Status of online, multiplayer combat flight simming?

Started by Toonces, August 12, 2017, 11:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

I think one of the new features being added for the kuban module in il2 boX is a dedicated coop mode which should be fun for playing single player content with a few friends.  A lot of players have been asking for this since the beginning, nice to have it finally implemented.  The drop in coop mode works great in arma, I'd love to see it implimented in a similar way for flight sims.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on August 13, 2017, 08:53:52 AM
We should schedule an online Grogheads Flight night (after I get my keyboard situation fixed of course).  :crazy2:

I expect you'll just end up spilling your liquor in the next one soon, too.

:))

mirth

We should schedule an online Grogheads Flight night (after I get my keyboard situation fixed of course).  :crazy2:

A gunked up keyboard. The curse of many a Groghead.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on August 14, 2017, 04:57:34 PM

A gunked up keyboard. The curse of many a Groghead.

Along with bookmarked goatse.cx sites.

Toonces

It turns out that Aces High 3 has migrated over to Steam.  I went ahead and installed it last weekend.  It comes with a free 2-week trial period so I figured it was low-risk.  The only thing  you can't do during the trial that I can tell is you can't download custom skins; all the other functionality is there.

I've logged about 10 hours the last couple of days.  The game looks good.  During Sunday and most weeknights the number of players seems to hang around 100-150.  100 is kind of light; 150 is when it starts to get interesting.  I can't remember how that stacks up to the old days pre-War Thunder.

Gameplay is essentially the same.  For some reason my TrackIR works much more smoothly in the version than previous versions, and I've been using that pretty much exclusively vice using hat switches. 

I need to give it a bit more time before I commit to $15/month.  Sortieing out of fightertown into furballs is fun,  but I'm not sure that's going to have legs long term.  Right now the experience is novel again, but I fear it will wear off.  I mean, it's good fun to kill a couple of hours, but I'm not sure it's $15/month worth good fun.  I'll keep you posted.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs