What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

Has anyone read Thrawn yet?

IMHO opinion he's one of the more interesting Empire characters. Not every member of the Empire can be completely braindead...although they try.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: jamus34 on April 15, 2017, 10:01:00 PM
Has anyone read Thrawn yet?

IMHO opinion he's one of the more interesting Empire characters. Not every member of the Empire can be completely braindead...although they try.
That reminds me.  Must order Thrawn and David Weber's Shadow of Victory from Barnes & Noble.  I have a gift card burning a hole in my pocket.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Just started Backpacking with Dracula by Leif Pettersen.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on April 15, 2017, 02:47:33 PM
Finished The Historian...damn fine book and one that inspires me to write one similar, one day.

Started the graphic novel 1441 AD - Trail of Steel by Marcos Mateu-Mestre.

:bd:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

You were not fibbing, Sir. Took me two weeks to finish. And at ~650 pages that is no mean feat.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

I'm just finishing one of my periodic reads of LotR, which I first read in 1967(ish). This must be at least the 12th time I've read it, but it never gets old.

Next up, 'The Franco-Prussian War' volumes 1 & 2 by H.M.Hozier. Kindle downloads for just £0.99 each. I already have his book on the Seven Weeks War which is very good.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

^Any recommendations on the Thirty Years War? I ask this periodically and there never seems to be anything quite user friendly out there.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Yes, but its quite hard going in places, but very informative. 'The Thirty Years War Complete' by Friedrich Schiller.

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

Sounds intimidating. I guess I shouldn't be surprised there is no Thirty Years War for Dummies.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I pre-ordered Aliens: Bug Hunt about a month back and forgot about it, until it uploaded to my Kindle a few days ago. It's a collection of short stories about the Alien universe, with a decided slant towards Colonial Marines. If you're a fan of Aliens in particular, you'll like this book. I've read the first story and while it was somewhat predictable, it was still enjoyable.

I also finished My Life in the Red Army by Fred Virski. Not a bad book, but I wonder how much of it is fiction and truth. There's way too many coincidences in it and the conversations are far too clear (sort of like Forgotten Soldier and Soldat)...and he shirked most of his duty, but I couldn't really blame him considering the idiocy that was the Red Army. It was also very vague on training. Still, it was a decent book for the price ($2.99).

mirth

You drunk ordering shit again/still?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on April 24, 2017, 06:42:02 PM
You drunk ordering shit again/still?

LOL nope...I hardly ever buy books. When I do they're usually 2.99 or cheaper, on sale. This one was Aliens, though, so I had to do it even if it meant waiting a few weeks.

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on April 24, 2017, 05:56:15 PM
Sounds intimidating. I guess I shouldn't be surprised there is no Thirty Years War for Dummies.

It's well worth the effort.

'Clip those corners'