Carrier (Solitaire, VG)

Started by BanzaiCat, August 06, 2013, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I still have both Carrier and Tokyo Express in a prominent part of my gaming shelf...err, shelves. I have about ten places in my office where I've stashed them all...wish I had a proper game room.

I keep getting new shinies to cover, though!

bbmike

I received a copy of Carrier that I got from eBay last week.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Jarhead0331

I think I want this game. Looks like its hard to find...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bbmike

I wish. I have yet to go through it and see if everything is there.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bbmike on July 28, 2017, 06:56:34 PM

Easy enough. If you are missing counters I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to replicate them.

Staggerwing

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 28, 2017, 06:58:49 PM

Easy enough. If you are missing counters I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to replicate them.

True. The ones in the pix above look home-brewed as well. If not, the die-cutting run must have been done on a monday morning or a friday afternoon.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GJK

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 28, 2017, 07:05:10 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 28, 2017, 06:58:49 PM

True. The ones in the pix above look home-brewed as well. If not, the die-cutting run must have been done on a monday morning or a friday afternoon.

Those pictured above are home-brewed (available on BGG still I believe).  Interesting timing on renewing this thread as I was just thinking of this game earlier today.  My personal to-do list for it: 1) update/completely overhaul the VASSAL module 2) finish adding and proofing all the charts for my online GAP program 3) finish building out a complete players copy of the game.  I have 3 copies of this game (one is unpunched and will remain so for the time being).  The other two are players copies so I want to find the best counter from the set and make a nice players copy.  I will then likely donate the 3rd copy to somebody that I know will play it.  This is definitely a game that you want to acquire given the opportunity.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

bbmike

Finally took the shrink wrap off this(the seller actually shrink wrapped and packed it nicely!). I was very, very happy with the contents. The seller said this came from an estate sale. According to what is listed on Board Game Geek I have everything except the counter tray (did this really ship with a counter tray?). All of the counters were there. Even the registration card and an Avalon Hill order form. The counters seemed as if they were just punched, still very dusty! This game was either never played or only used once or twice. There was even a nice photocopied review from Fire & Movement #73 in the box. Whoever owned this, thank you for taking such good care.
Also, while I was sorting out the airplane counters, I was confused to find F-14s, A-7s, and A-6s. I thought, "What is this? The Final Countdown?". I pulled out the rules and looked. Scenario 32.0 The Final Countdown. Damn!

Now I need to find a proper counter try.

p.s. Some of you are probably wondering so...I paid $110 for it.  :buck2:
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on July 29, 2017, 10:25:26 AM

OUCH! I was going to offer to buy GJK's extra copy but....  :o

GJK

Carrier did ship with a tray.  AH used the "clamshell" all clear trays back in the day. 

One Plano 3701 will work just fine for this one and you'll never have to worry about a flimsy counter tray lid coming off and pieces going everywhere.

I still need to finish putting together the extra copy and verifying it but once I do, this place will be the first that I go to look for any interested buyers.
----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Barthheart

bbmike

Quote from: Barthheart on July 29, 2017, 11:30:09 AM
Quote from: bbmike on July 29, 2017, 10:25:26 AM

OUCH! I was going to offer to buy GJK's extra copy but....  :o

I know. That's the best deal I've seen in a while. Considering the shape it is in I don't feel too bad.
Now the only question is to clip or not......  >:D
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

The Nimitz should be in the counter mix too...

GJK

----------------------
----------------------

-Dean Vernon Wormer