Dawn of war III ...who will get it

Started by MikeGER, April 24, 2017, 10:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

I played the beta tutorials and 2 MP matches so far ...and took the plunge

... sigh,  i needed to give me a treat today  (felt a little depressed) and giving in to a bad case of  Warhammer40k games collecting addiction is a good cure ^-^ ....well, not for the wallet so :-[

The pace is not as fast as i had feared in the MP matches i just did.
and i plan to play the 17 scenario campaign (all 3 races alternate, where 1 scenario needs about 45min to 60 min ...so the reports) and mostly skirmishes vs AI anyway.

Negative Point: the cam angle is fixed.  you can zoon in and out but no pan and tilt yet
(i guess that may change to some degree with editing some ini-file later) 

How is the evaluation on DOW III by the fellow Grogheads ?

Jarhead0331

I have it on preorder. Did not participate in the beta since I really have no interest in MP.

I'm shocked there is no pan or tilt...are you SURE about that?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

MikeGER

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 24, 2017, 11:03:17 AM
I'm shocked there is no pan or tilt...are you SURE about that?

Yes ...german reviewers talked about it, and i also saw a twitch stream (life) where those game-mag journalists were asked about it in the chat and did a double check on their life streaming preview copy while playing the first campaign missions  (i watched that stream to make my mind up about the campaign scenarios)   that game-mag-journalist had talked to the devs and was invited to special events where the journalists where allowed to play 5h and had spend a lot of time with the campaign alone before he went on twitch for the preview demonstration 

Not possible in the beta and not in the preview copy.

Jarhead0331

That is a really peculiar design decision. I wonder if it is a factor of the scale of the game, or the use of the "titan" size super vehicles...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

I played the BETA and it was shiney enough, but yes I noticed that not only could you not zoom in enough you could not pan either. Camera angle seemed fixed.
In addition their are more unit types at the expense of unit customisation. For instance DOW1 had a tactical squad able to upgrade to one of four weapons. In this game their are only two and no commanders to upgrade to at all. Same with dreadnaughts, they seem to be close combat only. I did not notice unit experience or cover values but may be wrong about that.
Everything looked great but the game played like blob wars. I was not a fan of the shields that are map features and seem to dominate it. These shields created lulls it seems and the other things that people seemed to wait for was for their hero magical warp ins (yes titans are insta fielded via beam down) to recharge before taking the offensive again. There are also magical hiding plates in the map I played.
There are some units missing from the game,,, aspect warriors I think for instance?
I loved the vehicle scale.. vehicles are large compared to men as it should be.

Army Customisation and painting however was pretty good. Liked that a lot.

I did not mind it, but it was more of the same really. Maybe a little more starcrafty, especially graphics wise.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Skwerl

Nefaro

I recall the original Dawn Of War's camera only have a a little zoom in/out, but not enough zoom OUT. 

Looks like they're using the same camera philosophy in #3.

Ofc there was a camera mod for the old DOW that allowed you to zoom out further.

Tinkershuffle

I really waited for this but apparently the devs have removed cover and suppression mechanics and all the other things that have made Relic's RTS games stand out. Think I'll pass.

Destraex

I did not notice suppression either... wierd. It really is starcraft.

Destraex

GeneralHawk

Yes will have to pass on this unfortunately.  Loved both 1 and 2.  As a single player campaigner, tremendously disappointed. Seems like an afterthought from the reviews.  Lack of cover, suppress mechanics, for example, turns this into a blob fest....
Gundog for life
D Co 2-35 IN
3 BDE 25th ID
OEF/OIF

JudgeDredd

Erm....no information? That doesn't bode well  :hide:
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I'm going to give this one a pass. 

Too many design decisions that take it away from what I loved about the previous game.  Seems they're catering to the e-sports guys.  Not sure that's going to do well for them.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jomni

Call it by another name then expectations are different.

Jarhead0331

Its too early for me to say anything definitive. I've only played the single player tutorials.

I see why people are saying it "feels" like a MOBA, and the feeling is definitely a little disconcerting. However, I'm willing to give the game a chance and see how it matures. I'm glad they have tried to combine DOWI and DOWII, but sad that they seem to have left some of the best features of each out. That being said, I'm happy there is base building, resource collection and Heroes.

Will post more impressions as I move through the campaign.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog