Which RPGs Would You Rather Play On The Forum

Started by Nefaro, October 11, 2018, 02:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

No preferences here myself.

For either game option, would supplemental books (i.e. Main Gauche for Zweihander, Book of Thieves for Conan, etc.) be used or is that a little cart-before-the-horse at this point?

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on October 23, 2018, 07:08:43 AM
No preferences here myself.

For either game option, would supplemental books (i.e. Main Gauche for Zweihander, Book of Thieves for Conan, etc.) be used or is that a little cart-before-the-horse at this point?

Zweihander would just be the core book at the moment.  Since Main Gauche isn't technically finished, I didn't plan on delving into it yet.

For Conan, I'd definitely add the Thief, Barbarian, and Book Of Skelos expansions at a minimum.  At least for character creation options.  I believe the online char gen site also has the Pirate option along with those, but probably won't mess with that yet (not necessarily going to be a heavy seagoing theme anyway).

Nefaro

As for general themes, Zweihander would have the WFRP-esque dark renaissance travails of lowly peasants, oddballs, and ne'er-do-wells finding increasingly dangerous and disturbing trouble in a world being consumed by dark entities and their conspiracies.  Can be rather brutal.

Conan, on the other hand, would also be dark but ultimately more heroic in nature & action.  Instead of starting off as average joes, they'll already be somewhat capable and have a history.  Would naturally be more pulpy, such as finding ancient ruins and wicked things more sensible dregs would leave alone.

:nerd:

airboy

Yskonyn

I am feeling Conan more than Zwei, but that's just because I am more familiar with the setting.

I have no preference, really. Both games are interesting!  :bd:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Double Deuce

I don't really have a preference either way. I have never played either system.

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 23, 2018, 04:38:25 PM
I am feeling Conan more than Zwei, but that's just because I am more familiar with the setting.

I have no preference, really. Both games are interesting!  :bd:
Quote from: airboy on October 23, 2018, 11:49:06 AM
I have a strong preference for Conan.

Quote from: Double Deuce on October 23, 2018, 05:17:51 PM
I don't really have a preference either way. I have never played either system.

Sounds like Conan is at the top!

:bd:

Yskonyn

Should we start rolling a character?
Any restrictions you want to impose (I have all books)

I am looking forward to Hyborea!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 29, 2018, 06:40:02 AM
Should we start rolling a character?
Any restrictions you want to impose (I have all books)

I am looking forward to Hyborea!

If you wanna jump early on character creation, then go for it.  O0

Use the RE Howard's Conan online character generator hereCheck the Thief, Barbarian, Skelos, and Mercenary boxes so the extra character options from those are available.

For those who are unfamiliar with the Conan system, I'd recommend using the "Play The Hand That Your Are Dealt" which will randomize some stuff, but still give you narrowed down options where to spend some of your skill points.  Or just play around with it to get an idea how it works since it not only includes attribute & skill numbers but generates some background.  It's a nice mix of random gen and choice.

Feel free to use any of the four generation methods other than 'Shadows of the Past'.  They range from Normal (lots of choosing?) to Random.

Save your chosen character's PDF after you've generated it on that site.  Will have you attach a copy later.

I'll create a new Conan thread in the forum game section later for an official thread, and link it here, once I have written a summary of the game basics.  Those unfamiliar with the game can wait until I fill them in on the basics of the rules so they will know what is what before making a character.  May still be awhile before I get that 'Wall Of Text Crit' done.  Doesn't mean you can't play around with the char gen in the meantime, though.  8)

Dammit Carl!

That character generator is the bees-knees.  Thanks!

Double Deuce

Wow, that auto-generator was more indepth than I was expecting. But I got a PC now.    :knuppel2:

Yskonyn

Dear GM, might I propose something here:

I'd like to put Microsoft OneNote out there for a fantastic way to organise playing.
Each player can get his own topic in the notebook and the GM notes can be shut off by password.
Its a neat way to keep things organised and easy for everyone to keep track of what's going on.
Of course there are similar tools out there, but OneNote is free and already included in Win 10 if you run that.

Just my 2 cents.

If the link above doesn't show here is the weblink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqhePj9ratI

airboy

What type of characters are you playing?  What does the party need?  I can play most anything.

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 30, 2018, 09:36:48 AM
Dear GM, might I propose something here:
<..>

I'd like to put Microsoft OneNote out there for a fantastic way to organise playing.
Each player can get his own topic in the notebook and the GM notes can be shut off by password.
Its a neat way to keep things organised and easy for everyone to keep track of what's going on.
Of course there are similar tools out there, but OneNote is free and already included in Win 10 if you run that.

Just my 2 cents.

If the link above doesn't show here is the weblink: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqhePj9ratI

Thanks Yassy!  I'll check it out!

Quote from: airboy on October 30, 2018, 11:45:16 AM
What type of characters are you playing?  What does the party need?  I can play most anything.

Would probably be a good idea to coordinate with the others for covering a wider range of skills.

Sorcerer types aren't essential but someone can run one if they want.  Alchemy and Sorcery skills are the sorcerer's thing.  Sorcery also requires a Feat to provide spell(s) as the skill, alone, is basically just knowledge & a cast check thing.  Sorcerers have to make deals with unseemly types, such as another sorcerer or demons of the outer dark, in order to learn each spell.  Alchemy (petty magic) is what you'd expect: making explosive grenade-type devices, blinding powders, etc. 

Mostly the scholars and priests are the archetypes which have some segue into optionally getting those sorcerer skills. 

One of the things I like about Conan 2d20 is how comparatively effective the weapons can be.  While that battle axe can potentially do more damage, a dagger or staff can keep up quite well and potentially be as deadly depending on the skill of the user & playing to it's strengths.  None of that straight-up 1d4 vs 1d8 damage jive.   8)  Less rules push towards min-max'ing those.   :bd:

I wanted to post some tips regarding which skills are used for what, as the online chargen probably doesn't specify.  Will add that in the basic rules rundown.

Nefaro

As for character choices, go with what you want. 

I will generally tailor the experience towards what you chose for you characters to be better at.  Your skill choices are an indicator, to me, of what type of game you want.   <:-)