Main Menu

ARMA 3

Started by Toonces, February 20, 2015, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2018, 06:58:49 AM
^ive had c2 for a long time, but never used it. How do you use the HUD mode quickly and effectively? I seem to be having a hard time nailing that one down.

It does take a lot to get used to and I am still trying to figure out all the details of it.....especially when you are under fire.  It even took me a bit to figure out even how to bring up the HUD, the manual wasn't exactly clear on that.  Once I figured out the keystrokes for it, I have had pretty good luck using it.  Of course, not sure how effectively since I still get killed a lot:)

But I just press key to select what soldiers that I want (for example "4" to select everyone) and then use the various adjustment keys to change formation, spacing, facing, and stance.  I am not master tactician but when I do point them at a spot, they seem to reasonably make use of the environment around it which makes you not have to be overly precise.

Even before I get to that level of orders, I like using the map to lay out a plan of approach for each of my soldiers so I don't have to micro manage them all the time.

Still need to play with the wheel options yet, but this is a game changer at least for me since I am really bad at micro managing everyone.  Soon I plan to break out voiceattack and see if it can even make things better for me.

Yskonyn

I use it like this:

First I divide my team in an fire element and a movement element.
Fire is red, movement is blue.

I hold TAB to pull up the HUD.
RMB on the coloured cube for team to get the marker to show.
Then SHIFT mousewheel to change formation and alignment.
SPACE to commit.

The advantage of C2 alignment is that the AI gets triggered to watch a certain area from within the formation, making it easier to create positions of mutual support and backside cover.

Its still a little cumbersome when you're under fire, but I always try to get a good cover position for my player soldier. Using the command camera (dot) and zooming out (numpad minus and plus) often gives you enough time and room to order your men around.

I already see that the more I use C2 the faster I can command.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MengJiao

Jarhead0331

Pretty cool mod...

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

WallysWorld

Big 3 GB update today on Steam for ARMA 3. It's the 1.84 update that was released. I was wondering why over 16 GB of disk space was eaten up by something and it was this update once expanded.

SUMMER "ENCORE" UPDATE

We'll deploy our next platform update (version 1.84) somewhere in July. This will contain various engine and platform fixes, but also a completely new set of free assets. Specifically, our Jets co-developers BRAVO ZERO ONE Studios wanted to celebrate the one-year anniversary of Jets DLC by releasing a few cool additions that will be available for free to everyone who owns Arma 3:

"USS Liberty" Destroyer Ship
        The NATO carrier strike group has a new addition; a destroyer-class ship with detailed interiors and new naval fire-support options. It's also capable of launching/recovering small naval vessels and helicopters. The USS Liberty is a static object that can be placed around the map via the Scenario Editor.
    "MIM-145 Defender" SAM System & "AN/MPQ-105" Radar System
        A stationary missile system used by NATO forces that presents a beyond-visual-range threat to even the most modern of aircraft. It can make use of the Data Link via the AN/MPQ-106 radar system.
    "S-750 Rhea" SAM System & "R-750 Cronus" Radar System
        CSAT's variant of a stationary long-range surface-to-air missile (SAM) system capable of engaging aerial targets from beyond-visual-range. It works in tandem with the R-750 Cronus radar system connected via the Data Link.
    Anti-Radiation Missiles & Small Diameter Guided Bomb
        Both NATO and CSAT receive new anti-radiation missiles, which are designed to auto-lock on ground targets that have their active radar sensor switched on. NATO fighter jets can also be equipped with new, relatively small, air-to-surface precision-guided bombs.

On top of that, our designers have been reviewing and improving all of the official Arma 3 scenarios and campaigns released so far. As you know, the game has changed a lot after its initial release, and we want to make sure that also our 'older' playable content makes optimal use of all the freshly introduced assets and gameplay features. You should see many of these changes to the playable content included in the 1.84 update.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Lowenstaat

Today I ran across this interesting video essay about Operation Flashpoint, ARMA, Bohemia Interactive, and Codemasters. I thought some of you might enjoy it, too, especially if you've played the older titles.

"Initiative compensates for a lack of skill."

mbar

Thanks! put it on my watch later list.

Bardolph

That was pretty cool, and nearly made me install OFP. This new computer is the only one I've owned since 2001 that hasn't had OFP installed on it. So far.

Jarhead0331

One of the greatest games, and game series of all time in my opinion.  Also, Bohemia is one of the greatest developers of all time. The amount of ongoing support, love and free content they provide for their community is second to none.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Dammit Carl!

I need to carve out a couple of months for just solely Arma related activities - too smitten with things like Insurgency/Day of Infamy/Insurgency Sandstorm/RO2/RS2/etc. as they hit my sweet spot of "just complicated enough for me" yet action-packed.

Need to apply myself better.

jomni

Quote from: Lowenstaat on January 22, 2019, 10:46:33 PM
Today I ran across this interesting video essay about Operation Flashpoint, ARMA, Bohemia Interactive, and Codemasters. I thought some of you might enjoy it, too, especially if you've played the older titles.

A discerning player will know that Dragon Rising / Red River is not a real Operation Flashpoint game and just riding on the name. I had it before and it feels like Battlefield or CoD. ARMA feels the same as the original Op Flashpoint.

Jarhead0331

^I enjoyed Dragon Rising/Red Rising and would not put them in the same category as a COD or a Battlefield. Still, not a true successor or sequel to the original OFP, but still worth a complete play through.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2019, 05:55:23 PM
^I enjoyed Dragon Rising/Red Rising and would not put them in the same category as a COD or a Battlefield. Still, not a true successor or sequel to the original OFP, but still worth a complete play through.

Yup I had them all, and played them all back in the days.

HoodedHorseJoe

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 24, 2019, 05:55:23 PM

Yeah me and my friend had some brilliant times on DR/RR on the Xbox 360. It was the first time we'd played a more hardcore shooter like that and it was a blast.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.