Winter War - Finns vs. Commies - Order of Battle WW2

Started by airboy, October 31, 2016, 06:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

I've got screen shots of the next two scenarios.  Just need to edit with Paint and post them.

Unfortunately, the fires in the South East have made my allergies go nuts.  I feel like I have a cold.

airboy

Scenario 2 - Suomussalmi

Suomussalmi is in Central Finland.  The Finns are counter-attacking to drive the Russians out.  This scenario has a very long time span - 40 turns.  The only short-term objective is capturing the Soviet HQ which must be done by turn 3.

My strategy is to drive in two prongs.  The first is through the central road net after capturing the Russian HQ.  The second is to swing through the North to take the secondary objectives.  The North lacks a good road net and I've placed my ski troops on that front where broken terrain mobility is key.

airboy

Turn 1

Turn 1 went very well.  In the Central attack I eliminated the commie unit and have multiple units close to the Russian HQ.  In the North I eliminated a unit and sent out flanker ski units.

Central Front

North Front

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Central Front - Turn 2

In the Central Front on Turn 2 I captured the Commie HQ.  Because I captured the HQ before the end of Turn 3 I got the troop deployments around the last victory hex I need to capture.  That hex is heavily defended, but my Finns can probably surround them and chop them up.

Stalin will be very angry that the HQ fell so fast - but my Finns gave them beers and put them in the Sauna for giving up so fast.

airboy

Turn 2 & 3 Northern Front

The Commies did not have many troops in the North.  Turn 2 shows my destruction of more Soviets and the heavy damage inflicted on an infantry unit and a heavy artillery unit.  By the end of turn 3 I've wiped them out.

I'll be advancing South-East along the road.  There are probably a couple of other Russians lurking as I've marked on the map.  But the Northern Front fell very fast.  My ski troops enabled me to hit units on multiple flanks which gives a combat bonus to the attacker.

Crossroads

Go get'em  :knuppel2:

Gotta love those frozen palm trees though  :))
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

airboy

Turn 4

Everything is going quite well.  In the North I encountered a Commie unit where I suspected one would be.  I ran my first unit up to the border of the city and stopped.  That spotted the Commie.  First unit attacked.  Then moved up two more units which each attacked.  The Commie infantry retreated.  I'm moving my lowly single Finn artillery unit forward, but it is slow going by horse and mule over ice.

In the Center I've cleared out all of the Commie units except for a heavy infantry unit.  When these are dug in they are a bear to remove without artillery.  I'm going to attempt to maneuver to attack on multiple sides or perhaps cut it off from supply instead of a head on unsupported attack.

But the Commie Airforce has appeared and is strafing my units.  I have enough supply points to purchase a fighter unit - but I will suffer through at least two turns of undefended attacks before my Finn Fighter can be purchased, get airborne, and hit the target.

airboy

The Matrix sale has Winter War on Sale.  It also has US Marines and Morning Sun on sale.  All three of these have been enjoyable to me.  US Marines is the AAR on the enigma of a front page.  I did a review of Morning Sun.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Crossroads on November 23, 2016, 02:58:50 PM

More evidence of a worldwide Flood.  8)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 24, 2016, 10:59:52 AM
Quote from: Crossroads on November 23, 2016, 02:58:50 PM

More evidence of a worldwide Flood.  8)

Ha. I bought the game when it came out, of course I did. Just haven't had the time to play it. I love the map art especially (palms nor not). If only it would have 2D counters...

But not to distract from Airboy's excellent DAR! Go get'em!  :knuppel2:

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

airboy

Central Front Turn 5-10

On turn 5-6 I eliminated the Commie heavy infantry unit that was blocking the main road.  I did not attack all-out in order to conserve reinforcement points.
Turn 5 Central Front

By turn 7 I eliminated the Soviet Heavy Infantry Unit and was advancing towards the supply point.  I had not spotted that hex yet and I'm guessing it is garrisoned since it is a minor victory hex.  At the same time two Soviet Infantry units decided to move West and attack my supply centers.  I kept an infantry unit back and I also have a fortification.  I plan to largely stop moving East towards the Commie supply point until I am able to isolate and destroy the two Soviet infantry units.  Doing this preserves my force concentration while also potentially cutting the two attacking units off from supply.  Another reason for doing this is I have 33 turns left in the scenario.  No rush on time so no need to be greedy.
Turn 7 Central Front

Turn 8 - Love it When a Plan Comes Together
There was a garrison on the Soviet supply point which is a minor victory hex.  It was an armored car.  If I had moved at full speed towards the supply point without stopping within spotting distance it would have been very ugly.  By stopping and spotting I know to bring my anti-tank gun up to attack next turn.
Further West both Russian infantry units are getting hammered with one just about surrounded.  Fortifications are seldom taken by a single infantry unit, and the Soviet found that atheists "don't have a prayer."  It got hit by the fortress (I don't think it spotted it) and then my fortress attacked during my turn.  The result, a badly damaged and low organization Soviet infantry unit.  The other Soviet unit was hit by a two flank attack from two Finn infantry units.
Turn 8

Turn 10 Central Front - Immediate Objectives Completed
The screen shot is pulled back as far as I can.  All 3 of the Russian units seen on Turn 8 have been destroyed.  I stopped short of the small town on the NE of the map to be sure it did not have defenders.  None are there so I will take it next turn.  The road to the SE leads to the final victory hex and the large concentration of Soviet forces.  It will take me two turns or so to reunite my scattered forces.  Two Finn infantry units are to the Far West at my supply centers.  Also, before attempting the final victory hex and the concentration of Soviet Forces I both want to unite all of my Central Force troops but also give the Northern Forces time to move to the SE.  I have 30 turns left and have covered 2/3rds of a very large map.  So there is no great hurry.  It is best to be deliberate and execute the strategy.

airboy

That was frustrating.  I had finished everything on the previous update except the explanation of Turn 10 and inserting the photo - and my internet connection went down.  Fortunately, I had the other three screenshots and explanation already posted.

Crossroads

Quote from: airboy on November 24, 2016, 05:27:05 PM
That was frustrating.  I had finished everything on the previous update except the explanation of Turn 10 and inserting the photo - and my internet connection went down.  Fortunately, I had the other three screenshots and explanation already posted.

If you don't mind asking, how do you go on about to post in a manner some of the screenshots show up large, and some of them as attachment? That works out very neatly, much better than what I do in posting images linked directly to my dropbox.  Too bad the forum does not have spoiler tags to put the images into... Or at least I haven't found out about the correct syntax for them.

Really like the way you go on with your DAR. Great stuff!

airboy

Quote from: Crossroads on November 25, 2016, 07:23:42 AM
Quote from: airboy on November 24, 2016, 05:27:05 PM

If you don't mind asking, how do you go on about to post in a manner some of the screenshots show up large, and some of them as attachment? That works out very neatly, much better than what I do in posting images linked directly to my dropbox.  Too bad the forum does not have spoiler tags to put the images into... Or at least I haven't found out about the correct syntax for them.

Really like the way you go on with your DAR. Great stuff!

When I post there is a button for "attachments" and subsequently "more attachments."  I take my MS Paint edited screenshots and attach them to the post.  Then I add the description and do a "copy link" on the attachment.  Then I use the "insert photo" button and copy the link to the attached photo.  By doing this I have the attachments for those who want to click and view and also the enlarged version of the attachment on the post itself.  This website has all of the photos instead of importing them from another photo storage area.

The button for this is the first button on the second row.

One of the things I like about the game is the screenshots can be made by pushing one of the F keys.  It is much better than running a screenshot capture software in the background and then remembering to take pictures as you are playing.