PC Games That Have Ignited a New Interest in You

Started by Gusington, June 12, 2019, 01:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wburn

i'd have to say it was MOO2 that wanted me to read the history of the conquest of the galaxy.

mikeck

"Empire Total war". Before that, I could tell you nothing about any war in the 18th century except the American revolution and the North American 7-years war theater. Hell, I hadn't realized there was a 7-years war theater In Europe! Pathetic. What, 10 years later and I still can't get enough of the era
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Staggerwing

Quote from: Wburn on June 12, 2019, 07:44:46 PM
i'd have to say it was MOO2 that wanted me to read the history of the conquest of the galaxy.

Who wins?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on June 12, 2019, 01:28:59 PM

What games have stirred your previously snoozing historical loins and led you to study topics that you have not previously? Keep it clean - but all examples of nerdgasm are welcome 😎

Most recently the most recent transmorgification of the old company level grand tactical thing led me to look into the aftermath of the Anvil/Dragoon landings in Southern France in August 1944...which reminds me that all those Graviteam things (op Star for example) made me check on what sources were available for say Operations Star and Gallop.  Oh and all those submarines in Cold Waters, I looked into those a bit.

em2nought

Funny, but it's also a current thread right now too.  Norm Koger's work in progress shots of Distant Guns sent me off to buy "The Czar's Last Armada".  By the time I was ready to buy the game it had been borked by DRM.  :(
Stolen elections have consequences.

Gusington

^I think I read that decades ago. It's a great book.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

SSI's Great Naval Battles Series....have loved ships with big guns ever since.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on June 14, 2019, 07:37:11 PM
How long ago was that?

IIRC, the first Great Naval Battles game (GNBNA) came out inn the early 90's, with the rest following over the next 5 or so years. I had that first one on floppy and later got that and all the others on CD in the ginormous box set that included the 'Demise of the Dreadnoughts' WW1 game you couldn't get on it's own. I could be mis-remembering but I think only the first one had carrier ops with deck handling that you could micromanage, which made it my favorite despite it's more primitive graphics.

Since SSI was bought by Ubisoft who then buried it in some deep dark hole I don't think we will see the GNB gamers on GOG any time soon. The 'original' disks do pop up on eBay but you will probably need dosbox to run them on anything after Win98.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

I'm still holding out for Kampgruppe 2. Probably any day now.  <:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

IICptMillerII

I've always been interested in modern naval warfare, but CMANO really increased my interest. I went from understanding the big picture concepts like Mahan, and how an aircraft carrier is generally protected, to understanding the nitty gritty technical realities of modern naval warfare. All of its complexities and variables, and how different types of ships and armaments change the calculus. Not to mention the air warfare side of things. Now, I can't get enough of throwing a CSG's weight around, and bringing all the options and firepower of a carrier air wing to bear. Watching all those 2D counters move around on a google earth map is a helluva lot more exciting than it first sounds.

The_Admiral

I'd say Lara Croft and her shorts in Tomb Raider I might have arrived at the right time to start igniting a new interest in the opposite sex. Although obviously she got a bit less blocky overtime, but I had my eyes elsewhere by then :-"

MikeGER

i remember when i got The Battle of Britain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Their_Finest_Hour_(video_game)  it came with a big fat manual with a large historical part... which got me reading more about the "Luftschlacht um England"  and the Luftwaffe in general

IIRC, the book i read then was  "Angriffshöhe 4000" by Cajus Bekker 

this might be the Englisch translation copy 
https://www.amazon.de/dp/0306806045/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_SKpbDbZ7HRV98

Gusington

Their Finest Hour's manual still moistens my loins.

As does Lara Croft's shorts.

Never even heard of Demise of the Dreadnoughts...I think I missed out :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd