" memories on Facebook...

Bayonette playing her first game of Kids of Carc with me
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jamus34

Jumping in from the other thread.

My youngest (4) right now doesn't have the patience or attention span to play more than games like chutes and ladders or candyland.

My older 2 (7 & 10) are all about games. We play Carcassonne regularly, my oldest knows chess and is starting to developer strategy and the 7 yr old is learning it.

I would like to get them into some light / quick RPG games and strategy. Card games are good too, we've started playing Mille Bourne too.

Any ideas or options to look into
Insert witty comment here.

Moreb

Cute pic. I envy you guys (Bison, bayonetbrant, jamus34,Yskonyn). I'm 47 now and my daughter has been out for 6 years now. I miss that time that I squandered while she was young although we rarely spent a night apart. I was heavily into dirt bike riding from a young age and then eventually my daughter was too. She had her first motorcycle when she was 5, her second at six. Through the years we spent almost every weekend riding and I'll cherish that time forever. Through a twist of fate we are now just a couple towns away from each other so I get to visit my grandson often.

Not to get sappy but the years I could least afford the luxuries were the best of my life. We didn't know we were poor. It didnt matter. Life has been good for us and I'm just glad to be a part of her life still.

So enjoy every day with your children. It goes fast.

Carry on.