I broke the seal...

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2019, 10:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IICptMillerII

I've been tempted as well. Satisfactory and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw both look really interesting to me. Observation also looks like it could be a good experience, as well as Genesis Alpha One. AFAIK they are all exclusive on the Epic Store right now.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: IICptMillerII on August 27, 2019, 03:16:50 PM
I've been tempted as well. Satisfactory and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw both look really interesting to me. Observation also looks like it could be a good experience, as well as Genesis Alpha One. AFAIK they are all exclusive on the Epic Store right now.

Yes. I got Genesis Alpha One when it released on the Xbone because I didn't want to get it from Epic.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

-budd-

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 27, 2019, 03:29:43 PM

Yes. I got Genesis Alpha One when it released on the Xbone because I didn't want to get it from Epic.

Have you put any time into Genesis Alpha One yet? How is it? i have it on my Steam wishlist, supposed to release in Jan 2020 on Steam.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

JEEZ I forgot about Mechwarrior...

:/

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: -budd- on August 27, 2019, 05:49:01 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 27, 2019, 03:29:43 PM

Have you put any time into Genesis Alpha One yet? How is it? i have it on my Steam wishlist, supposed to release in Jan 2020 on Steam.

Probably about 3 -5 hours. Its pretty cool.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Updated impressions of the epic platform. One good, one bad.

First the bad...I opened the epic software the other day to see a contact in my friend list. I hadn't added anybody, or received a notification that someone had requested to be added. I did some very quick research and saw something that led me to believe it was epic related, like a tech support contact, or something, so I left it. Then the next day, I saw a second contact in the list. Both names had Russian text or what appeared to be Cyrillic and this upset me. They appeared to be bots of some kind. No idea what they were doing, but I deleted them immediately.

Now the good....I bought Phoenix Point mistakenly believing it had left preorder status and had been released for early access on the epic store. When I discovered there was no early access through the epic store purchase I requested a refund. This was on Sunday. By early Monday morning, I had a refund. No questions asked.

I'm still going to look deeper into the bot situation, but this appears to be another fundamental weakness with the platform. Nobody should be able to join your contact list without requiring your approval or receiving notification. Perhaps there is a privacy setting that needs adjusting. This all goes back to the functionality of the application that is so drastically inferior to steam. You would think they would have incorporated a lot of the steam functionality, but no...it's so bare bones.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

The Cyrillic text would definitely concern me.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Not going to buy anything from them...i've got enough games on GOG and steam

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2019, 06:36:09 AM
Perhaps there is a privacy setting that needs adjusting.

Default settings (if it is a privacy setting issue and not a fundamental flaw) should block this.  It shouldn't be up to you to go through all the settings to find out if you allowed stuff you're not ok with.

trek

Well, I'm glad someone here did finally break the seal.  I recently read an article in the NYTimes about Epic and Steam. From what I gleaned from the story there are some more big name players eyeing the online game store market. Way too much money involved here for big players to ignore it now and in the near future. So, it looks like this will be the wave of the future. Kinda' goes along with what's happening with Cable TV and the multiple streaming services. Having more competition will probably be good for us initially but will eventually cause us more headaches dealing with multiple storefronts and the accounts that go with them.

I bought Division 2 thru the Ubisoft Store to avoid Epic but I knew I was just putting off the inevitable too. JH, please give us your review of Rebel Galaxy Outlaw as that is one of the games I'm most interested in buying. Also, thanks for the info on Phoenix Point as I was planning on buying it too but since it is not available to play as of yet on Epic I will wait on that purchase.

Jarhead0331

Hey trek...

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is a pretty decent game and its been fun in small doses, but its also been a little frustrating for me too in terms of the initial money grind and taking on missions that are too difficult in the early game. I can see its appeal to gamers who loved the old classic space shooters in the vein of Privateer, etc. but with games like Elite and Star Citizen out there, RGO just doesn't really have enough there to hold my attention.

Its well made and it follows the vibe of the first title. If you liked the original game and those old arcade style space shooters then you will probably get your money's worth. For me, I'm not sure how much time I will put into it ultimately.  Take my opinion with a grain of salt I guess...I seem to be the exception, as it is getting very positive reviews. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 03, 2019, 06:36:09 AM
First the bad...I opened the epic software the other day to see a contact in my friend list. I hadn't added anybody, or received a notification that someone had requested to be added. I did some very quick research and saw something that led me to believe it was epic related, like a tech support contact, or something, so I left it. Then the next day, I saw a second contact in the list. Both names had Russian text or what appeared to be Cyrillic and this upset me. They appeared to be bots of some kind. No idea what they were doing, but I deleted them immediately.

That, to me, is a big deal. I have never had any kind of issue like this with Steam. The fact that it's possible for bot accounts to show up in your contacts list without any type of notification or manual screening on the users part is unacceptable. True it's 99% likely that it means nothing and nothing would ever come of it, but I'm not willing to take the chance that my payment information, or other information could be compromised so easily. I've already heard some sketchy stuff about the Epic software in general and how they handle payment information, and this just furthers my concern. I was seriously considering getting a game or two through the Epic store, but not anymore. Maybe in the future the Epic store will become more secure, but in the meantime I refuse to take any of the risks associated with it in its current state.

I'm no Steam fan boy by any stretch, and I always view more competition as a good thing for the consumer in the end. There are just too many prominent issues with Epic for me to trust it at all. I'm hoping it's because the software is new and needs some time to work itself out, and I'll reconsider in a few months. Until then though, it's Steam/GOG for me.

Grim.Reaper

I have had Epic since nearly day one that it has released (although have made no purchases, just grabbed free games---nothing has interested me enough to buy yet), so far don't have any contacts on my list so not sure what triggers those.  Don't think I changed any default settings or anything like that, but will keep my eye out in case I have any uninvited guests.  If/when a game releases I want, don't think I will hesitate to pull the trigger though...they just need to release something I want:)

trek

JH, Thanks for the info on RG Outlaw. I just remembered that I bought the original Rebel Galaxy a couple years back and didn't stick with it for long. After watching vids of the new game on YouTube I don't think I will enjoy it as much as I thought. Your comments reinforced my thoughts. Besides I need to get back into Elite again as that's my go-to space sim these days so I don't need more distractions keeping me from playing it. I'm spending the majority of my gaming on DCS and Box right now to the detriment of all my other games.

I wonder am I the only one here that gets stuck on a certain genre/type of game for a couple months and ignore all others? For example, before this phase of mine I was solely focused on naval games: PT-Boats, WOW, and U-Boats. Before that only RTS games. I tend to go in cycles for some reason.

Gusington

Since April I was playing exclusively ancients games. Over the weekend I finally moved on to fantasy games like Diablo, Warhammer and Elder Scrolls.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd