Help Me With a 4x Card-Based Game Design

Started by bayonetbrant, January 16, 2015, 08:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

For combat rounds, can you use some sort of initiative / commander / proficiency rating? This may allow one side more combat rounds than the other. Maybe build it in as a gained skill ability, or is that making it more complex than you're looking for?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

bayonetbrant

I want an initiative piece, but beyond that, the complexity might get out of hand.  There needs to be more than just "I've got more than you" mechanic to it, but it's not a pure wargame so it can't be a greater focus than the other mechanics.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

anyone got thoughts on labels for the types of towns that would provide org/leader effects?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

You mean like 'War College Town' or 'Regional HQ Town' or 'Defensible Hub Town" or something like that?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

bob48

So are you wanting a description that describes the main attribute of the town, such as 'Market Town' (food production), 'Blacksmith Town' (weapon production), 'Garrison Town' (recruitment) and so on?

'Clip those corners'

BanzaiCat

You could give multiples of those functions to the different towns.

So with Bawb's idea, say a Market Town produces three gold, one food, and one weapon. A Blacksmith town produces three weapons, one gold, and one food. And so forth.

Perhaps a player could play multiples and get bonuses to production.

bayonetbrant

back up one step.

there will be cards that handle production.

each town will have cards that add to production, like a smithy or a caravansary

each 'urban' card has 2 attributes, a size and a characteristic
Size is easy (see above) but the characteristics are a little tougher to attach names to
Don't rack your brains around trying to create effects yet - I just need names

I've got an outline of the effects all ready to go with a draft set of cards :)

BanzaiCat

If you're looking for medieval location names...the ones above are pretty spot-on. However, I get your point about making the names more 'medieval' - you're going to need some wordsmithing to make it have more of a medieval feel. (And if that's exactly what you're saying, I'm good at pointing out the obvious, obviously).

But, you're going to need to balance that out with obviousness. I mean, you can't use Old English names for locales, because I think people will spend more time being confused and looking up the names in the rule book. It certainly would give the right feel, using Old English place names, but there's a big disconnect there. However, there might be a few you can use that people could get behind (at least, me, since I'm generally familiar with some terms):

Barracks/Military - Yeomanry
Market - Faire/Guild
Cloth/Textiles - Mercers
Fish - Fishmonger
Metalworks - Founders/Ironmonger
Archer weapons - Boywers
Fur traders - Skinners

bayonetbrant

QuoteTypes of effects of cities (waaaay incomplete)

Descriptors      Bonus/Effect
Walled             Defense
Market             Gold
Harbor             Goods  <-- I'm fine w/ changing this name but it works for now
Garrison           Free Unit
Court              Die Roll Mods
                   Orgs
                   Leaders

just looking for help with the bottom 2

BanzaiCat

Well damn.  :-[

Hopefully that's more food for thought.

First thoughts with those last two are that Orgs should be Guilds, and Leaders should be Barons, or simply Lords.

bob48

'Clip those corners'

bayonetbrant

So a "Lords Outpost" or a "Guild Village"?

the only issue with using "guild" there is that I was planning on using it in the names of several of the actual organizations (like Stags suggested above) that are primarily merchant/trade/exploration-based

I can reuse it, at least for now, and see what comes up later :)

Not sold on "Lords" but willing to deal with it for now just to get labels on things

BanzaiCat

Okay...so you're looking for Leader and Org names specific to separate players? So if this is a game for up to six, you want six different Leaders and six different Orgs?

bayonetbrant

No. I'm looking for generic labels to apply to settlements to indicate the nature of that settlement. Heidelberg was always a university town. That didn't mean they didn't have a market, a smithy, and a tavern. But the presence of a smithy doesn't make it an industrial town, either