Revell Starship Enterprise (original series)

Started by JudgeDredd, April 08, 2018, 05:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I don't normally work on two models at the same time, but as I seem to be waiting an age for the PVA to set in the nose of my Vulcan, I thought I'd make a start on this

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I just got that sinking feeling...when you think you've got plenty of paint and realise out of the 13 paints required, you need to buy 11 new ones!!!
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Pretty sweet, JD!

Reminds me, I had one just like that, but my proudest model of all was the Enterprise-D from TNG. I painted that thing for a month including all the windows on it, just the right shades. Man it looked purty. :)

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 08, 2018, 06:26:38 AM
I just got that sinking feeling...when you think you've got plenty of paint and realise out of the 13 paints required, you need to buy 11 new ones!!!

I get that feeling every time I break out a new set of minis to paint.   :'(

Judging by how quickly you attain and complete kits, I imagine your paint shopping is a steady obsession.  :))

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on April 08, 2018, 10:16:10 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 08, 2018, 06:26:38 AM

I get that feeling every time I break out a new set of minis to paint.   :'(

lol

Judging by how quickly you attain and complete kits, I imagine your paint shopping is a steady obsession.  :))
Really? I make about 2 models a year. This year has been more productive, but mainly because they're 1/72. I've done 3 this year. The Vulcan will be my 4th and the Starship my 5th. If I get the Vulcan and Starship done by June I'll be a happy lad.

The Enterprise has some amount of clear parts. It'll be fitting those, painting the backs of them, gluing the pieces together then masking...probably with liquid mask

And - an added complication - the sprue connections to the parts are really thick, meaning quite a bit of "shaving" is required.
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Does the kit still have those terrible grid lines on the saucer? 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Sad.  That's the thing that's always kept me from getting that kit. 

I almost pulled the trigger on the Polar Lights kit with the full lighting suite a year ago, but decided I didn't want a year working on one project I might not finish completely.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

BanzaiCat

Those grid lines are on the blueprints; they're supposed to be the deflector grid/shield array.  :nerd:

SirAndrewD

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 08, 2018, 07:57:21 PM
Those grid lines are on the blueprints; they're supposed to be the deflector grid/shield array.  :nerd:

The grid lines are correct.  How deep and striking they are on the Revell kit is the problem.  They're even more prominent than the refit.

There are some kits with a totally smooth saucer that are equally bothersome.

The Polar Lights kit is the only one I saw that has it perfect. 

BanzaiCat

Gotcha, I understand. I seem to recall them being very pronounced on a kit I put together many years ago. I personally liked the detail but can see how it's not correct when compared with the actual smooth saucer section of the hull.

Rybon66

Man I built a similar kit in the late 70's.   The poor engines just did not have the strength to stand up to all the battles I fought with it.  I must have reglued them 10 times before I gave it up.   The backyard saw a lot of Klingon die.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 08, 2018, 03:31:47 PM
Really? I make about 2 models a year. This year has been more productive, but mainly because they're 1/72. I've done 3 this year. The Vulcan will be my 4th and the Starship my 5th. If I get the Vulcan and Starship done by June I'll be a happy lad.

The Enterprise has some amount of clear parts. It'll be fitting those, painting the backs of them, gluing the pieces together then masking...probably with liquid mask

And - an added complication - the sprue connections to the parts are really thick, meaning quite a bit of "shaving" is required.

Well.. you have been on a roll lately.   :coolsmiley:

As long as it's enjoyable, then it's paint money well spent!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: BanzaiCat on April 09, 2018, 07:07:34 AM
Gotcha, I understand. I seem to recall them being very pronounced on a kit I put together many years ago. I personally liked the detail but can see how it's not correct when compared with the actual smooth saucer section of the hull.

I read an interesting bit a while ago, nerdy as hell, about the line detail on the shooting model of the TOS Enterprise. 

A few industry model designers and VFX guys had a chance to really take a solid look at the model outside its enclosure, and took some really good pictures of the grids and painted on wear that didn't show up on 60's era film, but were clearly there to the eye. 

There was some question as to whether the grid was actually drawn/painted on, or if it was etched in.  They weren't allowed to touch the surface of the model to find out for obvious reasons.

The final conclusion by modelers aiming for getting close to the shooting model was that the lines should be there, but subtle.

There are some really hardcore modelers that have taken the Revell Kit and with a careful and long process of putty application, had great results. 

I can't go that far myself.  I've done that in the past on commission work, but never on my own. 

Still tempted to one day get this kit though.  I've built Refit and D Enterprise, but never a TOS aside from a tiny snap tight when I was a kid.

Can't wait to see how JD brings it together.