Main Menu

DCS Discussion

Started by republic, October 28, 2013, 06:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

I'm in. I want to blow stuff up but I don't want to have to read a 30 page book and spend 20 minutes getting the engines turned on
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

So now I'm in the market for a WWII arena game, I was looking at DCS.

It looks pretty expensive. I was going through the figures and to get in at a base level (I already have the P-51), I'm looking to pay out $45 for the terrain pack.

However, add the other aircraft in, the assets pack and throw in a few missions and I'm looking at a total bill of $225 - that seems very, very steep. Clearly I wouldn't buy it all in one go - but I'm wondering what the flying and immersion experience is like compared to other products?
Alba gu' brath

mbar

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

I would hold off for a sale JD. You just missed the DCS summer sale. Both the map and asset packs were heavily discounted. I almost jumped on it, but I'm just not interested in playing DCS in WWII, and I heard that support and updates have been infrequent.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2018, 11:08:45 AM
I would hold off for a sale JD. You just missed the DCS summer sale. Both the map and asset packs were heavily discounted. I almost jumped on it, but I'm just not interested in playing DCS in WWII, and I heard that support and updates have been infrequent.
Cheers. I'm not really that into WWII for flight simming - but the daughters BF loves it. He'll be gutted 1C took away BoS and BoM
Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 18, 2018, 01:13:26 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 18, 2018, 11:08:45 AM
Cheers. I'm not really that into WWII for flight simming - but the daughters BF loves it. He'll be gutted 1C took away BoS and BoM

Then honestly, you're probably just better off getting BoS and BoM again. Its a superior sim for WWII. I think its great you can indulge in this hobby with your daughter's boyfriend. I hope someday (many, many, many years in the future) my daughter meets a gentleman that shares some of my interests.  O0
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mbar

A cheaper alternative that might be worth a look.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover Blitz Edition.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/754530/IL2_Sturmovik_Cliffs_of_Dover_Blitz_Edition/

Tuna

Did they fix the Engine sound issue?

mbar

I was not aware. I do not have the game. I should withdraw that suggestion. I just looked at the community hub and there are many sticky threads about resolving various issues. Could potentially be more frustrating than fun.

JudgeDredd

I have it - and it can be frustrating. It was left in a proper mess
Alba gu' brath

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on July 17, 2018, 01:01:01 AM
I'm in. I want to blow stuff up but I don't want to have to read a 30 page book and spend 20 minutes getting the engines turned on

You can fly in the mission editor without too much manual reading.  Mirage again:

Apocalypse 31

More ED fuckery. This time they are shorting the Persian Gulf Map. From Wag Bag

QuoteAs of the update this week, the map size is final. From the start, the map was planned to include Iran, UAE, and Oman. This will not change.

When time allows though, we will try to add some additional airfields and landmarks in the UAE. Our may team has now moved on to the next map that we will announce later this year.

Yeah. Right.

Toonces

I haven't been following...how much more map were we expecting?

(I'm tempted to go log onto SimHQ just to see the fury).   :)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

RyanE

Quote from: Toonces on July 22, 2018, 08:45:36 PM
I haven't been following...how much more map were we expecting?

(I'm tempted to go log onto SimHQ just to see the "righteous" fury).   :)

Fixed that for you.